David Bowie: The next thread and the next thread...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hadn't watched the video for Lazarus until now.

It's disturbingly topical from a visual standpoint, not by accident I imagine. Frightening and yet beautiful. And the final shot of him backing into the wardrobe is just such a Bowie farewell.

What a magician.

The name of the day he died on:

"Sunday"

Nothing remains
We could run
when the rain slows
Look for the cars or signs of life
Where the heat goes
Look for the drifters
We should crawl under the bracken
Look for the shafts of light on the road
Where the heat goes

Everything has changed
For in truth, it's the beginning of nothing
And nothing has changed
Everything has changed
For in truth, it's the beginning of an end
And nothing has changed
And everything has changed

In your fear
Of what we have become
Take to the fire
Now we must burn
All that we are
Rise together
Through these clouds
As on wings

In your fear, seek only peace
In you fear, seek only love
In your fear, seek only peace
In you fear, seek only love
In your fear, in your fear
As on wings
This is the trip
And this is the business we take
This is our number
All my trials, Lord
Will be remembered
Everything has changed

R.I.P. DAVID BOWIE, the greatest rock star of all time.

Just listening to Lazarus, over & over the lyrics are so heartbreakingly poignant, I just can't believe this news, as I sit here posting this thread, a 51 year old man, with a beautiful wife & 3 wonderful kids I have tears streaming down my face at the passing of a man I never met, yet feel I've lost a huge part of my life, such has been the impact of this man & his body of work over the years on my life, God bless you David, sincere thanks for everything you gave to the world!

I feel that, Jim. Had to go for a walk and have a good cry. Hopefully I'll be able to appreciate the gift he left to us in the stark light of really soon enough. Apparently it makes for an even stranger, more engaging listen than it already was.

What a horrible 18 months this must have been for Bowie, but what exit on the public stage. Always the showman.

Finding Bowie albums in 2003 propelled me down the rabbit hole of record collecting. I'd end up at the David Bowie section and I knew I could go home with something worthwhile. I built up a collection of his 70s to 80s works and it also helped me understand the connection of Eno and Roxy Music and Mott the Hoople. It was like he was the DNA of 70s glam rock.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
That's a good list of bands, I got most of that vynal too, but I got it in the 70s and 80s, that glam rock was something great live add T Rex to the list there are a few others too.

What a beautifully diverse and massive catalogue he has gifted us all, almost literally right up until the day he died.

I downloaded Blackstar just yesterday

Shattered :(

Sent from a barge floating through the docks of Dublin

Not that I've ever been the world's biggest Bowie fan by any stretch of the imagination, but I don't think I've been that shocked about the death of anyone I don't know/celebrity death since Joe Strummer.

I'm not either, but I literally just got up and saw the news alert on my phone, and couldn't believe it. Very sad.

If you're sad today, just remember the world is over 4 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.

— Simon Pegg (@Simon_Pegg) January 11, 2016

Not that I've ever been the world's biggest Bowie fan by any stretch of the imagination, but I don't think I've been that shocked about the death of anyone I don't know/celebrity death since Joe Strummer.

Same.

Something happened on the day he died
Spirit rose a metre and stepped aside
Somebody else took his place, and bravely cried
I’m a blackstar, I’m a blackstar

I'm gutted.

This hurts. Bowie's music means a lot to me. Its weirdness but consistent brilliance was especially important to me when I was discovering myself as a teenager, second only to that of U2. He shall be missed. But he also went out on a really high note. I just wish I could have seen him live.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Look up here, I'm in Heaven
I've got scars that can't be seen
I've got drama, can't be stolen
Everybody knows me now

Look up here, man, I'm in danger
I've got nothing left to lose
I'm so high, it makes my brain whirl
Dropped my cell phone down below
Ain't that just like me?

By the time I got to New York
I was living like a king
Then I used up all my money
I was looking for your ass

This way or no way
You know I'll be free
Just like that bluebird
Now, ain't that just like me?

Oh, I'll be free
Just like that bluebird
Oh, I'll be free
Ain't that just like me?

Last edited:
And of course when this kind of news happens, we get "journalists" who know little about the subject writing articles like this one:

David Bowie Dies at Age 69 After Battling Cancer

which includes nuggets of info like:

He formed the quartet Tin Machine (his brother Tony played drums), but the band didn’t garner much critical acclaim or commercial gain with two albums.
Bowie also produced albums for, among others, Lou Reed, The Stooges and Moot the Hoople, for which he wrote the song “All the Young Dudes.”

This is so fucking devastating. I couldn't believe the NYT alert on my phone.

Heard this on the radio this morning and had to pull over, wishing it were some kind of joke. Just gutting. This is probably the most affected I've ever been by the death of a musician - RIP to one of the very few deserving of the term "legend."

Just finished listening to Blackstar in full.

A word of warning: it's really, really sad when I Can't Give Everything Away fades out. That's the last song he'll ever give us and it's a beauty. Perhaps it's the harmonica callback to A New Career in a New Town, but something about the song feels extremely circular and final without being an outright compilation of past glories.

I know something is very wrong
The pulse returns the prodigal sons
The blackout hearts, the flowered news
With skull designs upon my shoes

Last edited:
Good God, listening to radio 6 in UK, full day of tributes to David, just started the intro to Warszawa, tears welling up again

God damn.

Scary Monsters has been one of my 2 or 3 favorite albums for about as long as I've been a fan of music and art, and aware enough to think about those things as important to my life and identity.

Good God, listening to radio 6 in UK, full day of tributes to David, just started the intro to Warszawa, tears welling up again

Here in LA, KROQ was playing nothing but Bowie a few hours ago. Cracked Actor (!), Suffragette City, Jean Genie :rockon:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom