Bands that used that 90's U2 sound - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2010, 01:25 AM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:32 PM
since the very first post

Old 09-13-2010, 01:27 AM   #17
The Fly

Local Time: 02:32 AM
Well no, there's a lot more to this thread then JUST being a DM / u2 comparison. If people are focusing on just that then its little sad.

I go to a U2 board and everyone points to DM as the bigger influence. I'm a little stunned.

So do you feel there's no connection between u2 and those bands after them? To me it looks like there's clear lineage(and I thought i spelled it out) but maybe the question that should be answered. Is there a net effect to U2's 90's period in the bands that followed?

Old 09-13-2010, 01:29 AM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Scientist View Post
very interesting. I go to a U2 board and everyone points to DM as the influence. I'm a little stunned and saddened.
Why is that such a bad thing? Just being honest and realistic
Old 09-13-2010, 04:00 AM   #19
45:33

Local Time: 01:32 PM
all music is built on bricolage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post
That said, to me the clearest antecedent for the elements of Achtung Baby would be David Bowie's Station to Station and Low.
i bet U2 remembers making Achtung though
Old 09-13-2010, 12:42 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Scientist View Post
Well no, there's a lot more to this thread then JUST being a DM / u2 comparison. If people are focusing on just that then its little sad.
But you cant cite a reference and not expect anyone to respond specifically.
If you want to talk about another band that shouldn't be on the list, it's Nine Inch Nails. Pretty Hate Machine came out in 1989. How could it have possibly been influenced by AB?
Old 09-13-2010, 05:34 PM   #21
The Fly

PHM was important and took "industrial/ebm" into actual song structures that mainstream alt rock. But Downward Spiral is 1994. That's industrial rock, techno, and metal music and rather groundbreaking AND much of a bigger album making NIN a mainstream alt rock artist.

"With The Downward Spiral I tried to make a record that had full range, rather than a real guitar-based record or a real synth-based record. I tried to make it something that opened the palate for NIN, so we don't get pigeon-holed. It was a conscious effort to focus more on texture and space, rather than bludgeoning you over the head for an hour with a guitar. I was really into electronic music at the time. David Bowie's Low was probably the single greatest influence on The Downward Spiral for me."~Trent.

Again I think Bowie gets another notch of credit for influence for the Berlin trilogy and I known U2 were recording in Berlin especially for that reason (Hansa Studios). Again Bowie gets way too little credit by the current for what he did do and influence.

Again Flood and Alan Moulder on production.

I'm not saying AB directly influenced Downward Spiral but I believe in chain reactions, synchronicity, and trends. I think Alt Rock ultimately was effected by U2 and Dm's 90's output. I think people here are right in pointing that DM took electronic music as big as it could go with Music for the Masses and Violator first. There's even a few point here of how much U2 may have copied off Dm's Violator tour. So maybe its best that my initial thoughts were challenged as they were if they were wrong. Still I just don't think they mixed genres like U2 until SOFD and I don't think it was as successful an experiment.
Old 09-13-2010, 05:40 PM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

Sure, Downward Spiral explored the sound to a further extent, but it was an extension of PHM rather than any sort of U2 influence. I mean, if you're going to use the Flood reference, then it would follow that NIN influenced Achtung Baby. Flood produced PHM in '89. Nine Inch Nails were already mixing the electronic and rock elements before 1991.
I'm not saying that U2 has had no influence since then, but I think it might be a bit of revisionist history to say they influenced many of the bands that were around at the same time
Old 09-13-2010, 05:52 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:32 PM
The other day, my wife (she's got a great ass) had an album by some guy named Mozart. If that fucker isn't ripping off U2, I don't know who is.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:33 PM   #24
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 08:32 PM
so these similarities could be the producer, but no let's just say everyone's ripping off u2. i mean, come on.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:44 PM   #25
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton View Post
The other day, my wife (she's got a great ass) had an album by some guy named Mozart. If that fucker isn't ripping off U2, I don't know who is.
THAT's MY WIFE

clf/gfy
Old 09-13-2010, 11:41 PM   #26
Refugee

Kings of Leon :P
Old 09-22-2010, 01:48 PM   #27
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
Sure, Downward Spiral explored the sound to a further extent, but it was an extension of PHM rather than any sort of U2 influence. I mean, if you're going to use the Flood reference, then it would follow that NIN influenced Achtung Baby. Flood produced PHM in '89. Nine Inch Nails were already mixing the electronic and rock elements before 1991.
I'm not saying that U2 has had no influence since then, but I think it might be a bit of revisionist history to say they influenced many of the bands that were around at the same time
Well I'd expect an industrial rock band like NIN to be mixing rock and electronics, its kind of in the ingredients of the whole genre. I'm not dismissing that NIN and Depeche influenced U2 to go that direction. I guess I see a split in the bands that came next. For example I think its really "circumstantial" that Radiohead followed in the same direction with OKC then the Kid A+ Kid B (Amnesiac... which really had the same recipe that Zooropa did as a weaker twin to the former album). I don't think Radiohead for example were big NIN and Depeche fans while I know that Bono and Thom actually are quite aware of each other/friends. Likewise the same effect with bands like Coldplay, The Killers, Snow Patrol, Bloc Party, etc in terms of seeing u2 as a "path".
Old 09-22-2010, 08:16 PM   #28

that is a MASSIVE stretch to say that Radiohead moved from OKC to Kid A and Amnesiac because they wanted their career to reflect U2 (JT > AB > Zooropa). they chose their name to be nearer to REM in record racks and i think they learnt from their flair for reinvention.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:13 PM   #29
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:32 PM
No, but it's not a stretch to consider that after Cockropa and Cockengers, Radiohead had a pretty nice path carved out for them, and that includes The Bends and OK Computer before we even get to the more adventurous stuff.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:59 PM   #30

but to say that Radiohead followed up OKC with Kid A and Amnesiac because of AB/Zooropa/Passengers really gives them no credit.

Tags
achtung