Bands that used that 90's U2 sound - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 09-10-2010, 01:37 PM   #1
The Fly

Local Time: 12:54 AM
Bands that used that 90's U2 sound

Achtung Baby has been referred to as their "rock meets electronic album" (and continued with Zooropa and Pop) but really it includes a lot more influence then just that. There's also the shoegaze influence of bands like MBV (Loveless) with the massive guitar pedal production effects that further thickened the sound and was an influence to their sound.

Clearly many albums also reflected U2's approach. There's Depeche Mode's Songs of Faith & Devotion that had the band use a lot of the same album production team and also included darker sound, guitar meets electronic sounds, and a dramatic image change as well. If electronic and rock met in the middle, DM met U2 coming from the other side (purely electronic) at the same destination. Clearly Alan Moulder and Flood own some of credit for this approach.

Then there's bands like Garbage that did the same thing (with Curve as influence before them doing a similar approach). Radiohead following their path with OKC but going more towards an IDM sound with Kid A. And of course Primal Scream that truly did a great similar job of combining both and even using Kevin Shields (from MBV in the studio). Even Smashing Pumpkins who adored MBV's Loveless and basically "remade" it with Siamese Dream eventually added electronics to the mix several albums after (like w/Adore). Spiritualized may also be a good example that took a similar approach in the late 90's as well. Hell even NIN with Flood's help reached a bigger audience and sound than traditional Industrial Rock had ever reached.

In the 00's Bands like Muse, Coldplay, Keane, Bloc Party, The Killers, and Snow Patrol, and Stereophonics may have added electronics to their own alternative rock to amplify their sound on follow-up albums but they rarely thickened up the songs in quite the same way. Certainly these bands were seeing u2's 90's era as a source of inspiration (Coldplay constantly name checking U2 during X+Y) and these bands were clearly going in that direction (with mixed results). And why not... clearly U2 was one of the few remaining examples of a band that was taking a mainstream alternative rock (and with thick electronic sounds) in an indie rock world.

So is this U2's 90's period net affect (i think yes but hey its just a theory) and did I miss out on any great examples to this?

Thoughts............

Old 09-10-2010, 01:45 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:54 PM
Wow! I never noticed how much Colplay really sounds like U2

Old 09-10-2010, 07:54 PM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Scientist View Post
Clearly many albums also reflected U2's approach. There's Depeche Mode's Songs of Faith & Devotion that had the band use a lot of the same album production team and also included darker sound, guitar meets electronic sounds, and a dramatic image change as well. If electronic and rock met in the middle, DM met U2 coming from the other side (purely electronic) at the same destination. Clearly Alan Moulder and Flood own some of credit for this approach.
I think you should listen to Violator
Old 09-10-2010, 08:03 PM   #4
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 06:54 PM
u2 hardly invented this sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
I think you should listen to Violator
for real. sofad was a bit of a departure for them, but violator was already hinting at this direction.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:25 PM   #5
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Jimmy Gnecco of the band Ours has said that Achtung Baby is his "musical Bible".

The influence is there, but not obvious.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:29 PM   #6
The Fly

Local Time: 12:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KhanadaRhodes View Post
u2 hardly invented this sound.

for real. sofad was a bit of a departure for them, but violator was already hinting at this direction.

Well i think Violator is a much cleaner album then SOFAD and still very electronic. I'm not saying that DM copied them but I think that U2 and DM were heading from opposite directions and met in the middle. Dm were headed that way but Dave wasn't laden with tatoos, long hair, and heroin chic before it either.

So if Achtung Baby (Alt Rock+Electronics+Shoegaze+Industrial Rock) didnt "invent" this sound who do you think did?
Old 09-11-2010, 05:43 PM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Dm were headed that way but Dave wasn't laden with tatoos, long hair, and heroin chic before it either.
I dont know if I'd call hardcore drug addiction and the and the related aesthetic changes a 'style'.. I mean, i guess to some degree it was, but I dont think it was a premeditated choice "for our next album, I'll develop a crippling heroin addiction, get some cool tattoos, and grow my hair long. I think it will help our image"

That said, U2 dont have any of that, so I don't really understand the reference

I'm not being a dick, I just really dont think Depeche Mode were influenced by U2's sound at all

Quote:
I'm not saying that DM copied them but I think that U2 and DM were heading from opposite directions and met in the middle.
I can get behind this, I just think it was more coincidental than anything. But I'd also say that Achtung Baby isnt really all that electronic
Old 09-11-2010, 05:45 PM   #8
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:54 PM
Quote:

I'm not being a dick
Quote:

I'm not being a dick
Quote:

I'm not being a dick
Sure you're not.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:47 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

a growing dick. very Freudian of you, NSW
Old 09-11-2010, 05:52 PM   #10
Blue Crack Supplier

I thought DM was following a similar script myself back in the early 90's, so I have to agree with that part of the original post. When you consider the Flood and Corbijn connection there's no way some of those ideas (sonically and image-wise) didn't get passed around.

You can also see the influence on Metallica's Load album (Lars has been a vocal fan for a while now), and here's a direct quote from James Hetfield:

"Lars and Kirk drove on those records. The whole 'We need to reinvent ourselves' topic was up. Image is not an evil thing for me, but if the image is not you, then it doesn't make much sense. I think they were really after a U2 kind of vibe, Bono doing his alter ego. I couldn't get into it. The whole, 'Okay, now in this photoshoot we're going to be '70s glam rockers.' Like, what? I would say half — at least half — the pictures that were to be in the booklet, I yanked out. The whole cover thing, it went against what I was feeling."
Old 09-11-2010, 06:02 PM   #11
you are what you is

Local Time: 01:54 AM
Bon Jovi and Inxs
that's about it

the influence on live shows and the way bands create their image was huge though
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Salome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 06:20 PM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

I think it would make more sense to say U2 were influenced by Depeche Mode
Old 09-12-2010, 01:18 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
So if Achtung Baby (Alt Rock+Electronics+Shoegaze+Industrial Rock) didnt "invent" this sound who do you think did?
I think that this question does not have an answer, because these categories are all arbitrary. Achtung Baby was an amalgam of influences rather than an "invention" of a particular sound, much the same as a supposedly genre-defining album like DM's Black Celebration.

That said, to me the clearest antecedent for the elements of Achtung Baby would be David Bowie's Station to Station and Low.
Old 09-12-2010, 03:38 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
Quote:
I think it would make more sense to say U2 were influenced by Depeche Mode
Old 09-13-2010, 12:51 AM   #15
Refugee

Since when this thread become Dmode/u2 comparison????????

Tags
achtung