LM's Top 10 Albums and Best Of 2008 playlist...thread - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 12-27-2008, 05:35 PM   #16
The Male

Local Time: 07:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words View Post
Have you seen them Live yet? I caught them early in the year, and was fairly blown away. Just a perfect concert.

Thanks for the list, well done as usual.
No, I haven't had the chance. I've been praying the rumors about Elbow supporting U2 in 2009 are true, but they hardly ever are.

Where did you see them? Do they tour in the states often?

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 09:29 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
That and Mirrorball are simply perfect.
Quote:
Just a perfect concert.
It's funny, I keep using "perfect" to describe certain Elbow songs. One night after listening, in particular, to The Bones of You, I sat back in utter satisfaction and declared it a perfect song.

Old 12-27-2008, 09:34 PM   #18
Blue Crack Distributor

Okay, I heard the Bon Iver record.

I need to buy that. Like, now.
Old 12-27-2008, 09:48 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post

It's grown on me quite a bit. I suspected it would, after my initial lukewarm response. I think I now love "Flume" more than "Skinny Love." I have cooked some lovely meals this week listening to it, and it gave me a warm, happy feeling, which is kind of weird since it's not exactly a warm, happy record. I guess I appreciate my own solitude quite a bit and am very comfortable in that place, so I like where this record comes from.
Old 12-27-2008, 09:48 PM   #20
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post

The bookends of that album are incredible, but I found myself singing Blindsided earlier today. Yeah, everyone needs to buy that album ASAP.

Now.
Old 12-27-2008, 09:52 PM   #21
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:13 PM
To start, I'm getting Fleet Foxes, then I'll probably look to this playlist for advice on what else to get. Dear Science has been on my list.
Old 12-27-2008, 09:55 PM   #22
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26 View Post
To start, I'm getting Fleet Foxes, then I'll probably look to this playlist for advice on what else to get. Dear Science has been on my list.
Make sure you give Fleet Foxes more than a listen or two.
Old 12-27-2008, 09:57 PM   #23
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
No, I haven't had the chance. I've been praying the rumors about Elbow supporting U2 in 2009 are true, but they hardly ever are.

Where did you see them? Do they tour in the states often?
They do not seem to do massive touring of the States.

I saw them here in Chicago, at an insanely small but comfortable venue. This added to the perfection of the night. Sold out, but not crowded at all, nobody more than two hundred feet from the stage, etc.

I'd be beyond pleased if they toured with U2.
Old 12-27-2008, 10:00 PM   #24
The Male

Quote:
They do not seem to do massive touring of the States.

I saw them here in Chicago, at an insanely small but comfortable venue. This added to the perfection of the night. Sold out, but not crowded at all, nobody more than two hundred feet from the stage, etc.

I'd be beyond pleased if they toured with U2.
That's awesome. Reminds me of the Wilco gig I went to...just perfect...only around 2,500 people, great sound, warm venue on a cold night.

It certainly wouldn't be that intimate if Elbow were to open for U2, but I'll take it.

Now.
Old 12-27-2008, 10:04 PM   #25
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
That's awesome. Reminds me of the Wilco gig I went to...just perfect...only around 2,500 people, great sound, warm venue on a cold night.

It certainly wouldn't be that intimate if Elbow were to open for U2, but I'll take it.
I saw Wilco here at their Winter residency, and while it was a fantastic show, the venue was fucking jammed down on the floor. You could not move, and after a while it felt claustrophobic. Took away from the show a little bit, sadly.

Ha, yeah, it'll be a new world for Elbow if they tour with U2, very different venues...but it'll still be great. U2 opening acts have been very hit and miss for me over the 21 years I've seen them on tour.
Old 12-27-2008, 10:10 PM   #26
The Male

Quote:
I saw Wilco here at their Winter residency, and while it was a fantastic show, the venue was fucking jammed down on the floor. You could not move, and after a while it felt claustrophobic. Took away from the show a little bit, sadly.

Ha, yeah, it'll be a new world for Elbow if they tour with U2, very different venues...but it'll still be great. U2 opening acts have been very hit and miss for me over the 21 years I've seen them on tour.
The Arcade Fire gig I was at was like that. They invited the fans down to the floor after the first song, but it was a mixed blessing. Wilco's crowd was considerably more civil, for better or worse. The guy next to me sat through much of the show, drinking. Apparently, that was his 11th Wilco gig or something.

U2 has had so many great artists support them (Rage, Pearl Jam, PJ Harvey), and it could be the venues, the timing, or just the crowd ruining the atmosphere, but you never hear much about those gigs. Opening for U2 is a death trap for so many reasons. Still...ELBOW.

Now.
Old 12-27-2008, 10:14 PM   #27
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
The Arcade Fire gig I was at was like that. They invited the fans down to the floor after the first song, but it was a mixed blessing. Wilco's crowd was considerably more civil, for better or worse. The guy next to me sat through much of the show, drinking. Apparently, that was his 11th Wilco gig or something.

U2 has had so many great artists support them (Rage, Pearl Jam, PJ Harvey), and it could be the venues, the timing, or just the crowd ruining the atmosphere, but you never hear much about those gigs. Opening for U2 is a death trap for so many reasons. Still...ELBOW.
Well, you named three of the opening acts I've seen and liked a lot. I'll talk about PJ opening for them in Hawaii all day long if you like.

I also enjoyed Lone Justice, believe it or not, back in 1987. Their music was not amazing or anything, but it fit the mood of the crowd perfectly. What a show that was.

Sorry, I digress. I also saw Primus open for them, Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy and some others I am sure are well liked by many, just not by me. Kings of Leon were ok for me, not great, but not as bad as most U2 fans seemed to think they were.

Elbow + U2. Good lord.
Old 12-27-2008, 10:15 PM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

I saw Jeff Tweedy two years ago with an audience of about 75 people. I was about a foot in front of him. I could see his dental work and nose hairs which was a bit much actually, lol. But it was pretty damn perfect.

I want to see Elbow before (if/when) they tour with U2.

Because after that, it'll be a whole different deal. But I may have missed that train.
Old 12-27-2008, 10:18 PM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Well, you named three of the opening acts I've seen and liked a lot. I'll talk about PJ opening for them in Hawaii all day long if you like.
I loved PJ opening for U2 - I was in the heart for one of those shows.

I also have some vague and possibly wrong impression that I saw the Sugarcubes open for U2 at MSG during ZooTV. Is that possible?
Old 12-27-2008, 10:20 PM   #30
Blue Crack Supplier

I have not seen many bands I love in small venues, but I did see Catherine Wheel's last two ever shows, at a small venue in LA. Well, I think they were their last ever shows, could have just been their last US dates ever. Anyway, I was really fucking close to them both times, and it was amazing for me. I'm a HUGE fan of theirs, so I was just blown away both nights. Sucks that they broke up, but I guess it had to happen. I'm babbling.