David Bowie: The next thread and the next thread...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just looking around the web, & unbelievably, according to one report I've just read, the so called supergroup being assembled for the brits tribute, includes adele, noel gallagher & fucking coldday, is someone out there trying there hardest to take the almighty piss out of David, what the fuck have any of those artists got to do with Bowie, fuck all, but all have recent albums to sell, & as the brits, like the grammys is basically advertising space for mainstream artists & their money grabbing labels what the fuck does it matter about the career of the greatest rock star ever! bunch of money grabbing publicity seeking C£$:down:TS!!!!!

I think I have seen that Bono is supposed to be a part of the tribute too, I may be wrong, though.

It's as if some of you have never seen the Grammys or the Brits. You do know they come every year right?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Jeez. It wasn't that bad. It was very rushed, but there are time constraints to consider and some people really dig that Vegas revue medley shit (I don't). At least her vocals sounded good.

I liked the beginning..her voice was great..and I liked the end...but in between, not so much... I agree it was just too rushed..but that wasn't her fault

As a performance it wasn't the worst, but it was bad. But as a tribute to one of the best and most important artists of the last 50 years it was atrocious. Carlos Alomar and Duncan Jones weren't too thrilled either.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using U2 Interference mobile app

Fucking hell the Bowie high-horse moralists have been so fucking annoying ever since his death.

In my view Gaga's Bowie thing was fun, but not much else. Don't think she got the chance to really show off her vocals and the Vegas-y vibe y'all are talking about was a bit off. So it was a shame. But it was still fun.

But fucking hell is it tiresome watching wankers like Hollow Island and jim and all the rest of the commenters all over the internet whinge and moan because an artist they have deemed ~so unworthy~ loved Bowie and got to show it off. Give it a fucking rest mate.

Fucking hell the Bowie high-horse moralists have been so fucking annoying ever since his death.

In my view Gaga's Bowie thing was fun, but not much else. Don't think she got the chance to really show off her vocals and the Vegas-y vibe y'all are talking about was a bit off. So it was a shame. But it was still fun.

But fucking hell is it tiresome watching wankers like Hollow Island and jim and all the rest of the commenters all over the internet whinge and moan because an artist they have deemed ~so unworthy~ loved Bowie and got to show it off. Give it a fucking rest mate.

Fair points and those two have certainly gone overboard with their rancor, but there are a LOT of well-known artists who loved Bowie, from multiple generations. I don't think what we saw last night came anywhere near doing justice to that legacy. What we got were snippets of a handful of radio hits. Speaking of snippets, U2 would have done a much more credible job by themselves considering how often they switched gears musically and image-wise. Of course they would get a lot of shit PR-wise from the haters and the Grammys would be accused of calling Bowie a dinosaur act by having another dinosaur act pay tribute.

Really a no-win situation. But an all-star lineup of former collaborators playing with younger influenced musicians would have been better than what we saw.

Bollocks to the Grammys, what about Secret Life of Arabia? What a killer song. Good call on that on your deep cuts list, Cobbler.

Bollocks to the Grammys, what about Secret Life of Arabia? What a killer song. Good call on that on your deep cuts list, Cobbler.

Thanks mate. "Heroes" is my favourite Bowie album on a lot of days and that track rules. The second half is irresistible.

Fair points and those two have certainly gone overboard with their rancor, but there are a LOT of well-known artists who loved Bowie, from multiple generations. I don't think what we saw last night came anywhere near doing justice to that legacy. What we got were snippets of a handful of radio hits. Speaking of snippets, U2 would have done a much more credible job by themselves considering how often they switched gears musically and image-wise. Of course they would get a lot of shit PR-wise from the haters and the Grammys would be accused of calling Bowie a dinosaur act by having another dinosaur act pay tribute.

Really a no-win situation. But an all-star lineup of former collaborators playing with younger influenced musicians would have been better than what we saw.

I totally agree that it could have been much better, and that a tribute from the most pre-eminent music awards ceremony in world should have been much better. So I agree with you. But I can't fucking stand that wanky tone that comes out of Hollow Island and so many others. I was excited when Gaga was announced, but disappointed with the performance.

But also, as to HI's suggestions... come on. This is the Grammys were talking about. Extremely mainstream. You really think they're gonna pull together a ton of no-name Bowie collaborators and do two cuts? That would have been great, but not realistic.

I truly believe that Lady Gaga considered David Bowie a major influence. Perhaps she wasn't the absolute best artist to select for a Bowie tribute, nor was a fast-paced medley the best idea, but she's not a fake. She's very talented and is many ways a clear follower of Bowie.

Yep. And his influence has been clear from the very start. She had a fucking lighting bolt on her face during a song CALLED LET'S DANCE. I mean ffs.

How good was the tribute to BB King??

1,2 maybe 3 songs done by one or two decent artists in a respectful way without trying to mimic him would have been just fine.

My my have we touched a raw nerve, If I've got an opinion to make about anything under the sun I'll make it, & you have a perfect right to give a response, but is there any need for the personal insult.

You called everyone dimwits for thinking Lady Gaga made sense to do the Bowie thing at the Grammys.

Jesus christ! how old are you.
Very sorry for offending dimwits everywhere for thinking gaga was a good choice, btw this is a thread about Bowie, from now on should we draw a line under the grammy's which has its own separate thread, & gaga who probably has her own thread somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom