Los Campesinos! -- WE ARE BEAUTIFUL, WE ARE DOOMED - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 09-12-2008, 12:03 AM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
This band releasing two albums in one year is like scoring some hot chick who then is like , "hey my hot best friend thinks you're hot and wants to get with you, and I'm totally ok with it".
So it would be just like any other Friday night for me?

Cool.

Old 09-12-2008, 02:20 AM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Well, barring unimaginable incident (ie, if Radiohead actually releases this: THE-FLY.CO.UK / Top Stories / Radiohead Reveal New Album Details), this will be the first year in my lifetime in which one band has released the two best LPs of the year. Ridiculous. I really, really, really miss Dave Newfeld's work on the boards, but there is almost nothing about which even I can think to complain, here.

I cannot believe this...I mean, The Hold Steady releases Stay Positive, Johnny Foreigner releases Waited Up Till It Was Light, Ruby Suns release Sea Lion, and The Mae Shi releases the stunning HLLLYH, and I'm not even willing to consider a single one of these releases as the best thing I've heard. Not even close. I will borrow from the Ian Mathers Youngster... review on PopMatters:

"Los Campesinos! are the first band of my own generation I have ever had real, honest-to-goodness faith in. I believe in these guys, and I swear to you that I have the standard issue Internet-scribe pragmatic shield against hype. Like a lot of contemporaries, overly explicit proclamations of ambition/belief/love tend to make me squeamish. But I have started buttonholing friends and making them listen to this album. Cynics and those who just don’t feel it may claim instead that this is, at best, just a collection of good songs, with witty lyrics, without much dynamic variation; but I tell you today, five or ten or 20 years from now, the only way we won’t be speaking of Hold on Now, Youngster… as a classic will be if Los Campesinos! have already topped it."

I may be ignorant and I may be stupid, but I'm sure-as-fuck happy, listening to these kids.

Old 09-12-2008, 03:45 AM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by If you shout... View Post
No shit? I was just thinking that I wouldn't be surprised if Radiohead came out with some new material soon. Awesome.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:38 AM   #19
Refugee

Local Time: 07:20 AM

I approve
Old 09-12-2008, 12:17 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by got_edge View Post

I approve
That is awesome. And hot. God damn...!
Old 09-12-2008, 12:26 PM   #21
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by If you shout... View Post
Well, barring unimaginable incident (ie, if Radiohead actually releases this: THE-FLY.CO.UK / Top Stories / Radiohead Reveal New Album Details), this will be the first year in my lifetime in which one band has released the two best LPs of the year. Ridiculous. I really, really, really miss Dave Newfeld's work on the boards, but there is almost nothing about which even I can think to complain, here.

I cannot believe this...I mean, The Hold Steady releases Stay Positive, Johnny Foreigner releases Waited Up Till It Was Light, Ruby Suns release Sea Lion, and The Mae Shi releases the stunning HLLLYH, and I'm not even willing to consider a single one of these releases as the best thing I've heard. Not even close. I will borrow from the Ian Mathers Youngster... review on PopMatters:

"Los Campesinos! are the first band of my own generation I have ever had real, honest-to-goodness faith in. I believe in these guys, and I swear to you that I have the standard issue Internet-scribe pragmatic shield against hype. Like a lot of contemporaries, overly explicit proclamations of ambition/belief/love tend to make me squeamish. But I have started buttonholing friends and making them listen to this album. Cynics and those who just don’t feel it may claim instead that this is, at best, just a collection of good songs, with witty lyrics, without much dynamic variation; but I tell you today, five or ten or 20 years from now, the only way we won’t be speaking of Hold on Now, Youngster… as a classic will be if Los Campesinos! have already topped it."

I may be ignorant and I may be stupid, but I'm sure-as-fuck happy, listening to these kids.
Even though I cannot wait for U2popscumbo to go to Japan and punch you in the face, this has inspired me to check this band out.
Old 09-12-2008, 01:58 PM   #22
Blue Crack Supplier

If you're not into whiny British male singers, you may have a hard time getting past Gareth's voice.

I have a feeling Hold On Now Youngster and Malkmus's Real Emotional Trash are going to be neck and neck til the end of the year for my #1 spot.
Old 09-12-2008, 02:35 PM   #23
Refugee

Local Time: 07:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words View Post
this has inspired me to check this band out.
Not the underwear?
Old 09-12-2008, 03:35 PM   #24
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by got_edge View Post
Not the underwear?
SILENCE!
Old 09-13-2008, 10:31 AM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
I cannot wait for U2popscumbo to go to Japan and punch you in the face
I still don't understand this. Somebody link me to where this gag started. I was without the internet for about a month, from the last few days of July through the vast majority of August, and I clearly missed something.

Also, "Miserabilia" is better than life. So is the rest of the record, of course...just maybe not quite as much better.
Old 09-13-2008, 03:04 PM   #26
Blue Crack Supplier

I still think my favorite is Documented Minor Emotional Breakdown #1, and the title track.
Old 09-24-2008, 04:55 PM   #27
Blue Crack Supplier

So I listened to "Hold on Now, Youngster" and thought it was ok. Then gave it a 2nd listen on my flight out to NYC, and was like, "this is pretty good". Then I listened to it on the plane back and was like "this is good". Then I listened all day at work yesterday and was like "this is great". There you have it.

IYS, I do not recall the thread, I just know that U2popscumbo made mention of wanting to go to Japan for a few reasons, but one was to punch you in the face.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:02 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
So I listened to "Hold on Now, Youngster" and thought it was ok. Then gave it a 2nd listen on my flight out to NYC, and was like, "this is pretty good". Then I listened to it on the plane back and was like "this is good". Then I listened all day at work yesterday and was like "this is great". There you have it.
Sounds about right. Good for you. Welcome to the fold. The new record is brilliant and surprisingly different from what's come before. It is a Goodmanson production, through and through. I miss Newf, but Sleater-Kinney was the shit and apparently would've sounded awesome, if they were to be resurrected as a suger-rush, hyper-twee pop-a-thon band. Wonderful stuff. Stream the title track and others legally, and read a nice little write-up, from a link, right here!:

"We Are Beautiful, We Are Doomed" [Stream] | Pitchfork
Old 09-25-2008, 06:20 PM   #29
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Welcome to the club. It's a grower for a lot of people, despite how catchy it is.

Once I got hooked I was just playing it over and over again.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:02 PM   #30
Blue Crack Supplier

Also, that DMEB1 song you can stream on the MySpace is my aforementioned favorite.

STREAM THAT SHIT.

Tags
los campesinos