Desert Island IX: Master List, Part One - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 07-01-2013, 04:55 PM   #106
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:07 AM
Listening to iYup's next. I'm much less familiar with the music on this list than on Joey's. Let's roll.

Old 07-01-2013, 05:50 PM   #107
45:33

Local Time: 05:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gump View Post

Thanks, Niels. Appreciate your comments. I'm glad you liked Genesis-Fineshrine (I'm also fond of that duo). Voyeur was such a hard song to place, given how it starts abruptly. I wanted to have it there, and ended up accepting that it was going to be a clunky transition.
Voyeur is on my playlist too... I challenge anyone to make that work seamlessly!

Old 07-01-2013, 06:16 PM   #108
Blue Crack Addict

Nice work, iYup. This list flows well and has a lot of great artists. A lot of this list contained artists I was familiar with but hadn't heard that particular song of theirs. So it wasn't too out there for me, while at the same time introducing me to new stuff, which I always appreciate. Certainly will lead me into checking deeper into some catalogues, which is for many the whole reason they do this tournament.

If I had one gripe, it would be that the section about two-thirds in sort of dragged for me, from The Knife to Actress. None of the songs are crazy long and none of them are bad in their own right, but it seemed a bit too samey to have five songs like that in a row. Which is a pretty minor complaint, so don't even sweat it.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:22 PM   #109
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:07 PM
Who from his list do you see yourself checking out?
Old 07-01-2013, 06:37 PM   #110
Blue Crack Addict

Most of it was bands I'd already heard but hadn't gotten to that particular album: Rolling Stones, Depeche Mode, Elton John, etc. Other than that, I enjoyed the Blondie track, which was the first thing I've heard by Blondie. I also liked the New Order track. I have listened to Joy Division but never got around to New Order. Neon Indian is another one I've meant to check out and haven't gotten to.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:40 PM   #111
Blue Crack Supplier

Never heard any Blondie? Interesting. Well, glad you're getting exposure to stuff that's new to you, that's awesome and as I've babbled about before, the beauty of these competitions.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:58 PM   #112
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 12:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words View Post
Never heard any Blondie? Interesting. Well, glad you're getting exposure to stuff that's new to you, that's awesome and as I've babbled about before, the beauty of these competitions.
The first time I felt compelled to check out Blondie was about a year ago, when I heard Rapture in the film Shame (great film, by the way). Before that, I had dismissed them based on Heart of Glass. That was obviously a mistake - the greatest hits collection is loaded with quality tunes.

Glad you folks are finding something to enjoy in my list.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:23 PM   #113
The Male

Parallel Lines is one of my favorite albums of all time, including Heart of Glass, which I personally think is amazing. I always list Hanging on the Telephone as my favorite cover.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:32 PM   #114
Blue Crack Addict

I love Heart of Glass too.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:00 PM   #115
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by the tourist View Post
I love Heart of Glass too.
And my axe.

That song got so much radio play when it came out but I never got sick of it.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:52 PM   #116
Refugee

Alright, just finished tourist's list. Really enjoyed it for the most part.

That transition from Outkast to Flaming Lips worked far better than I thought it would. Loved Youth Lagoon to Lykke Li but didn't think Melody's Echo Chamber worked as well. Neon Indian to M83 was fantastic as well. It closed pretty well too, with the classic song choices. All in all, a thoroughly enjoyable listen!

Iron Yuppie is next.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:20 AM   #117
Blue Crack Addict

Glad you enjoyed!

Out of curiosity, was there anything by an artist you'd never heard/heard of before that grabbed you enough to want to listen to more by that artist?
Old 07-02-2013, 02:08 AM   #118
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by the tourist View Post
Out of curiosity, was there anything by an artist you'd never heard/heard of before that grabbed you enough to want to listen to more by that artist?
I'll answer that question if you don't mind and say:

Beach House - The track you chose obviously made an impression on me, so it is not a bad choice for beginners listen I guess. Curious about them now.

Wild Nothing - Rheya was beautiful, albeit sounding like a throwback to the 80s somewhat.

Tame Impala - Didn't like this track all that much initially but it grew on me a bit on 2nd/3rd listens. But I think there may be better beginners tracks on that album eh? Been meaning to check out Innerspeaker or Lonerism for some time now. Don't know in which century I'm gonna do it. :P

You know, this whole desert island exercise is indeed very handy to easily (and for free!) get into new music. But everything also depends on the choice of track. You choose a slightly more difficult song deep within the album and people may not be as interested to check said band out.
Old 07-02-2013, 02:21 AM   #119
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMirrorSky View Post
I'll answer that question if you don't mind and say:

Beach House - The track you chose obviously made an impression on me, so it is not a bad choice for beginners listen I guess. Curious about them now.

Wild Nothing - Rheya was beautiful, albeit sounding like a throwback to the 80s somewhat.

Tame Impala - Didn't like this track all that much initially but it grew on me a bit on 2nd/3rd listens. But I think there may be better beginners tracks on that album eh? Been meaning to check out Innerspeaker or Lonerism for some time now. Don't know in which century I'm gonna do it. :P

You know, this whole desert island exercise is indeed very handy to easily (and for free!) get into new music. But everything also depends on the choice of track. You choose a slightly more difficult song deep within the album and people may not be as interested to check said band out.
Great! Thanks. I think stuff like this is the whole point of Desert Island. I think a couple fantastic Tame Impala songs for jump-off points would be Alter Ego from Innerspeaker and Elephant from Lonerism. (Though, psst, I didn't use Beach House , but I suppose I left it open to all the way I worded it)
Old 07-02-2013, 02:25 AM   #120
War Child

Oh! I see that gump chose that Beach House track. Cool.

Oh and also... Lotus Plaza, to an extent. Liked that one.