New Fiona Apple Album Spring 2011

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank God. She hasn't released a bad record yet, and 2011 could always use another good'un.

I was kinda hoping for another Jon Brion-produced record though...he's one of my favorite producers going, and his work on When The Pawn is masterful.

"Criminal" and its music video is one of the best things to happen to pop culture in the last 15 years.

That is all.

"Criminal" and its music video is one of the best things to happen to pop culture in the last 15 years.

That is all.

I love that song. Video's really strange, but the song kicks all kinds of ass (and good lord, it's really been nearly 15 years since that song came out? Damn...).

I like what I've heard by Fiona over the years ("Shadowboxer"-:drool:...), so this is indeed good news. Can't wait to hear what she'll come up with next.

Angela

(and good lord, it's really been nearly 15 years since that song came out? Damn...).

Oh God, you just made me feel old right there!

I have to admit Fiona's "this world is bullshit" acceptance speech at the VMAs is classic. Even though it was a wrong choice of words, she did have a point.

She was nineteen years old when she made that speech, she's thirty-three now. It's unfortunate that people know her for things that aren't so great like Criminal (sorry, GAF) and that horrible acceptance speech when she's done so many other brilliant things.

Super artist. Would kill to see her in a tiny place like she occasionally plays here in So Cal.

Her appearances there are almost always unplanned, unfortunately, and are very rarely solo performances. She usually joins someone else onstage. But yeah, of course, seeing her there would be awesome.

Thank the lord. I was afraid she had retired after three albums.

If it's as good as the last album, it'll be wonderful.

Fiona and Drayton are producing.

Drayton in Drumhead magazine:

"For some time she'd been looking to perform her music in a different way than the original formula, which I believe may have been research toward a new path for ideas to flow musically. And during that phase I felt she'd soon find new territory to explore and create.

Not long after, she called and asked if I would listen to some new songs and ideas she'd been working on. The song treatments were piano and vocal only and on my first listen, I not only thought they were amazing, but also that they could have been released just as they were. I thought her fans would love that as well. Needless to say, I was overwhelmed to be one of the first to hear the body of work, although once I landed back on my feet, I realized the challenge in front of me.

Fiona expressed wanting to incorperate minimal instrumentation to the new material. She asked me how I would join rhythm to the pieces and if any ideas came to me, would I share them with her. She was already in producer mode.

A few weeks later I told her I had some ideas to investigate, so we went into the studio and it all began to unfold. In two weeks we'd pretty much built strong treatments for half of the songs. The feeling I had was like being on a great first date, one night after the next. She liked the character and space we were constructing. Eventually, I began to wonder when we would hit a bump, but some universal force left the path wide open for us to grow deeper into the journey.

At the end of two straight weeks, we looked at each other, exhausted but buzzing on something we'd never been on before, and she said she wanted to continue working on the project together.

Fiona and the material have exposed a much winder spectrum of my musical vocabulary, even to my surprise at times. Seldom does a musical experience reach my soul in the way Fiona's has. I'm blessed to have this chapter in my life."

And from Fiona:

"We're working together producing my next album, and the way that I feel with him has influenced the way I write. I've written things that are a little more challenging for me to play and a little more challenging for me to sing because I know that he's going to be with me and that I'm going to get that feeling of focus and dedication to every single thing that I get when I'm around him."

Some sour apple mongers are telling me that I should try the Jon Brion takes of Extraordinary Machine instead of the released version. Is this an important difference? If so, preferences?

note: i have not heard either version

Also, uh.....we'll see about that Spring '11 release date, ya?

Some sour apple mongers are telling me that I should try the Jon Brion takes of Extraordinary Machine instead of the released version. Is this an important difference? If so, preferences?

note: i have not heard either version

Also, uh.....we'll see about that Spring '11 release date, ya?

Yeah. The Jon Brion version is considerably better. Not that the release version is bad, but they tried to fix something that wasn't broken.

Track order is different too, though I think I like the title track opening the album better as on the release version.

I am a despicable humanoid. Sorry.

tumblr_l95rv6SdRd1qb4khro1_400.gif

Back
Top Bottom