Coldplay - LP7: A Head Full of Dreams - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-09-2015, 05:47 PM   #106
War Child
 
JoRu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Gallifrey
Posts: 940
Local Time: 05:25 PM
There's little here that I go "oh, that was dreadful, I can't listen to this", but in a way that would be more fun than what we're getting here. The level of ambition here is shockingly low.

Personally I think Coldplay are long overdue for a crushing blow of failure. They flinched spectacularly out of it on the last album by shoe-horning in the easy hit-by-numbers Sky Full Of Stars, and I think their current single combined with this album's hit-by-numbers Hymn For The Weekend will ensure another success. It's not that I think they deserve failure or wish any ill on them; when they try (Midnight and O from the last album, most of their 2000-2008 music) they make good stuff, but with key exceptions their music has become so formulaic and lazy it's not fun anymore to care about them or follow them. They blew up this balloon of success the first couple of albums, but now it's just been sitting there all blown up for ages. Can someone please just pop it so they'll have to make the effort blowing it up again (sorry for the terrible metaphor)?
__________________

__________________
JoRu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 05:51 PM   #107
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Mack_Again's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Not Osaka
Posts: 5,181
Local Time: 11:25 AM
I stil don't know what "ambition" means in music and i may be idiot here, but i still agree that this album is somewhat....mediocre. I don't care about low energy, low ambition, bad production, etc....I can deal with those if the SONGS ARE GOOD. well, they're not spectacular and those songs are definitely into "cheez-y" category so I can't like this album.
__________________

__________________
Mack_Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 07:44 PM   #108
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Urbana, Ohio, USA
Posts: 3,783
Local Time: 04:25 PM
Coldplay's albums sales may be down, but their concert sales have never been better. Check it out, a bunch of stadium shows in South America/Mexico and Europe, selling well with lots of 2nd shows being added. In the case of London, they just announced a 4th show at Wembley Stadium. My guess is that they'll put North American tour tickets onsale around the time of the Super Bowl in order to ensure a huge rush to buy tickets. It'll be interesting to see what venues they do in the US. I predict stadiums in the big cities, arenas in the smaller cities.
__________________
The_acrobat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 09:25 PM   #109
ONE
love, blood, life
 
prbiker15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Puerto Rico
Posts: 12,207
Local Time: 12:25 PM
Coldplay - LP7: A Head Full of Dreams

I need some dates.
__________________
prbiker15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 09:50 PM   #110
Refugee
 
Joey788's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,748
Local Time: 11:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_acrobat View Post
Coldplay's albums sales may be down, but their concert sales have never been better. Check it out, a bunch of stadium shows in South America/Mexico and Europe, selling well with lots of 2nd shows being added. In the case of London, they just announced a 4th show at Wembley Stadium. My guess is that they'll put North American tour tickets onsale around the time of the Super Bowl in order to ensure a huge rush to buy tickets. It'll be interesting to see what venues they do in the US. I predict stadiums in the big cities, arenas in the smaller cities.
It probably helped that this will be their first big tour since Mylo Xyloto. They did a promo tour for Ghost Stories but that was only a dozen theater dates or so.

Also, not to reopen the sales discussion, but I would note that Coldplay's drop in sales is more noticeable as Ghost Stories just came out last year. Someone like the Foos having a significant drop in the three to four years between their albums is more in line with general decline in the industry. A 50% drop in one year? That's a significant loss.
__________________
Joey788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 10:24 PM   #111
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Mack_Again's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Not Osaka
Posts: 5,181
Local Time: 11:25 AM
even thought i hate the album, i may.....still want to go to their concert.
__________________
Mack_Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 11:39 PM   #112
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
trojanchick99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Los Feliz, CA (between Hollywood and Downtown LA)
Posts: 7,797
Local Time: 08:25 AM
Yeah, they are still a fun show. My complaint is how short their sets are. There is no excuse for a band with their catalog to play 90 minutes.

Sent from my SM-G920V using U2 Interference mobile app
__________________
trojanchick99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 03:24 PM   #113
The Fly
 
patternshirt170's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 251
Local Time: 04:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoRu View Post
There's little here that I go "oh, that was dreadful, I can't listen to this", but in a way that would be more fun than what we're getting here. The level of ambition here is shockingly low.

Personally I think Coldplay are long overdue for a crushing blow of failure. They flinched spectacularly out of it on the last album by shoe-horning in the easy hit-by-numbers Sky Full Of Stars, and I think their current single combined with this album's hit-by-numbers Hymn For The Weekend will ensure another success. It's not that I think they deserve failure or wish any ill on them; when they try (Midnight and O from the last album, most of their 2000-2008 music) they make good stuff, but with key exceptions their music has become so formulaic and lazy it's not fun anymore to care about them or follow them. They blew up this balloon of success the first couple of albums, but now it's just been sitting there all blown up for ages. Can someone please just pop it so they'll have to make the effort blowing it up again (sorry for the terrible metaphor)?
I agree the new music is pretty awful so far. For all the flack they take at times U2 have never had a phase where I just utterly tuned out and stopped buying the music. This lot? sorry gig's up for me. Strange to think that for a band doing 4 nights at 'new' Wembley will mean tens of thousands of people probably spending a lot of money on a concert ticket while baulking at a £10 album.

CP week one - 159k. Adele on week three (?) - 157k (UK)

Coldplay heading for huge first week, on Spotify Friday | Music Week
__________________
patternshirt170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 06:26 PM   #114
you are what you is
 
Salome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: last fm
Posts: 21,882
Local Time: 05:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trojanchick99 View Post
Yeah, they are still a fun show. My complaint is how short their sets are. There is no excuse for a band with their catalog to play 90 minutes.

Sent from my SM-G920V using U2 Interference mobile app

I believe it has been medically proven your brain will start to melt after 92 minutes of consecutive listening to Chris Martin "lyrics".
__________________
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Salome is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 06:42 PM   #115
The Fly
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 198
Local Time: 04:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salome View Post
I believe it has been medically proven your brain will start to melt after 92 minutes of consecutive listening to Chris Martin "lyrics".
A Head Full of Shit.
__________________
TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 07:16 PM   #116
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Mack_Again's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Not Osaka
Posts: 5,181
Local Time: 11:25 AM
am I the only person who ironically loves Adventure of Lifetime?
__________________
Mack_Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 07:55 PM   #117
The Fly
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 198
Local Time: 04:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack_Again View Post
am I the only person who ironically loves Adventure of Lifetime?
Yes. :-)
__________________
TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 08:10 PM   #118
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
FitzChivalry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: At the bottom of the ocean, in the deepest sea
Posts: 6,284
Local Time: 08:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salome View Post
I believe it has been medically proven your brain will start to melt after 92 minutes of consecutive listening to Chris Martin "lyrics".

__________________
FitzChivalry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 08:42 PM   #119
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Mack_Again's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Not Osaka
Posts: 5,181
Local Time: 11:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salome View Post
I believe it has been medically proven your brain will start to melt after 92 minutes of consecutive listening to Chris Martin "lyrics".
i am capable of ignoring CM's vocal altogether in any Coldplay songs. so I'm fine, right?
__________________
Mack_Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 05:04 AM   #120
Refugee
 
MadForIt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 2,224
Local Time: 05:25 AM
Best moment on the album is delivered by Noel Gallagher

Coldplay have never been great. Not even the best Brit band of last 15 years.
Chris Martin will top himself at the fact his music is shite and people don't like it.
__________________

__________________
MadForIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com