Coldplay - LP7: A Head Full of Dreams - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter

Old 12-05-2015, 11:59 PM   #46
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
That's easy to understand.

Martin was upset about his breakup (Ghost Stories), and announcing he's going to try to move on (AHFOD).

He's not he best of songwriters, but they're definitely a 1-2 punch on the same topic.
if it's that straight-forward, then CM has to think of something sophisticated.

Old 12-06-2015, 12:08 AM   #47
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:55 AM
He's not a good song writer. I think everyone knows and agrees with that.

Old 12-06-2015, 12:45 AM   #48
A childless dog

Local Time: 09:55 PM
And yet they are extraordinarily popular.

After years of just being a good-to-OK band, I think they've garnered enough disdain to balance out the radical overhype (agreed with iYup that Rush of Blood is nowhere near deserving of sacred cow status, though it is very good). I hope their next album is much, much, much better and they can embark on a new stage of their career. See if Eno or Godrich or Danger Mouse or someone with talent will take a chance on them and make something of lasting value. For fuck's sake.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 02:03 AM   #49
ONE
love, blood, life

They emit a pretty good sound that allows Martin's lyrics to be neglected/forgiven/accepted (depending upon how bad they are)... but in this case, the album sounds pretty crappy.
Old 12-06-2015, 02:04 AM   #50
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 05:55 AM
Coldplay - LP7: A Head Full of Dreams

I still can't believe how terrible this album is. I thought Mylo Xyloto was disappointment, but had some good songs. I love "Charlie Brown" to pieces. Such a fun song. This album is not fun, it's just pathetic. It's like they were trying so hard to be fun and laid back that they ended up accomplishing neither.
We probably won't get another album for 3 years. Hopefully next time they are able to rebound.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
Old 12-06-2015, 02:25 AM   #51
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsaget77 View Post
I still can't believe how terrible this album is. I thought Mylo Xyloto was disappointment, but had some good songs. I love "Charlie Brown" to pieces. Such a fun song. This album is not fun, it's just pathetic. It's like they were trying so hard to be fun and laid back that they ended up accomplishing neither.
We probably won't get another album for 3 years. Hopefully next time they are able to rebound.

Don't some people saying that this album could be last album based on what CM said?
Old 12-06-2015, 04:05 AM   #52
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 06:55 AM
Doesn't he say that after each album?
Old 12-06-2015, 04:13 AM   #53
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:55 PM
Yeah, the more I listen, the less I dislike some songs. They are certainly catchy (not often a sign of quality though).

It is having the opposite effect on me than Ghost Stories, which I immediately loved, then it waned very quickly. I didn't care for this initially, then thought it was ok, now I quite enjoy it. Bought the vinyl, had a nice immersive experience and I think I 'got' it.

Certainly the last three have not been up to the standards of the first 4 - but I think I like this one more than Ghost Stories and Mylo - it's like they combined the learnings of the previous 2 and came up with something a bit better.
Old 12-06-2015, 06:07 AM   #54
A childless dog

Ghost Stories got a bit too much hate. Song for song it wasn't their best work by any stretch, but at least was a cohesive and complete work with an ambition in mind.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 06:08 AM   #55
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Ghost Stories got a bit too much hate. Song for song it wasn't their best work by any stretch, but at least was a cohesive and complete work with an ambition in mind.
I agree, I don't think it was that bad. Definitely better than their latest effort.
Old 12-06-2015, 06:16 AM   #56
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:55 PM
A sky full of stars sounds so out of place to me. Midnight is the highlight - fucking mental song, so different, so hypnotising

Old 12-06-2015, 10:21 AM   #57
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_smee View Post
A sky full of stars sounds so out of place to me. Midnight is the highlight - fucking mental song, so different, so hypnotising

It was out of place. It was freaking produced by Avicii. It sounds like it could've been SO good... until it turned into Avicii ft. Chris Martin. I hate everything that dbag touches. He loves that whole "underwater" recording bullshit that surfaces for "the drop." It's his shitty gimmick that was never good to begin with and insulting that Coldplay would use that garbage to pander to people.
Old 12-06-2015, 11:44 AM   #58
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_smee View Post
Seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
It was out of place. It was freaking produced by Avicii. It sounds like it could've been SO good... until it turned into Avicii ft. Chris Martin.
RIGHT???
Old 12-06-2015, 12:40 PM   #59
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 11:55 PM
Quote:
Ghost Stories got a bit too much hate.
Definitely. The emotion was palpable, which makes a lot of the hackneyed sentiment forgivable and even moving at times. The way he lets go with the "I don't care, go on and tear me apart" line in Sky Full of Stars is nothing if not genuine.
Old 12-06-2015, 12:52 PM   #60
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post
Definitely. The emotion was palpable, which makes a lot of the hackneyed sentiment forgivable and even moving at times. The way he lets go with the "I don't care, go on and tear me apart" line in Sky Full of Stars is nothing if not genuine.
There was nothing wrong with songs like O and Oceans was a pretty great tune. Midnight was also one of the best things they've done in a long time. I really don't think it was a bad album. That's what makes this new one even more annoying, it's like Chris Martins thought "damn we got panned for that, we'll have to to back to being hip, happy and poppy". It feels like such a marketed ploy on the new album to sell records and get the back to the top at the expense of creativity and decent songs.