Coldplay - Viva La Vida - ongoing discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's Santogold, otherwise known as the poor man's MIA.

Still good though.

About half* of Santogold's CD is very similar to MIA. The other half* is retro-sounding poppy stuff, which I actually prefer.

*I didn't actually add them up and come to an exact percentage. So don't come nitipicking about my use of "half."

Awesome show last night, they love Toronto (I have no clue why :wink: ) and we got a rare second encore – it was so impromptu that the house lights had gone up and people where leaving :lol: Has anyone else experienced this? I was on Coldplaying.com and they seemed to think this was pretty unique…

Here’s the setlist:

1. Life In Technicolor
2. Violet Hill
3. Clocks
4. In my Place
5. Viva La Vida
6. Yes!
7. 42
8. Fix You
9. Strawberry Swing
10. Chinese Sleep Chant
11. God Put A Smile On Your Face
12. Speed of Sound
13. Yellow
14. Lost!
15. The Scientist
16. If I Should Fall From Grace With God
17. Death Will Never Conquer

18. Talk Remix (over the PA)
19. Politik
20. Lovers In Japan
21. Death And All His Friends/ The Escapist (over the PA)

22. Don't Panic
23. The Dubliners

Out of the Four C-Play shows I’ve seen now on various tours it wasn’t the best one I have seen – the mix was off for several songs with Martin’s mic too low and in some cases Buckland’s guitar as well. Also a couple of their new tracks felt a little flat live:

-Yes! felt too slow
-Chinese Sleep Chant was just noise
-Strawberry Swing (one of my favs) was muddled

They also did an odd almost electronic version of God Put A Smile On Your Face which was cool but kind of took the energy out of the song and when combined with the already mentioned Chinese Sleep Chant on this bizarre tiny flashing B-stage – really felt like a lull in the set.

The also did a two song acoustic set in the audience of The Scientist and If I Should Fall From Grace With God (a Pogues cover sung by Champion) which would have been alright except I couldn’t see them from my seat :angry: so I had to watch it on one of those weird video-ball thingies – on top of that, the sound was off, oh well :lol:

The last song they played was some sped up country song that is apparently called The Dubliners – it was ok but way to fast (I couldn’t make out any lyrics) and obviously could have been replaced with a better song imo.

Overall, it was a good show though – a lot of energy from the crowd and Martin dancing around like his usual spaz-self – I especially loved the TONS of neon confetti they dispensed during Lovers In Japan with a black light included – very cool effect.

Man these setlists are really awful. Couple that with the outrageous ticket prices and I'm sort of glad to be missing them this tour.

I agree - it was the standard hits mixed with new tracks approach - kinda like someone else... I can't think of their name off the top of my head :hmm:

this is what annoys me about them (the only thing really) is that they are too chicken to shake up their setlists a little when they tour. It was this way the last two tours that I saw them. Identical setlists every nite. :huh:

oh other than they are ripping off U2 nite after nite.. :sexywink:

How much do you reckon tickets will be man? $99 GA, B&C reserve, $199 A reserve?

$99, same as U2, they're pretty much as popular as U2 down under, just U2 (understandably) have more hardcore or "proper" fans.

Question is whether they're big enough to do a Docklands gig like U2 and Green Day before them.

Whatever the case, I'll prob try and get front row like I did for U2, which means a camp out..

this is what annoys me about them (the only thing really) is that they are too chicken to shake up their setlists a little when they tour. It was this way the last two tours that I saw them. Identical setlists every nite. :huh:

oh other than they are ripping off U2 nite after nite.. :sexywink:

See, the way I look at it is that if I was a rabid Coldplay fan like I am a U2 fan and went to see them multiple nights then yes, a static setlist would piss me off.

The fact that I went to see them once and they played a good number of new songs that I hadn't heard before is fine with me.

When you look at the setlists on their own they seem pretty stale but when you are there live even overused or lame songs like Fix You or In My Place or Clocks are enjoyable.

See, the way I look at it is that if I was a rabid Coldplay fan like I am a U2 fan and went to see them multiple nights then yes, a static setlist would piss me off.

The fact that I went to see them once and they played a good number of new songs that I hadn't heard before is fine with me.

When you look at the setlists on their own they seem pretty stale but when you are there live even overused or lame songs like Fix You or In My Place or Clocks are enjoyable.

i see ur point. But I am looking at it from now and the past tours and this is the way they are doing things still. They have a big enough catalogue now that they could mix it up a little. I am not a rabid fan either like I am with U2 and Radiohead and Muse. I am not going to multiple shows either but last tour I saw them twice over a 6 mo. period and they didn't change a single song on the list between the shows I saw and other shows where I saw the setlists. I know they aren't the only band that does this but I guess I am just venting.. :shrug:

Hey, if Radiohead can mix up their sets every night and have an even bigger back catalogue than Coldplay, it can be done.

For a band of "this caliber," I'd want to hear a mix of new songs, classics, and maybe 1 or 2 lesser-known songs. Just changing up the order they play it every night and rotate a few in and out makes it all the more exciting.

I agree with both of you for the most part, I'm just sayin'

and I'm getting tired of the Radiohead argument... If Radiohead jumped off a cliff, should everybody else follow?

hmm, actually, I supose I might now that I think about it...

I still haven't seen Coldplay live so I guess setlists aren't really an issue for me. When they toured A Rush of Blood... I was overseas, and then I was so disappointed with X&Y I didn't even want to see them live. I'll definitely try and see them this time around, probably with a girl at work who is a huge Coldplay fan.

I agree with both of you for the most part, I'm just sayin'

and I'm getting tired of the Radiohead argument... If Radiohead jumped off a cliff, should everybody else follow?

hmm, actually, I supose I might now that I think about it...

Ha, yeah, I was just using them as an example because I know they do that with their sets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom