Bang and Clatter Listening Party #1: Depeche Mode

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I realized for some reason I only have Songs of Faith and Devotion Live, not the normal album. :huh:

Ok, for real I'm listening to Construction Time Again today. Sadly I acquired it in a .flac file that didn't separate the songs (people who do this should be guillotined), so I'll have to keep consulting a tracklist for a proper critique.

Also got the bonus tracks from the reissue.

Giving Violator another chance now.

Yay! I listened to Violator again last night, and I realized just how much that album shaped me and my musical tastes growing up. I distinctly remember sitting on the top bunk at Girl Scout camp and thinking that Policy of Truth was a game-changing song for me. Some twenty years on, listening last night, I still agree with my younger self.

Also, I confessed to NSW last night that I've never heard Songs of Faith and Devotion. Upon its release, I remember hearing from a trusted source that it wasn't very good, and so I never checked it out. Remedying that soon, thanks to this thread.

Okay, I went ahead and listened to SOFAD myself yesterday. Though it is my fav album of theirs, I can sort of understand why some people get put off by it. The whole thing is a bit slow, isn't it? Starting from Condemnation... the mid section of the album is a bit plodding. It picks up again with One Caress. I love Judas though. Get Right With Me is probably my least favourite here. In Your Room is greatly improved on the single version. Too bad that version isn't on the album. Anyway, it is hard to deny that the vocals on this album are perhaps Dave's best ever!

I'm not thrilled with Heaven, particularly as a lead single.

I'm not thrilled with Heaven, particularly as a lead single.

I like it, but also don't think it should be a lead single (Unless it's completely indicative of the whole album, then.... ).
But I realized yesterday that I must not like it all that much because I havent listened to it in about a week

I realized for some reason I only have Songs of Faith and Devotion Live, not the normal album. :huh:

As much as I love that period of the band, SOFAD Live is one of the worst live albums ever. "Oh, you know, just put all the songs in the same order they are on the album. It'll be the same experience with crowd noise!"

As much as I love that period of the band, SOFAD Live is one of the worst live albums ever. "Oh, you know, just put all the songs in the same order they are on the album. It'll be the same experience with crowd noise!"

I think I always assumed it was a crappy album because of which version I owned. Listened to the "real" album on Spotify yesterday and enjoyed it quite a bit.

Listened to Ultra yesterday in the car. Could only fit in tracks 1 to 7 before reaching my destination. It is a pretty solid album up until that point but as I remember it, tracks 8 to 11 are kind of weak. Anyway, Barrel Of A Gun is an excellent chugging opener to kick things off. If I remember right, Dave wears a suit of lights in the video. :wink: It's No Good is delicious rocktronika with loads of attitude. Home is a beautiful beautiful singalong. Useless has got great driving rhythm, something that is constant about this album. Sister Of Night is gorgeous. Will be listening to tracks 8 thru 11 today to see if I like any of them.

Every time Useless ends, I always expect Only When I Lose Myself to start. Blame it on repeated listens of Singles 86-98. :wink:

Nick Cave is a pretty logical choice. But, again, we've already got a thread open for him that's extremely busy.

I tried to listen to songs about faith and whatever, but it just sort of put me to sleep.

I'm blaming the album. It had nothing to do with listening to it at 5am after I'd been awake for almost 24 hours. Definitely the album.

why on Earth, after being awake for 24 hours, would you choose to do anything but sleep at 5am? You cray

I also kind of vote for Nick Cave. I've never listened to him and want to check out his music, but I don't know where to start.

Back
Top Bottom