Name the album you just bought, part 87

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks to Christmas gift cards and FYE going down:

Our Lady Peace - Spiritual Machines

Nice. Not my favorite of mine by them (Happiness... takes the cake for me), but a pretty solid concept album, I think. Too bad they really went downhill in the following years, eh? :lol: Burn Burn was just horrific.

Nice. Not my favorite of mine by them (Happiness... takes the cake for me), but a pretty solid concept album, I think. Too bad they really went downhill in the following years, eh? :lol: Burn Burn was just horrific.

Happiness... :love:. I'm a huuuge fan of Spiritual Machines though, I just love the R.K. broadcasts.

Ugh, don't speak to me of Burn Burn.

Raided fye yesterday:

cold war kids - loyalty to loyalty
ryan adams & the cardinals - cardinology
guided by voices - under the bushes under the stars
the police - synchronicity
men at work - business as usual
snow patrol - a hundred million suns
cut off your hands - you & i
the replacements - pleased to meet me
u2 - the unforgettable fire, remastered, deluxe
rem - document

Hmm. Since mid-December, I've been on a ludicrous binge.

funeral-arcade-fire.jpg

64c6784d50b3c29780cb71c3b9571f8d_full.jpg

flaming%20lips%20-%20Embryonic_cover.jpg

flaming.jpg

Tha-carter-iii.jpg

kala-packshot.jpg

jay-z-blueprint_l.jpg

lcdsoundsystem_sound_of_silver.jpeg

MyBloodyValentine-Loveless.jpg

interpol-antics.jpg

album-bright-eyes-im-wide-awake-its-morning1.jpg

5363-good-news-for-people-who-love-bad-news.jpg

i got screwed out of a shift at work today, some retard supervisor never put me on the schedule. so instead of being in the city, making money at my job, i drove north and spent a bunch of cash on cds. :up:

rancid - let the dominoes fall (because i forgot to pick it up when it came out last summer. got the super deluxe edition with the acoustic disc, dvd, posters, guitar picks and everything package)

saves the day - through being cool (because i am horribly addicted to stay what you are and my buddy who is into that stuff said that was a good album, too)

j mascis & the fog - more light (because it has "same day" on it, and the other night i realized what terrible shape my copy of that song is in, having been ghetto-dubbed to mp3 from a cassette tape years ago)

say anything - ...is a real boy (because SSD-fan buddy played it at work the other night, and to my surprise, after thinking it was crap when it came out, i really liked it)

say anything - in defense of the genre (because it was a lot of music for 5 bucks, and some of it is bound to be half-decent)

them crooked vultures - i guess it's self-titled. i don't know, my brother said check it out and given the stuff he's been into lately (tv on the radio, bowie, tom waits, flaming lips), i felt inclined to take his recommendation.

the jam - some compliation, which was also 5 bucks, which cleans up some of what i had of their catalogue.

now to rip it all to the external harddrive, and clean up misspelled stuff on my ipod til i get bored/my eyes start to bleed. seems i also never got around to ripping the new mark lind, the have nots, ash's trailer, morrissey's ringleader of the tormentors, which i've had for a little while now.

rancid - let the dominoes fall (because i forgot to pick it up when it came out last summer. got the super deluxe edition with the acoustic disc, dvd, posters, guitar picks and everything package)

them crooked vultures - i guess it's self-titled. i don't know, my brother said check it out and given the stuff he's been into lately (tv on the radio, bowie, tom waits, flaming lips), i felt inclined to take his recommendation.

Sorry to have led to your partial death. Rest assured that there are far more troubling things in my record collection than M.I.A.

As for these two records - I have to say I was disappointed by both. I'm odd when it comes to Rancid, though, because I probably enjoy Life Won't Wait and Indestructible more than any of the others, including ...And out Come the Wolves. I think my problem with the new album is pretty much my problem with all of them - they're overlong. Very few punk records can be engaging for that long, and Rancid really only has a few song types that they build from. It's like trying to build London Calling out of Nevermind the Bollocks. Some things are just better brief.

I'm still not sure how I feel about Them Crooked Vultures. It's got a great groove all the way through, but everything starts to run together.

Sorry to have led to your partial death. Rest assured that there are far more troubling things in my record collection than M.I.A.

As for these two records - I have to say I was disappointed by both. I'm odd when it comes to Rancid, though, because I probably enjoy Life Won't Wait and Indestructible more than any of the others, including ...And out Come the Wolves. I think my problem with the new album is pretty much my problem with all of them - they're overlong. Very few punk records can be engaging for that long, and Rancid really only has a few song types that they build from. It's like trying to build London Calling out of Nevermind the Bollocks. Some things are just better brief.

I'm still not sure how I feel about Them Crooked Vultures. It's got a great groove all the way through, but everything starts to run together.

yeah, i'm sure some might say i own some things more disturbing than mia, it's just that one fucking song makes me want to puke every time i hear it. every time i hear it i think i'm about to hear "straight to hell" and it turns into something entirely different (which i would probably hate as its own entity), and that just makes me angry. very angry. it's not even a purist thing. i do not always have such a strong aversion to sampling. that song makes me want to throw furniture and slaughter small, defenseless animals, puncture my eardrums and pour bleach down my ear canals.

haven't listened to them crooked vultures yet. it's on the lower end of the priority list as far as listening and getting to know that stack of records goes. as much as i hate to admit it, i haven't listened to anything other than the say anything stuff and the rancid album tonight. rook has been in my car the last few days, but i haven't even made it to the bouncing souls disc yet.

the new rancid is...ok at first couple listens. i love life won't wait, and i really did like indestructible a lot more than it seems most long-time fans did. i didn't get into rancid til 1999 or so, and even if i am kind of burnt out on the wolves album, it's always going to be an important album to me. hell, you could pinpoint that album as the very first place i got into punk rock, and that's something i've probably mentioned before so i am not going to get into it right now (plus i'm tired. i was on my way to bed, but figured i'd stop in here real quick before i got offline for the night). so far, the songs i really enjoy are the ones that sounded like they picked up where indestructible left off, and the others are just boring. i see what you're saying about their albums being too long, but they were one of my favorite bands at a time when i was a kid and i would sometimes find myself standing in a record store, picking one album over another based off which one had more songs. if you're looking for an album as a cohesive entity, they're not that band. to this day i still mix up several songs off ...wolves until i get half a verse in because they are all based off 2 or 3 different forms, like you were saying. and i do the same thing with let's go, and nevermind that i can't remember how 50% of rancid 2000 even goes. this album came out back in june and i'm just picking it up now. but if you listen to them as something catchy you can sing along to, and don't read too deeply into/expect a great artistic masterpiece, it's fun, enjoyable punk rock. and like i was saying, they were too much a base of my music-listening life that i'll be buying their records til one of the following happens 1) they stop making em 2) they put out the equivalent of htdaab 3) lars or tim or matt leave the band and the remaining members go on putting out albums under the rancid name even though they could only be a sad imitation at that point.

i really liked tim armstrong's solo album with the aggrolites. that was good.

I don't mean to hijack this and turn it into a Rancid thread, so this will be the last thing I post. Probably. I will give Dominoes another spin, though. To this day, my favorite Rancid song is "St. Mary". Maybe more story songs would do them well. Or maybe more of the slower, acoustic-y tracks. No matter what, even if their albums don't hold together for me, they have yet to release anything as bad as Social D's cover of "Death or Glory," which I think trumps "Paper Planes" in the "abuses of the Clash" category.

Sorry, I just seem to remember us sharing a gripefest over that cover.

I don't mean to hijack this and turn it into a Rancid thread, so this will be the last thing I post. Probably. I will give Dominoes another spin, though. To this day, my favorite Rancid song is "St. Mary". Maybe more story songs would do them well. Or maybe more of the slower, acoustic-y tracks. No matter what, even if their albums don't hold together for me, they have yet to release anything as bad as Social D's cover of "Death or Glory," which I think trumps "Paper Planes" in the "abuses of the Clash" category.

Sorry, I just seem to remember us sharing a gripefest over that cover.

see, st mary doesn't really do all that much for me. i like it, it's definitely one of the better tunes off let's go. but then again, one of my weird quirks is that i like the songs matt freeman sings, so...

oh man, i forgot about that cover! why did you remind me?

nah, paper planes is still worse. the social d cover is just a terrible, disaster of a cover of one of my all-time favorite songs. mia uses one of the best songs ever written to make her very own crappy song. in my book, that's a more grievous offense in the hierarchy of musical crimes a band/artist can commit. it's easily in my top 5 most hated songs ever.

c'mon, when was the last time you hijacked a thread with me? :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom