Coldplay - LP7: A Head Full of Dreams - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter

Old 12-09-2015, 05:47 PM   #106
War Child

Local Time: 05:25 PM
There's little here that I go "oh, that was dreadful, I can't listen to this", but in a way that would be more fun than what we're getting here. The level of ambition here is shockingly low.

Personally I think Coldplay are long overdue for a crushing blow of failure. They flinched spectacularly out of it on the last album by shoe-horning in the easy hit-by-numbers Sky Full Of Stars, and I think their current single combined with this album's hit-by-numbers Hymn For The Weekend will ensure another success. It's not that I think they deserve failure or wish any ill on them; when they try (Midnight and O from the last album, most of their 2000-2008 music) they make good stuff, but with key exceptions their music has become so formulaic and lazy it's not fun anymore to care about them or follow them. They blew up this balloon of success the first couple of albums, but now it's just been sitting there all blown up for ages. Can someone please just pop it so they'll have to make the effort blowing it up again (sorry for the terrible metaphor)?

Old 12-09-2015, 05:51 PM   #107
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:25 AM
I stil don't know what "ambition" means in music and i may be idiot here, but i still agree that this album is somewhat....mediocre. I don't care about low energy, low ambition, bad production, etc....I can deal with those if the SONGS ARE GOOD. well, they're not spectacular and those songs are definitely into "cheez-y" category so I can't like this album.

Old 12-09-2015, 07:44 PM   #108
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 04:25 PM
Coldplay's albums sales may be down, but their concert sales have never been better. Check it out, a bunch of stadium shows in South America/Mexico and Europe, selling well with lots of 2nd shows being added. In the case of London, they just announced a 4th show at Wembley Stadium. My guess is that they'll put North American tour tickets onsale around the time of the Super Bowl in order to ensure a huge rush to buy tickets. It'll be interesting to see what venues they do in the US. I predict stadiums in the big cities, arenas in the smaller cities.
Old 12-09-2015, 09:25 PM   #109
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:25 PM
Coldplay - LP7: A Head Full of Dreams

I need some dates.
Old 12-09-2015, 09:50 PM   #110
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_acrobat View Post
Coldplay's albums sales may be down, but their concert sales have never been better. Check it out, a bunch of stadium shows in South America/Mexico and Europe, selling well with lots of 2nd shows being added. In the case of London, they just announced a 4th show at Wembley Stadium. My guess is that they'll put North American tour tickets onsale around the time of the Super Bowl in order to ensure a huge rush to buy tickets. It'll be interesting to see what venues they do in the US. I predict stadiums in the big cities, arenas in the smaller cities.
It probably helped that this will be their first big tour since Mylo Xyloto. They did a promo tour for Ghost Stories but that was only a dozen theater dates or so.

Also, not to reopen the sales discussion, but I would note that Coldplay's drop in sales is more noticeable as Ghost Stories just came out last year. Someone like the Foos having a significant drop in the three to four years between their albums is more in line with general decline in the industry. A 50% drop in one year? That's a significant loss.
Old 12-09-2015, 10:24 PM   #111
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

even thought i hate the album, i may.....still want to go to their concert.
Old 12-09-2015, 11:39 PM   #112
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 08:25 AM
Yeah, they are still a fun show. My complaint is how short their sets are. There is no excuse for a band with their catalog to play 90 minutes.

Sent from my SM-G920V using U2 Interference mobile app
Old 12-10-2015, 03:24 PM   #113
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoRu View Post
There's little here that I go "oh, that was dreadful, I can't listen to this", but in a way that would be more fun than what we're getting here. The level of ambition here is shockingly low.

Personally I think Coldplay are long overdue for a crushing blow of failure. They flinched spectacularly out of it on the last album by shoe-horning in the easy hit-by-numbers Sky Full Of Stars, and I think their current single combined with this album's hit-by-numbers Hymn For The Weekend will ensure another success. It's not that I think they deserve failure or wish any ill on them; when they try (Midnight and O from the last album, most of their 2000-2008 music) they make good stuff, but with key exceptions their music has become so formulaic and lazy it's not fun anymore to care about them or follow them. They blew up this balloon of success the first couple of albums, but now it's just been sitting there all blown up for ages. Can someone please just pop it so they'll have to make the effort blowing it up again (sorry for the terrible metaphor)?
I agree the new music is pretty awful so far. For all the flack they take at times U2 have never had a phase where I just utterly tuned out and stopped buying the music. This lot? sorry gig's up for me. Strange to think that for a band doing 4 nights at 'new' Wembley will mean tens of thousands of people probably spending a lot of money on a concert ticket while baulking at a £10 album.

CP week one - 159k. Adele on week three (?) - 157k (UK)

Coldplay heading for huge first week, on Spotify Friday | Music Week
Old 12-10-2015, 06:26 PM   #114
you are what you is

Local Time: 05:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trojanchick99 View Post
Yeah, they are still a fun show. My complaint is how short their sets are. There is no excuse for a band with their catalog to play 90 minutes.

Sent from my SM-G920V using U2 Interference mobile app

I believe it has been medically proven your brain will start to melt after 92 minutes of consecutive listening to Chris Martin "lyrics".
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Salome is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 06:42 PM   #115
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salome View Post
I believe it has been medically proven your brain will start to melt after 92 minutes of consecutive listening to Chris Martin "lyrics".
A Head Full of Shit.
Old 12-10-2015, 07:16 PM   #116
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

am I the only person who ironically loves Adventure of Lifetime?
Old 12-10-2015, 07:55 PM   #117
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack_Again View Post
am I the only person who ironically loves Adventure of Lifetime?
Yes. :-)
Old 12-10-2015, 08:10 PM   #118
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:25 AM
Quote:

Old 12-10-2015, 08:42 PM   #119
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
i am capable of ignoring CM's vocal altogether in any Coldplay songs. so I'm fine, right?
Old 12-11-2015, 05:04 AM   #120
Refugee

Local Time: 05:25 AM
Best moment on the album is delivered by Noel Gallagher

Coldplay have never been great. Not even the best Brit band of last 15 years.
Chris Martin will top himself at the fact his music is shite and people don't like it.