Death Cab for Cutie - Narrow Stairs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I Will Possess Your Heart is stellar, I'll give you that. It's been ages since I've listened to this, I'll try to remember to give it a spin tomorrow.

I just listened to this song on the way in to work. Man, it's good. Love it. I need to spend a lot more time with the album. I can't recall the last time I listened to a song from it that wasn't I Will Possess Your Heart.

Here's hoping he changes his mind.

Seriously, that's honestly about the most depressing music related news article I've read all year. :(

On another note, I actually want to listen to Narrow Stairs again now after watching Death Cab play on the webcast last night.

Listened to Narrow Stairs, I enjoyed Your New Twin Sized Bed and Long Division more than I had previously.

Also, Death Cab are playing on Craig Ferguson on Wednesday.

That's really sad about the Postal Service probably not making another album. I was listening to Give Up about a week ago, and I was thinking how they were my first love before Death Cab. Such wonderful songs that take the best of DCFC (Ben's voice) and the best of James Figurine (Jimmy's music). Maybe they feel the second album could never live up to the hype?

So I should pretty much just buy the album as a New Year's present to myself tomorrow (or today, that is), is that what you're saying?

That's what I'm planning to do. I only have those two songs and they alone are worth the price of the record. But it's worrisome that I don't think I've seen anyone here talking about it. It got a good review in Pitchfork. :shrug:

It got a good review in Pitchfork. :shrug:

#19 on their best albums of the year list. :up:

I've always loved The Rat, but I've never bought any of their albums. It's probably time I fix that.

In regards to Death Cab, I'm starting to like some of the new songs more lately. One of my friends randomly bought Plans and is loving it.

I've always loved The Rat, but I've never bought any of their albums. It's probably time I fix that.

When I first heard The Rat, it completely bowled me over. Unfortunately, nothing else I've heard by them was nearly as good. I hate it when that happens.

When I first heard The Rat, it completely bowled me over. Unfortunately, nothing else I've heard by them was nearly as good. I hate it when that happens.

I like both In the New Year and Red Moon a lot better than The Rat, which I never really got into. :reject:

Must get to Best Buy. :hyper:

Sorry to have derailed a Death Cab thread. Love that Death Cab! How about that Ben & Zooey!

Ok, so I know I'm a little late to this party, but I just got this album for xmas and I love it. I agree with whoever said the first four songs in a row are a great listen. I go back and forth between liking "Cath" and "I Will Possess Your Heart" best. I don't have any other Death Cab stuff so I can't really speak to how it compares...

Alright, Death Cab fans. The drummer from my band swears by these guys, so I'm thinking I should give them a go. Where do I begin?

I personally love their album Transatlanticism, while plenty of others favor The Photo Album. I think either would be a good starting point.

I haven't heard The Photo Album yet, so it probably wouldn't be the best idea for me to name a starting point. However, of the two albums I have heard, Transatlanticism and Narrow Stairs, I actually prefer the latter. Transatlanticism is very nice, but I would like it about a thousand times more had I never heard anything by Elliot Smith or Pavement going in. As it is, it kind of sounds like a pleasant indietastic hodgepodge to me. Narrow Stairs is more singular and idiosyncratic.

Well, it's where I started, and it got me interested enough to check out Narrow Stairs after that.

Sounds like a plan, then.

Before I looked into them at all, I had thought they were an emo band, based on their name.

Sounds like a plan, then.

Before I looked into them at all, I had thought they were an emo band, based on their name.

The name needs an exclamation point to fit that particular bill.

My problem with the band (and this is going to sound rather picky/elitist) is that I really don't hear any kind of identity within their music. With a lot of their contemporaries, I know what to listen for, and I put on their music whenever I want to hear whatever that may be. With Death Cab, I really haven't quite picked out what makes them special. I like their music enough to keep listening, but it all seems a bit faceless to me.

BTW, I really dig the Postal Service's debut and am disappointed that they have no desire to expand on that by making a second album.

With Death Cab, I really haven't quite picked out what makes them special.

For me it is Ben Gibbard's voice. It's one of my favorites in all of music. Many of their lyrics, especially the ones on the Transatlanticism album, really speak to me as well and mark the band as unique compared to other stuff I listen to.

I think the lyrics, though, are part of why I've had difficulty listening to the new album. They don't seem quite as clever as on earlier releases. Or maybe they're a bit too forthright and clever for their own good, aka, not cryptic enough. I still haven't figured it out.

Alright, Death Cab fans. The drummer from my band swears by these guys, so I'm thinking I should give them a go. Where do I begin?

First of all, you're in a band? Get the fuck outta here.

Also, yes, start with Transatlanticism. Plans might not be a bad place to start, either. It has some of their most radio-friendly stuff. I'll also agree that Gibbard, his delivery and turns of phrase, makes the band for me. Get The Postal Service album, too. That's his best work.

First of all, you're in a band? Get the fuck outta here.

Also, yes, start with Transatlanticism. Plans might not be a bad place to start, either. It has some of their most radio-friendly stuff. I'll also agree that Gibbard, his delivery and turns of phrase, makes the band for me. Get The Postal Service album, too. That's his best work.

I am indeed. LM and I discussed it in the Superthread last night, for reference.

Noted.

Back
Top Bottom