Coldplay - Viva La Vida - ongoing discussion - Page 43 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 11:17 PM   #631
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 02:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
But CMart's antics are equally embarrassing; don't forget that. )

I reckon C-Mart has an awesome stage presence. Nothin' wrong with it, suits the songs, and if thats what he wants to do good on 'him, the height of authenticity, acting how you wanna act, whatever makes ye comfortable.

I don't feel embarassed watching him.

Old 07-13-2008, 11:31 PM   #632
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 02:59 PM
Quote:
(Hint: hand gestures are Bono's road. Avoid those if at all possible, partially because they've become a Bono trademark, and partially because you should only embarrass yourself occasionally.)
Oh noez, Bow-no invented hand gestures!!!!

Old 07-13-2008, 11:32 PM   #633
The Male

Local Time: 08:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by intedomine View Post
I reckon C-Mart has an awesome stage presence. Nothin' wrong with it, suits the songs, and if thats what he wants to do good on 'him, the height of authenticity, acting how you wanna act, whatever makes ye comfortable.

I don't feel embarassed watching him.
Good for you. Do you feel embarrassed watching Bow-no?

Now.
Old 07-13-2008, 11:44 PM   #634
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:59 AM
Maybe I'm just bored, or maybe I have the window opened too much and the fumes from passing vehicles are impairing my judgement...but, I have to ask: How can anyone be embarrassed by anything they don't have an emotional attachment to?
Old 07-14-2008, 02:25 AM   #635
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
I think the greater issue here is not CMart's ridiculous hand gestures (Bono is as guilty of this as anyone) but, rather, the fact that I've never heard him top his album vocal of a given song in a live setting, ever. Bono consistently does it, and used to do it every night during the tour for his band's fourth album.

Rob, if you want to bash Martin, your argument should be that he simply isn't as good of a vocalist as Bono. I'd back you up on that all day.
oh haha...yeah I've addressed that topic several times at length already

I don't think anyone would question that.......well, actually....maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoMac View Post
Number 1, I've seen Chris Martin not only on Youtube, but live—twice. I was fairly close enough to observe Martin's on-stage act and I can assure you they were both excellent shows.

Number 2, it's quite obvious from this board that one doesn't have to be a non-U2 fan to find some of Bono's moves on stage embarrassing, not to say annoying. There were a few cringe-worthy moments for me when I saw U23D. But then, I saw U2 live numerous times, so I'm able to put his on-stage persona into context.

And a Coldplay fan would probably say the same thing you say: That Martin is attempting to connect with the audience through his moves, however frustratingly clumsy or annoying they seem to you.

Finally, you never really addressed my point, which was that it's not really fair to criticize someone's on-stage antics based on random video clips when you've never seen the entire show—in person.
Look...people criticize Bono all the time without seeing the show entire show- IN PERSON....If someone watches 10 performances on youtube all from the same Coldplay/U2 show, and find the frontman's on stage antics annoying or embarrassing...so what? I think that's enough to make a judgment and say whether or not you find his on stage antics annoying....It's like if you watched U23D....and found 10 performances throughout the show where Bono was doing stupid annoying things on stage and distracting you from the music....that's fine! I'm not going to tell you that it's unfair of you to make that judgment...If you're watching a U2 DVD, for example, and Bono's doing something incredibly stupid during each song for half the show, and you tell me how annoying you find it, I'm not going to say "hey, you can't do that, you haven't watched the entire show, and you weren't there in person!" - I might quesiton you, and ask how or what exactly is annoying about it, but everyone is entitled to an opinion...if you feel Bono's on stage behavior is annoying, then fine....I don't see what the big deal is.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:30 AM   #636
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelordevil View Post
Maybe I'm just bored, or maybe I have the window opened too much and the fumes from passing vehicles are impairing my judgement...but, I have to ask: How can anyone be embarrassed by anything they don't have an emotional attachment to?
Umm....embarrassment is an emotional response, therefore, yes, I believe you do have to have an emotional attachment....But, that's the thing, I think it's realistic to say that many people do have an emotional attachment to Bono, hence the potential for embarrassment!
Old 07-14-2008, 03:20 AM   #637
Refugee

Local Time: 11:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoMac View Post
Who's Moser? Do you see a Moser on this page? I'm assuming you're referring to tpsreports2424.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zootlesque View Post
Moser?
I'm here, bitches!
Old 07-14-2008, 03:22 AM   #638
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moser View Post
I'm here, bitches!
hahaha, Moser...

That was quite a long time ago!
Old 07-14-2008, 04:05 AM   #639
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob33 View Post
hahaha, Moser...

That was quite a long time ago!
I lost track of time....
Old 07-14-2008, 08:14 AM   #640
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:29 AM
Quote:
(Hint: hand gestures are Bono's road. Avoid those if at all possible, partially because they've become a Bono trademark
Old 07-14-2008, 09:31 AM   #641
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
If CMart could sing live, I would agree. He has more shake in his voice than Stevie Nicks after 5 hours of standing out in the snow.

Plus, this is the most uncool thing I've ever seen, arguably.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocksU2 View Post
Ok, to get back to this original post:

Mel, have you seen them live before? Chris is notoriously bad for some reason on live TV but is way better in concert. He might be (gasp!) human and have a bit of stage fright when it comes to TV audiences, I don't know but the same thing happened when I saw them perform Clocks at the Grammys a couple of years ago - he sounded awful but when I saw them live he was spot on, same goes for the 2003 Live DVD - he sounded much better.

Don't judge them by their TV appearances alone...

And for those complaining about them ripping off the ZooTv uniforms, get a grip. How do you think Beatles fans feel?:

Old 07-14-2008, 09:37 AM   #642
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Uh...for all the people who say hand gestures belong to Bono you may want to watch these videos of Morrissey during the same time frame.

YouTube - The Smiths - Hand in Glove

YouTube - The smiths Bigmouth strikes again

If you actually watch Chris Martin gestures they are far more like Morrissey than Bono.
Old 07-14-2008, 11:26 AM   #643
Blue Crack Supplier

I don't think hand gestures are a Bono trademark. Honestly, he doesn't make that many. He directs with his left hand on occasion. But that An Cat Dubh performance from Chicago is the most handsy performance he ever gave.

Bono's trademark tends to be walking around everywhere a particular gig setup will allow him to.
Old 07-14-2008, 11:48 AM   #644
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:29 AM
Haha, I was playing the Smiths while coming into this thread, how I adore their music but I've never been able to stand Morrissey, he's so obnoxious.
Old 07-14-2008, 11:54 AM   #645
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26 View Post
Bono's trademark tends to be walking around everywhere a particular gig setup will allow him to.
He doesn't do that much anymore, but certainly in the early days I could see that as something of a trademark, though I'm sure singers had done had for many years before. Don't forget; the ONLY thing that constitutes a trademark is originality.

Elfa, I have seen a number of live videos from real concerts, and his voice still isn't as good as it is on the album. Better than in the Lost performance, but not by much. A particularly strong example would be Talk from Toronto '06, the show that was supposed to be released as a DVD.

Now.
Closed Thread

Tags
coldplay, viva la vida