Los Campesinos! -- ROMANCE IS BORING

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Did In Rainbows leak? Or, because there was no record company involved, did it remain untouched until its online release?

Part rant, part hypothesizing, part working class philosophizing, part confessional, all overly earnest:

And the sad part is that I can't get a lot of these records because record stores are disappearing. I can't think of more than two within a half hour of me. And I lack the ability to shop online because I don't have a credit card (or even access to one), so I'm pretty restricted.

...I guess that what I was trying to get at in my last substantive post was largely how strange I find it that, so very often, the people who are following the rules are the ones who take cover, in regards to these issues. The Wild West is a crazily apt metaphor for all of this, basically.

This is just the nearest quote, so it's easier. This isn't as representative as it should be.

I'd hate for what I said to be misconstrued as vitriol against Scumbo. In a perfect world, his example would be the one I'd follow to a tee. Sure, we poke fun at his staunchness, but I don't think any of us think he's stupid for doing what is, in all honesty, the right thing.

Once I have more money, I'd certainly like to phase out downloading entirely. At least for me. So yeah, the "I'm poor" excuse can be a shitty one to use for some, but it really is the only thing keeping me downloading. I certainly don't feel entitled to get music for free whenever I want.

I'm still curious as to what you guys think about used CDs. That money doesn't go to the band. When you buy one, all it does is POTENTIALLY make someone else who's looking for it have to purchase it new. Or maybe they just wait until another used copy shows up.

And buying/selling used CDs is completely legal. Should one have a guilty conscience if they only buy stuff used?

I'd hate for what I said to be misconstrued as vitriol against Scumbo. In a perfect world, his example would be the one I'd follow to a tee. Sure, we poke fun at his staunchness, but I don't think any of us think he's stupid for doing what is, in all honesty, the right thing.

Once I have more money, I'd certainly like to phase out downloading entirely. At least for me. So yeah, the "I'm poor" excuse can be a shitty one to use for some, but it really is the only thing keeping me downloading. I certainly don't feel entitled to get music for free whenever I want.

I agree with all of this, and it pretty much reflects what I'm thinking here.

Yeah, I can't remember anyone actually making fun of Scumbo for his ethics, or getting rude about it. It's basically when someone talks about downloading something, we refer to Utahian Justice being on their trail. We're certainly making light of his position, but not ridiculing him for it.

I'll third this sentiment.

My thing is that, yes, downloading steals from artists, without a doubt. And, yes, I do the best I can to buy vinyl (if there's no vinyl though, it's not getting purchased, period) and to go to shows/buy merch when I can. I fully recognize the fact that I am doing something that is at the least, in a legal gray area with moral ambiguities, and at the worst, completely illegal and immoral. But, at the same time, there is simply no way that I would have expanded my listening habits in the exponential way I have over the past couple of years without downloading. And for that, I am immensely grateful. So, I guess, in the end, I'm torn and ambivalent towards downloading, and like a lot of others (at least the ones that consider themselves true music fans as well), I'm still trying to reconcile its role in the music industry today. It's obviously not going away, and there are serious debates about exactly how much downloading has hurt the industry's sales (although, it's delivered a hit, to some extent, obviously) in the first place. Regardless, it's a big clusterfuck now, one that nobody knows what the hell to do about.

I'm still curious as to what you guys think about used CDs. That money doesn't go to the band. When you buy one, all it does is POTENTIALLY make someone else who's looking for it have to purchase it new. Or maybe they just wait until another used copy shows up.

And buying/selling used CDs is completely legal. Should one have a guilty conscience if they only buy stuff used?

I have never figured out my stance on buying used CDs. Like, it's something I've been conflicted and confused about since literally the pre-internet age. Or at least since the very early '90s, when I first started seriously listening to my mom's Talking Heads and Pink Floyd records. I have never understood why or how that is legal, given the reality of what is happening (you are paying somebody else taxable dollars for the record of an artist who will never see a single cent of that money); in the recent internet age, it's even more confusing. For myself, I generally buy used box sets, compilations/reissues, very big name acts, or (of course) reasonably priced OOP recordings of whatever kind.

I have personally felt guilty about buying tons of used stuff, when I've been in that habit, but I just don't know. I'm all over the place. It's kind of like the inverse of "download first, then buy"--it's legal, but it's maybe not AS legal (or idealistic) as buying it new. There have been small pushes to outlaw used sales, in recent years (even if just through broad language in potential legislation), but they never gained any steam. Because, you know, people would lose their fucking minds.

Yeah, I can't remember anyone actually making fun of Scumbo for his ethics, or getting rude about it.

It seems possible or likely that I am and have been overreacting, then. Or under-reacting, given the circumstances. Either way, I can't imagine people not taking note of that reverse persecution across the internet.

And I should just come out and say it--I'm actually waiting, for this record. Not easy. REALLY not easy. And now I sound like a jackass, because I was all like, "Nah, nah, I already heard it 15 times. You guys don't know anything. Shit is amazing." I'll still stand by the amazing remark, because the songs I've heard both sound great and the one or two write-ups I've read maintain that it's a beautiful piece of work. But, yes, I'm trying to do the right thing. I guess I'm also the worst kind of elitist/fipster around, now--the dude who lies about what he's heard so as to be cool and save face. On a message board. I am, as they say, losing my edge.

Somebody on the LC! board mentioned that he was trying to hold off on dl'ing it, but that his brother didn't give a shit, meaning that he, himself, could hear his brother listening to it, upstairs. That's a very modern story, right there. What a strange age in which we live. I really doubt that I'll have any kind of similar experience, but I will be curious to see whether or not I hear it before any shows I go to, in the weeks leading up to the release. I mentioned Hail to the Thief, upthread, and vividly recall hearing it not just before shows, but actually ON THE RADIO, months before its release. Nothing like living at a university, I guess.

Oh, and I'm standing by my Newfeld support, too. I miss him, though, in general. Doesn't do enough work, these days. I have no idea that that SFA record didn't get him more consistent, higher profile work, but whatever. I really hope that LC!, or even SFA, hooks back up with him, in the near future. Even if just for a single, or two.

And I should just come out and say it--I'm actually waiting, for this record. Not easy. REALLY not easy. And now I sound like a jackass, because I was all like, "Nah, nah, I already heard it 15 times. You guys don't know anything. Shit is amazing." I'll still stand by the amazing remark, because the songs I've heard both sound great and the one or two write-ups I've read maintain that it's a beautiful piece of work. But, yes, I'm trying to do the right thing. I guess I'm also the worst kind of elitist/fipster around, now--the dude who lies about what he's heard so as to be cool and save face. On a message board. I am, as they say, losing my edge.

:ohmy:

Wow, IYS. That's pretty admirable, and I do not envy you now. I hope my earlier taunting when we first got the leak hasn't made it too much worse!

In the spirit of this discussion, I guess, I went ahead and deleted the album from my hard drive. One listen was enough to tide me over until the physical copy is here.

In the spirit of this discussion, I guess, I went ahead and deleted the album from my hard drive. One listen was enough to tide me over until the physical copy is here.

I think, actually, that that's the toughest thing to do. Or, anyway, it has been. For me. Over the years. I think that holding onto stuff one promised him- or herself he or she'd delete is a general issue, and know that it's one, for me, Why the fuck is my burned-from-a-friend's-CDs The Anthology of American Folk Music even on my computer, anymore? I haven't listened to it in more than three years. Not a single song. I don't know, but it is. It's ridiculous. Not only will I probably never again listen to it (it was and still is mostly a curiosity, for me), but I never actually enjoyed it in any substantive way, to begin with.

Of course, that's at least abstractly different than taking a record which you either expect to love or will love, and which you will buy. Still, it's an interesting and I believe widespread phenomenon which plagues a lot of new wave musical obsessives. Especially for those people who share in-print music via whatever folder in which it all resides, I think that's a big issue. Even long, long before I got more concerned about these things, I designated either empty or OOP folders for that sort of thing. I really, really, really doubt, though, that everyone takes those things into consideration. Maybe I'm incredibly wrong? No way to be sure, I suppose.

Anyway, that's another thing maybe worth thinking about, in the grand scheme of things. Also, I asked this somewhere else but haven't yet gotten a reply--what does Jamie Stewart to? I think that I read that he just contributed some Xiu Xiu-esque shrieks, but am not sure and can't find the link in question. Is that him, on "There Are Listed Buildings"? I think that it is, but don't know for sure. Is there anything on there that's a more obvious candidate?

I hope my earlier taunting when we first got the leak hasn't made it too much worse!

You have no idea how, I guess, weirdly and unexpectedly this has all played out, for me. No idea. Really weird 36ish hours, over here. Ultimately, I'm just too sensitive about certain things and need to do a better job of stepping back and not taking things so personally. These are of course bigger, more personal issues than just online message board-related things, but whatever. I post on a few boards, to say the least, and constantly wind up taking non-issues too seriously. Gotta get past it. Give me hell, I suppose. Gotta grow back up.

Shouter, I'm actually very good about deleting stuff I don't listen to and/or won't buy, believe it or not. Sure, it's difficult to do, just because holding on to it does me absolutely no harm in the long run and there's a very off chance I may come back to it some day, but more often than not, I feel better about getting rid of things.

And fuck you, Laz. LA doesn't have a team and the Bears suck. I'm covering both of your hometown bases there. I don't even know which NFL team you like.

Oh, the Bears suck[/]. I always try to pull for them (though this year I was really pulling for the Ortons and the San Fran Samurai), but they suck. Make no mistake. Didn't even deserve to be in the playoffs, let alone the SB, in 2006. But at least they're not the Cowboys. Remember when Flozell Adams got his 353rd penalty of the season, on Saturday? I do.

Laz roots for the Niners. The Niners! Ha. I saw them on Sunday. They came to Philly. Ha.

And fuck you, Laz. LA doesn't have a team and the Bears suck. I'm covering both of your hometown bases there. I don't even know which NFL team you like.

I appear to have touched a nerve. I despise the Bears, and probably get more pleasure out of watching them suck than seeing any NFL team do well, especially because of their idiotic fans who perennially overrate their abilities. Plus, anyone that ever rooted for Rex Grossman should probably be in some kind of re-education camp.

Laz roots for the Niners. The Niners! Ha. I saw them on Sunday. They came to Philly. Ha.

Yes, but I couldn't call myself a dedicated fan anymore. To be fair, the 49ers have lost several close games, and are probably as playoff-worthy as some of the other borderline contenders. They fucking beat Arizona twice.

OK, I'm sure you guys are aware, but yeah, Romance Is Boring is fantastic. The difference is, I actively disliked Los Camp!11111111111 before this album. Something about their sound irritated the living hell out of me. But this...I dunno. The music is heavier, their guitar sound is better, the production is more interesting and versatile, the lyrics have greater bite, and they're simply not so damn perky anymore (not necessarily a flaw to begin with, just an issue of personal preference) They've upgraded nearly every facet of their sound, and the result is a very special album. Not sure how long I'll be on the bandwagon, but I'll support this record to the bitter end. In Medias Res is my favorite, a masterpiece of an opener.

I appreciate that you gave them a second and third chance, LM. Glad you like it.

I think There Are Listed Buildings might be my least favorite, because it almost sounds like self-parody, or too much in the old Los Camp formula, horns notwithstanding.

I know he won't win with a best-case-scenario 8-8 record, but Singletary is as good a candidate for Coach of the Year as anyone. Really.

Absolutely. It's just a shame that they caved with Crabtree. That weak-ass display seemed to curse the team and its spineless higher ups. Total bullshit. If they didn't sign him, they would've won the West handily...and they very nearly did win it. Fuck the haters, man. Samurai 4evr.

I fucking love "There Are Listed Buildings," though, man. You be crazy.

Well, he's not right about the "best album" thing, but every artist feels that way about their new material. I also like that he says he understands why so many people are eager to hear it and wind up downloading it, and it's encouraging to hear him saying he hopes we like it regardless.

Also, when In Media Res kicks back into high gear with the drums and violin(?) at approximately 3:30 is one of the greatest Los Camp moments, EVER.

Back
Top Bottom