Kings of Leon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Listened to it over the weekend and sadly I think once is enough. Maybe 2 songs stood out for me. Was a big fan of their first 3 albums (Because of the Times, being a perfect balance of old KOL & new) but these last 2 albums fail to amaze, with the latest being the worst.

I don't hear any signature guitar riffs, inspired drum n bass parts (like early albums) and Caleb's melodies/voice sound very obligatory leaving nothing to be desired. I think KOL need to take a break. They've been at it for a while and "Come Around Sundown" reassures that notion for me.

Radioactive might be the most inexplicable top 40 single ever; it's entirely hook-free and has nothing particularly novel or gimmicky going on in it. I see absolutely no reason why anyone would care about it, save for the KoL name.

I listen to everything these days, even the shittiest albums, so I'll probably hit this up later tonight.

The End - Wow, an opener called The End? Their creativity was at critical mass. It's not bad, a bit plodding and samey but not without a nice beat and a cute sentiment. The last 20 seconds are gorgeous but KoL lacks the balls to use anything more than the reverb knob to color their songs, so forget that being at the forefront.

Radioactive - The titles just keep getting more radical. This one lacks an engaging melody of any kind, and only the ridiculously out-of-place guitar line and bad math-rock beat stand out. It's a lame song, and an even lamer first single.

Pyro - No fireworks here, sadly. Yet another comatose ballad, which is a shame, because this is probably the prettiest one yet. The fact that it's not called Sex Pyro shows improvement over the last album.

Mary - Confused pop-rocker with a slight bluesy tinge that is produced so badly I can barely hear the hook inherent in the track. Probably will sound better live, but I'll never care enough to know.

The Face - So KoL really don't care that every band on earth sounds like this now? They have become Temper Trap, but with more soul, so you could be listening to worse (like Temper Trap). Never takes off, and the chorus is awful/mired in ZOMG WE CAN BE THE TWOOOOOOOO, but the verses have a slinky verve about them.

The Immortals - Track 6 and the only thing I hear that's immortal about this trend-hopping record is KoL's desire to make the same song over and over. I predicted like three songs ago when the chorus for this one would come in. I may start pasting my descriptions elsewhere to save me some time. BTW, the bass player makes a good groove on this one. It's just that the rest of the song is so lazy and nondescript that I won't remember anything else about it.

Back Down South - I laughed out loud when I saw the title. Yes, KoL ate some KFC and decided to find a spot for a slide guitar in their usual turgid formula. They didn't have time to use more than one chord though. Good God, that had to be the least passionate end to a hoedown I've ever heard. Can't fucking wait for Pickup Truck.

Beach Side - Probably my favorite song so far. Solid beat, very pretty melody, attractive slide guitar...it's definitely relaxing in a Jimmy Buffet meets uh, U2 kind of way.

No Money - Yeah, I doubt that. Not when you've copped the chorus of Sex On Fire, note-for-note, to forge the chorus for one. You're going to be doing just fine, I think. He said "fucking" though, so I'm sure the album will be blacklisted.

Pony Up - The BPM of this one rises slightly above 120, maybe 122 or something, but those painfully treble-y guitars in the non-chorus remind me of All Because of You in the worst of ways. One step forward, then fucking collapse.

Birthday - I wish this were never born. [insert default description of all new KoL songs here]

Mi Amigo - Sounds like an Uncle Cracker single recorded by a band that should know better. With random mariachi horns. The question is, which came first, the title or the mariachi horns? The latter is so ill-advised that I'm siding with that for the time being. Probably will be a single, but no one will notice when the sound of their car's engine, air conditioning and the road below are so much more attention-grabbing.

Pickup Truck - Shit, nearly 5 minutes? Getting a bit ambitious there. But is it good enough to show off at the county fair? Well, it's supposed to be a ballad or something, but the bass line is working against the melody, trying its damndest to rock out when EVERYTHING ELSE is going in the opposite direction. KoL is irritating enough these days without trying for dissonance. Anyway, yeah, it's bad. Consider the album totaled.

In sum: the songs are all slightly tweaked versions of the one preceding it, so it's probably best not to focus on those. What about other elements? Well, for one, this really is one of the worst produced albums I've ever heard. It sounds like they heard Interpol was going out on tour, so they stole their facilities, got drunk, and re-recorded an upcoming b-sides collection in their sleep. Furthermore:

Kings of Adult Contemporary.

I can't believe how tepid this album is.

I'm halfway through, and am very, very close to falling asleep.

It's a musical flatline. I'll give it a C for generally being pleasant and not having a song as obnoxiously cloying and transparent as Use Somebody, but it's a faaaaaaaaaaaaar cry from the genuine inspiration of Because Of The Times, or the sloppy fun of the early stuff.

When you typed "can't wait for Pickup Truck" I laughed out loud, thinking it was a joke.

The joke was on me. Well, it was on you, you had to listen to it.

Oh, it was. Unless you consider schadenfreude a legitimate means of enjoyment, in which case it was entirely sincere.

Radioactive might be the most inexplicable top 40 single ever; it's entirely hook-free and has nothing particularly novel or gimmicky going on in it. I see absolutely no reason why anyone would care about it, save for the KoL name.

I listen to everything these days, even the shittiest albums, so I'll probably hit this up later tonight.

it has a hook though... "it's in the water..." i'm getting sick of it already.

i cannot fathom how some of you people are willing to listen to albums you know you won't enjoy. shouter once said "i have a bad habit of not listening to albums i know i won't enjoy." wtf? (i can say this because hell will freeze over with liquid nitrogen before shouter comes in the KOL thread) i guess i just don't get joy out of listening to a shit album just to write a negative review.

I didn't listen to it just to write a negative review. I used to really like this band. I'm going to check out their new stuff, in the hopes that they return to form.

I wanted to like it, and didn't know that I would hate it. Hell, in interviews they were saying some of the tracks were a return to the sound of their first two albums. This turned out to be a Bono-sized lie. I didn't know every single song was going to be mid-tempo and stillborn.

i didn't mean to be presumtuous, i knew you were a fan. i just find it baffling that one would waste one's time listening to something you know you wll not enjoy

Scumbo once said that he had to grow past the phase wherein he listened to anything that anyone anywhere got any enjoyment out of. I have not yet grown out of it. Funny thing is, I see no evidence that someone enjoyed this album, so I don't know why I bothered.

They didn't start sucking until they wrote a song called Sex on Fire and elected to put it on an album. There's no turning back from that.

I love LemonMelons review. I think you have a job at Pitchfork waiting for you. I thought OBTN was alright, so i'll give this one a go when i can.

I've been listening to the album while at work. Any it its very different from the first two even three albums. There isn't any hard-ish rock on it. And that is slightly disappointing. Do I like it? Its OK. Will I buy it? Probably...

And do you honestly want me to let you know who it reminds me of the most...

U2, but the U2 of now. Not the U2 of pre-ATYCLB. And I like the U2 of pre-ATYCLB better.

This safe music, good. Not cutting edge.

And there are way better tunes on OBTN than SOF and Use Somebody. My favorite is Closer....

i understand that this statement may hurt my indie cred, but i went in wanting to hate this album, but actually enjoyed it. :reject:

You didn't have any indie cred to begin with, my friend. :wink:

"Mary" is probably the only song on the album I like, and it's still a song that I have some issues with.

Go Bears.

On first listen i thought it was average but after 5 or 6 listens this is a top top album! please give it a few listens just like many of the U2 albums!

The End
Radioactive
Pyro
Mary
Immortals
Back down South

All the above tracks i am loving!

By the way i know this sold 200K in week 1 here in UK making it the biggest selling album for week 1 sales of the year but how many did it sell in USA and what number in the charts sis it make?

You have to admit that this album & the last one they are sounding very very close to U2. Use Somebody & Pyro to me sound just like U2 could of wrote them.

The production on the last two albums sound akin to the stereotypical sound of U2's first 2 2000's albums, the songs themselves absolutely do not sound like something U2 would write. I don't hate KOL, but comparing them is illogical.

Also, I just looked it up, Come Around Sundown debuted #1 in the UK with 183,000 week 1, quite surprisingly they came in #2 in the US with 1,000 more copies sold at 184k. Some generic country/pop rock band Sugarland beat them by about 20k here.

The production on the last two albums sound akin to the stereotypical sound of U2's first 2 2000's albums, the songs themselves absolutely do not sound like something U2 would write. I don't hate KOL, but comparing them is illogical.

There are people out there who think like me as well!

I have only read 2 reviews and both have commented that 'Pyro' sounded something that U2 would of written.

And Use Somebody is probably the most U2 song i have ever heard written by someone else if you see what i mean!

There are people out there who think like me as well!

I have only read 2 reviews and both have commented that 'Pyro' sounded something that U2 would of written.

And Use Somebody is probably the most U2 song i have ever heard written by someone else if you see what i mean!

I'm talking about the artistry/poetry involved in the majority of U2's works, which is absent from all of KOL, they're not in the same game.

I'm talking about the artistry/poetry involved in the majority of U2's works, which is absent from all of KOL, they're not in the same game.

yes, it takes a special mind to compare freedom to the scent of an infant's scalp.

obviously i think u2 is better than kings of leon as well, but you're being silly.

Well...it's not great, probably a 6/10, maybe a 5. I liked a couple of tracks, was very surprised to find myself enjoying "Pickup Truck"

Back
Top Bottom