Arctic Monkeys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You could probably look that reference up for yourself and it would take no longer than a minute or two.

I get it even less after googling it, actually.

I've never heard an arctic monkeys song. Or maybe I heard one. I don't remember it though, so it's the same thing.

Arctic Monkeys deliver what is their most instantly enjoyable record in a long time. The band has been through several different phases of varying success. Starting with their humble punk/garage rock beginnings of their first two albums, through the dark and heavy production of Humbug, to the more light-hearted Suck It and See, they have performed pretty much all the splinter groups of the rock genre. On AM, the band takes on a simpler sound, mostly consisting of basic hip-hop beats and guitar riffs. Although more simplistic than their previous releases, that in no way takes away from the overall experience. In fact, songs like the Black Keys-esque Do I Wanna Know? and Why'd You Always Call Me When You're High?, both incredibly simple in structure, prove to be the 'classic singles' of the album. The real winners, however, are the 1-2-3 punch of No. 1 Party Anthem, Mad Sounds, and Fireside, three tunes prominently featuring piano/keyboards that completely change up the whole tone of the album. The first drips of melancholy like an Elton John ballad, the second sounds like a beautiful and optimistic Lou Reed/T. Rex song, and the third is an almost paranoid throwback to the late 60's/early 70's. That being said, AM is truly an album that wears it's influences on it's sleeve, sometimes to a fault. Despite the occasional cheesy lyrics and it's few missteps (One For the Road and I Want It All) Arctic Monkeys' new album is certain to go down as a favorite for some and a welcome return to form from the shaky Suck It and See.

Arctic Monkeys deliver what is their most instantly enjoyable record in a long time. The band has been through several different phases of varying success. Starting with their humble punk/garage rock beginnings of their first two albums, through the dark and heavy production of Humbug, to the more light-hearted Suck It and See, they have performed pretty much all the splinter groups of the rock genre. On AM, the band takes on a simpler sound, mostly consisting of basic hip-hop beats and guitar riffs. Although more simplistic than their previous releases, that in no way takes away from the overall experience. In fact, songs like the Black Keys-esque Do I Wanna Know? and Why'd You Always Call Me When You're High?, both incredibly simple in structure, prove to be the 'classic singles' of the album. The real winners, however, are the 1-2-3 punch of No. 1 Party Anthem, Mad Sounds, and Fireside, three tunes prominently featuring piano/keyboards that completely change up the whole tone of the album. The first drips of melancholy like an Elton John ballad, the second sounds like a beautiful and optimistic Lou Reed/T. Rex song, and the third is an almost paranoid throwback to the late 60's/early 70's. That being said, AM is truly an album that wears it's influences on it's sleeve, sometimes to a fault. Despite the occasional cheesy lyrics and it's few missteps (One For the Road and I Want It All) Arctic Monkeys' new album is certain to go down as a favorite for some and a welcome return to form from the shaky Suck It and See.

Hey, I wonder which Amazon reviewer MT copped this from! :hyper:

It's a good thing he posted it in here. Otherwise we might end up continuing to enjoy them

Finally got around to AM. Good album... but I don't enjoy it anywhere near as much as Suck It And See. That album's sound is a bit lighter, it's poppier, it's catchier, whereas much of this album, mostly the opening five tracks are rockier. Not a bad thing, they aren't bad songs... but just not suited to my tastes. My favourite Arctic Monkeys track is definitely That's Where You're Wrong, and Suck It And See was just an effortless, immensely, immediately enjoyable album to me. Going back through this thread though it's cool to see praise for #1 Party Anthem, Fireside and Knee Socks, definitely my favs from this one.

in short: good album! didn't like as much as their previous effort.

any of their earlier works more in line with the beautiful, poppier, lighter, more (I hate to say it, but again, I've had a few and can't think of anything else) "Beatlesque" tracks like Reckless Serenade, Piledriver Waltz, Love is a Laserquest, Suck it and See, That's Where You're Wrong, Black Treacle, etc?

"Cornerstone" is a classic, no doubt.

Their tracks "No Buses" and "Despair In The Departure Lounge" off of the Who The Fuck Are Arctic Monkeys? EP in 2006 are two really good early examples of Turner's more melodic singer/songwritery side. Great stuff. Check it out.

Two B-Sides: "The Bakery" and "Too Much To Ask" from the Favourite Worst Nightmare sessions are in that vein as well.

There are also Turner's two side projects: the Last Shadow Puppets album and his solo work on the Submarine soundtrack, which is where "Piledriver Waltz" originated. Definitely worth checking out and they're less in-your-face and muscular than most of the Monkeys' studio work.

And I'm with you cobbs. I didn't connect with AM nearly as much as I did with Suck It And See. SIAS rules.

I'd not heard that Cornerstone track, but it was fantastic, thanks for sharing. Definitely more up my alley.

And thanks heaps GAF I'll definitely look into the stuff you've mentioned.

Back
Top Bottom