Los Campesinos! -- ROMANCE IS BORING

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm gassing up my truck and heading to Los Angeles tomorrow morning. If I see Laz out and about, a cockpunch will be delivered.

You can usually find me with these guys:

protest.jpg

Hopefully Amazon delivers my copy tomorrow, as they were supposed to. The tracking info doesn't have me feeling very confident in them at this point. We shall see.

I really wish Waterloo was open past midnight. This thing needs to be mine already.

About to head down to the record store. They're closing in four days, so who knows if they're even acquiring new records at this point? They had Contra, though, so who knows.

I'm going to head down pretty soon to snag it too. I was going to wait until vinyl happy hour for the ten percent off (since I'll be getting both RIB and Teen Dream), but I really can't wait much longer.

Guess you feel like a major sucker for deleting that link months ago.

Ouch.

Personally, I'm probably not going to buy the album until I see them live in May.

Not really. It's not like the two discs are shitty just because the packaging was completely mailed in.

Don't yet have my copy in my hands. Still a few more hours to go. What's the packaging like? On whichever version you/y'all have?

Two records. Gatefold. Lyric booklet is just one from the CD copy stuffed in there.

b495x3.jpg

jq00p4.jpg

Ha ha ha. In which song does he sing that...? I really liked them shits. Thanks for the info, impo. Shame about the lyric booklet. Same shit that A&C pulled on the last one. They've really started pissing me off, those fucks.

Ha ha ha. In which song does he sing that...? I really liked them shits. Thanks for the info, impo. Shame about the lyric booklet. Same shit that A&C pulled on the last one. They've really started pissing me off, those fucks.

It makes me wonder if the UK vinyl is any different. Gareth keeps going on and on about how "beautiful" it is, so maybe they've got a different one going around. He ever said there was extra artwork in the vinyl, which I'm doubting very much after seeing mine.

I can sing along to good chunks of these songs, but I don't really know the titles too well. That's owing not just to an ignored MySpace tab, but also to how ridiculous so many of the titles sound, to me.

Upon listen #3...

Straight in at 101 should have been the next single, but whatever.

This.

Some people give themselves to religion
Some people give themselves to a cause
Some people give themselves to a lover
I have to give myself to girls

Romance just gets better and better. Not that I considered Gareth a lousy lyricist before, but he's certainly improved several notches as a writer. This is some good shit, certainly his most mature collection of observations and witty repartee to date. Also, while it's undeniable that their early work featured Romance's wide scope, this album contains incredible variety and consistently tuneful execution of that kaleidoscope of sounds. Fucking love this, all of it.

In Medias Res is still my favorite, but this is one of those albums that's so loaded with kickassness that holds up well for all 48 minutes. There Are Listed Buildings was a lousy first single though, and one of the blander tracks. The other weak link is The Sea...I just can't get into it. Kills the mood for me. Plan A and 200 - 102 don't amount to much, but I like them well enough. Otherwise, superb.

I think the music is fine, perhaps a bit too obviously the requisite epic, swelling ballad, but fine. It's the lyrical shift from everything prior that makes it feel like the Very Special Episode of the album, and that sort of bothers me.

And I think Straight in at 101 would be a great single, as well. The only problem with it is that I hate the ending. I generally don't like the whole ending vocal with no music thing anyway, and that song definitely doesn't work with that.

I could do without "Plan A" and ",Who Fell Asleep In." Probably "Listed Buildings" too. Other than that, I really like the album. A lot of highlights, with "We've Got Your Back," "I Just Sighed," and "The Sea" being my real favorites.

How am I the only one that thinks This Is A Flag is the greatest thing ever?

I haven't experienced anything that instantly catchy since pulling an STD off you-know-who.

It's the best song in the second half IMO. Top 5 for me:

1. In Medias Res
2. Straight In At 101
3. Romance Is Boring
4. This Is A Flag
5. We've Got Your Back

How am I the only one that thinks This Is A Flag is the greatest thing ever?

I haven't experienced anything that instantly catchy since pulling an STD off you-know-who.
It's awesome, just not my absolute favorite. And I wouldn't include it in the single discussion because who wants that opening censored? Nobody, that's who.

Back
Top Bottom