Coldplay - LP7: A Head Full of Dreams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How are they adding shows when presale tix are still available and the general sale hasn't even started yet?

I guess they are counting on the Superbowl hype, also they are not selling seats behind the stage and with seats on the floor instead of GA they need less people to "fill" the stadiums.

But i can't imagine Coldplay songs fitting to stadium. I know if its smaller festival or arena it's plausible but stadium? I went to Soldier Field for U2 show but that's huge. even U2 kinda had trouble really engaging with people

I went to see them in a stadium for the Viva la vida tour and they were great, of course it helped that Viva la Vida was huge with lots of hits

I guess they are counting on the Superbowl hype, also they are not selling seats behind the stage and with seats on the floor instead of GA they need less people to "fill" the stadiums.

I am sure they think that they will get a big push from the Super Bowl, but why didn't they just include those added shows in the initial announcement in the first place?

Selling out 2 Rose Bowl shows is hard. They did the equivalent of one Rose Bowl show last time they were in LA.

Not even one Rose Bowl show last time as they sold 49,000 tickets total for their three Hollywood Bowl shows. Their last shows in East Rutherford and Chicago in 2012 did not fully sellout in the arenas they played based on full 360 capacity, but perhaps that was because they were initially not supposed to use behind the stage seating. So perhaps demand in those places is stronger than what the results suggested. It has to be if they are already going with two stadium shows in each market. Very odd indeed as all the prior signs I saw had them staying in arenas unable to fill even a single stadium show in the USA.

But i can't imagine Coldplay songs fitting to stadium. I know if its smaller festival or arena it's plausible but stadium? I went to Soldier Field for U2 show but that's huge. even U2 kinda had trouble really engaging with people

I saw the Mylo Xyloto stadium Aussie tour - lots of pyro, inflatable props, flashing armbands - they did well making a 50,000+ seat venue seem more intimate.

One possible way they might fill these stadiums is if they have Beyonce and Bruno Mars opening up the shows. Perhaps that's why their playing at Coldplay's Super Bowl half-time show.

Beyonce never soldout the Rose Bowl on her own and her concert stats in North America are actually weaker than Coldplay's.

Lets look at what these two artist did the last time they played their OWN shows in southern California.

First Beyonce:

June 28, 2013 - Los Angeles - Staples Center - attendance: 14,045 gross: $1,573,932

July 1, 2013 - Los Angeles - Staples Center - attendance: 13,715 gross: $1,798,782

December 3, 2013 - Los Angeles - Staples Center - attendance: 13,982 gross: $1,954,343

Now Coldplay:

May 1, 2, 4, 2012 - Los Angeles - Hollywood Bowl - attendance: 49,466 gross: $4,158,205

I would say Coldplay is the winner here. Coldplay sold more tickets, and all of Coldplay's shows were the same week. Beyonce did two shows close together then waited five months to do the third show.

Either way, both results for these artist did not suggest they could sellout a single Rose Bowl show. You need to sell at least 75,000 tickets at the Rose Bowl to really be considered a sellout there depending on the stage configeration used. When U2 played the Rose Bowl on 360, they played to 97,014 people. U2 were able to fill the back of the stadium because the stage did not obstruct any seated views from any angle thanks to its unique construction.

But, with Beyonce and Coldplay on the same bill with Bruno Mars on the bill as well, then getting to 75,000 or beyond seems more likely. If Coldplay is able to pull of these Rosebowl shows by themselves then their past results on the last tour hid their true popularity or they experienced some unexplained miraculous surge in popularity since 2012. We'll find out the truth eventually.

Last edited:
Can we not turn this thread into that fucking Maolib vs M_____ thread from the Peeling off Dollar Bills forum. Please. It's not fucking interesting.

I heard that they're going to play a 12 minute version of The Scientist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good for them. I wonder if this will give them the go-ahead to play stadiums in cities not on the schedule, given that the remaining shows are sold out or are close to. Can't see them doing 1-2 shows a week.

Last edited:
Well, they didn't need to Superb Owl hype to sell out two shows at the Rose Bowl. Sold out in less than half an hour.

Actually the second show at the Rose Bowl still has thousands of tickets available. Still, this is far in excess of anything I imagined Coldplay being able to do based on the results from the last tour in North America. Sure, their a stadium band outside North America, but North America had until recently always seemed to be far more difficult for them. Not anymore.

This will likely be one of the top 10 grossing tours of all time worldwide. Given how Coldplay has done just today with these 10 North American stadium shows and given how U2 had difficulty selling tickets to some of the arena shows they played on their new tour in 2015 in North America, it appears now that Coldplay is currently a bigger draw than U2 is in North America. I never imagined I would ever say that. I thought for sure that Coldplay had peaked in North America at a much lower level, on the last tour.

First show at MetLife has only singles left, but still tons of seats for the second show still available, perhaps they jumped the gun on those second shows - we'll see if that is still the case after Sunday.

even though we criticized this Head Full of Dreams album so hard, I'm sure that those songs off of that album is very well-fitted for stadium tour more than older songs.

First show at MetLife has only singles left, but still tons of seats for the second show still available, perhaps they jumped the gun on those second shows - we'll see if that is still the case after Sunday.

Actually, they planned it perfectly based on these sales results. The extra shows in Chicago and Southern California are 60% full after just the first day of public on sale. On average, when you sell about 2/3 of the tickets on the first day, the show is usually soldout by show time if it is several months away. They won't be doing third shows at MetLife, Rose Bowl, or Soldier Field, but these second shows should eventually sellout with ease.

I think these cities might get stadium shows as well, and could go on sale as early as next week:

Toronto
Montreal
Washington D.C.
Atlanta
Miami
Houston
Phoenix
Las Vegas
San Diego
Denver
Seattle
St. Louis
Minneapolis
Pittsburgh

I actually don't think there will be any arena shows on this tour. I think they are probably going to do stadiums exclusively and if they feel the city or market won't sufficiently support a stadium show then it will be skipped.

They're playing stadiums in the U.S., at least in a few cities. Will be interesting to see if they add any other cities to the schedule.

12605278_10156532824085253_89629546977429720_o.jpg

Fun Fact: only two of those seven shows is actually located within the geographic borders of the city they advertise the show as being in.

Fuck yeah. Soldier is most definitely in Chicago. A stadium haunted by monsters and ghosts and love.

Will Champion should have died in "The Rains of Castemere".

After the super bowl performance there will be another rush on the unsold tickets. Chicago 2 has thousands of seats still available, but they'll be gone here soon. Any halftime performer who put tickets onsale coinciding with their super bowl performance has always sold out quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interferencek

I just drank 5 cans of Bud Light. I'm so pumped for the Superb Owl. Who is playing this year?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Back
Top Bottom