Desert Island V Album Game: Rules and Signup Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I appreciate all the suggestions, and it certainly doesn't hurt to try different things, as it makes it interesting and keeps it fresh.

But that's why we started the mini-tournaments in the first place - to mix things up. We've had three so far - two were genre-specific, while one was geared more towards concepts. The important thing to remember is that the minis can be anything we want them to be. Perhaps the next one is not genre-specific, but a certain time period. Or maybe we do one where we rock the fuck out by using anything we want. They aren't restricted to anything. We'll try different things as we go.

By having the opportunity to do that, it enables us to keep the regular Desert Island tournament as it is. We tweaked it through the first couple of editions until we came up with something that seemed to work well. The results since then, and the interest that it continues to get, only confirms this.

Listening to everything can be a daunting task, but we try to give everyone plenty of time to listen to the playlists, and with LMP's great idea of having a discussion thread, it lets people exchange playlists early to get a head start on listening, thereby giving everyone even more time. Even when the Master List gets posted, we'll still have a two week period or so to continue listening, and if people go in order of the groups, they'll still be able to hear stuff even when the competition starts. This means that people will have well over a month to digest all 20 playlists. I think that's pretty good and therefore not a major issue.

Let's try not to squabble over the little things too much. All it does is turn others off who otherwise could be potentially interested in the competition.

What is the purpose of the mini DI's? :scratch: To be genre specific? Why do they HAVE to be genre specific? Why not a shorter version of the regular DI?

Because Tourist's idea is overload, and this one is colorless. To me, anyway. I wouldn't participate.

Plus, if you have a low minimum or none at all in regular DI, people can throw in whatever length list they want, it'll provide more variety to the game, and if they don't have the time to listen to a 160 minute list, that's life. They'll manage.

It's a better idea than saturating the forum with DI or removing everything that was good about it to make it more accessible for everyone.

I think everyone (or most) will be happy if the current competition was changed to simply incorporate "no minimum" and "160 min maximum". Is that correct? If so, that's what we should go with. Shorter than 160 min playlists should not be discouraged then!

I appreciate all the suggestions, and it certainly doesn't hurt to try different things, as it makes it interesting and keeps it fresh.

But that's why we started the mini-tournaments in the first place - to mix things up. We've had three so far - two were genre-specific, while one was geared more towards concepts. The important thing to remember is that the minis can be anything we want them to be. Perhaps the next one is not genre-specific, but a certain time period. Or maybe we do one where we rock the fuck out by using anything we want. They aren't restricted to anything. We'll try different things as we go.

By having the opportunity to do that, it enables us to keep the regular Desert Island tournament as it is. We tweaked it through the first couple of editions until we came up with something that seemed to work well. The results since then, and the interest that it continues to get, only confirms this.

Listening to everything can be a daunting task, but we try to give everyone plenty of time to listen to the playlists, and with LMP's great idea of having a discussion thread, it lets people exchange playlists early to get a head start on listening, thereby giving everyone even more time. Even when the Master List gets posted, we'll still have a two week period or so to continue listening, and if people go in order of the groups, they'll still be able to hear stuff even when the competition starts. This means that people will have well over a month to digest all 20 playlists. I think that's pretty good and therefore not a major issue.

Let's try not to squabble over the little things too much. All it does is turn others off who otherwise could be potentially interested in the competition.

Thank you.

Woah! What the hell happened in here?

Why do people want to change the game? What's wrong with it as is? This is my first time doin it and I think the format is just fine and it's been really fun so far.

Is it possible that we are taking this too seriously? Or is it my alienating presence in this round that is causing everyone to go batshit crazy? :wink:

Last edited:

I think everyone (or most) will be happy if the current competition was changed to simply incorporate "no minimum" and "160 min maximum". Is that correct? If so, that's what we should go with. Shorter than 160 min playlists should not be discouraged then!

Sounds good to me. Let's go with that.

Good! My DI-6 list is gonna have 7 songs. :wink:

Cool. Mine is going to have four.

The only reason I gave Mr. V a hard time about his 70 minute list is because, well, these new rules we're discussing haven't exactly been implemented yet, just discussed. I'm one of "no minumum"'s biggest proponents, but for this tournament, I'd sort of prefer playlists of the time to which I'm accustomed, especially since we're sticking with 20 people this time out.

Woah! What the hell happened in here?

Why do people want to change the game? What's wrong with it as is? This is my first time doin it and I think the format is just fine and it's been really fun so far.

Is it possible that we are taking this too seriously? Or is it my alienating presence in this round that is causing everyone to go batshit crazy? :wink:

Can't it be both?

Now's a good time for a roll call...

The following playlists have been submitted so far (if any were sent just to Axver, please be sure to forward them to me):

LM
LMP
pfan
tourist
Zoots
DreamOutLoud13
AtomicBono
GAF
Khan
RegularBonoFan

The deadline for submissions is in two days. If anyone thinks they will have an issue meeting this, please PM me ASAP.

What?

Quality should be judged irrespective of Quantity.

An 80 min playlist could have better or worse quality than a 160 min one.

10 songs I like with two weak tracks > 9 songs I like with one weak track

If it's somebody else's list, I'm not listening with a red pen in hand, checking off the tracks I don't like and subtracting points accordingly. If one list has more songs I like, I'll probably vote for it. That's just the way I vote.

Oh c'mon! Even if it's that close?? For me, it will depend on how much I like those 10 songs vs. the 9 songs. Which set can I live without on a remote island.

Well, obviously that scenario wouldn't play out very often, it's just an example.

My point is that, given the odds that I'll enjoy the songs available, it's much safer to go with more songs than less. And your suggestion to vote based on what I would rather have with me on a desert island doesn't help your case either, because I would rather have 20 songs I like than 15, even if I have to skip the others.

Well I do agree that more songs equals more chances of finding something the listener will like. But what I was trying to say earlier is that more songs you know doesn't necessarily mean better playlist. The flow could be terrible. Would you rather have 15 good songs on a 160 min playlist with bad cohesion or 10 good songs on a 80 min playlist with perfect cohesion? I might choose the latter depending on the listening experience.

More good songs doesn't always equal better playlist.

Well I do agree that more songs equals more chances of finding something the listener will like. But what I was trying to say earlier is that more songs you know doesn't necessarily mean better playlist. The flow could be terrible. Would you rather have 15 good songs on a 160 min playlist with bad cohesion or 10 good songs on a 80 min playlist with perfect cohesion? I might choose the latter depending on the listening experience.

More good songs doesn't always equal better playlist.

Yeah, you do have a point there. Personally, if the flow is about equal on both, I would give the edge to the longer list because, well, they kept the flow going for a longer period of time.

I think you guys should give Screwy more credit! His DI-3 playlist was really good AND diverse!

I didn't bash the guy there, just showing some initial skepticism to a bold claim. I've gone on record saying I've enjoyed his lists, but to be honest, I couldn't tell you the difference between them. I'm interested in hearing whatever he puts out, regardless of my personal feelings toward him.

I think you guys should give Screwy more credit! His DI-3 playlist was really good AND diverse!

Thank you. :up:

This playlist includes:

Early Synth Music
Alternative
Spoken word with whale song
Prog/ Art Rock
Traditional Japanese Music
Pop
African Tribal Music
Traditional Papua New Guinea Music
Early electronic music
Native American music