Arcade Fire. Formal wear or costumes only please.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I feel compelled to defend this album because it's not nearly as bad as some are saying but it's also not that great either. I love the title track. Everything else doesn't really inspire me to listen to it again though. I probably won't revisit the album much.

Also, fuck Pitchfork. I'd say every post 90's U2 album is better than this and from what I hear from a really good source, the new one will blow the Arcade Fire album away. But they'll still rate it a 2.3 or something.

Even I was thinking this morning at least Songs of Innocence, which is easily my least favourite U2 album, is better than this, pound for pound. I can't imagine U2 writing songs so devoid of life like Infinite Content, Peter Pan, Good God Damn, Chemistry. Even in this day and age.

There is not a remote chance in hell that Bomb or No Line are better than Everything Now. Not a remote chance.

Well, this is not as bad as I had initially feared, but it's still a massive disappointment for me. That stretch from Peter Pan to Infinite_Content is almost unlistenable.

But this would have made an excellent EP. The title track is decent, Electric Blue is fantastic, and Put Your Money on Me and We Don't Deserve Love are sublime.

There are four tracks on No Line that are worse than anything on Everything Now by a considerable margin. On top of that, at least EN goes for what it wants, as opposed to No Line, which is quite possibly the most conflicted and directionless album I have ever heard. You can say whatever you want about Win's pompous lyrics, but he never had his head so far up his ass to write a song about an iPhone possessing his brain or whatever the hell Unknown Caller is about.

But this would have made an excellent EP. The title track is decent, Electric Blue is fantastic, and Put Your Money on Me and We Don't Deserve Love are sublime.

Yep.

Everything Now
Electric Blue
Put Your Money on Me
We Don't Deserve Love

That's all killer.

Everything Now is "Jeez Guys It's Not *That* Bad."

NLOTH is "I Love it Except For the Middle Three, Which Don't Fit but Are Fine, Except Stand Up Comedy, Which Is Truly Terrible."

Like holding a press conference in a Kmart, except you don't need to pay to enter the store.

What kind of K-Marts did they have where you live, where they had a cover fee?
I mean it reminds me of U2 holding the Pop press conference in a Kmart, except they didn't charge people as part of the satire.

The Infinite Contents are pure shit. What the hell were they thinking. Peter Pan wasn't quite as bad as I was expecting.

All of the other tracks are enjoyable except Chemistry. Still, after putting out four very good to great albums, this is disappointing.

Just heard Good God Damn on the radio. Fuck me that is a bad song.

On what albums?

For me it was the new album. I was a little underwhelmed with At War With the Mystics but I guess it was hard to top Yoshimi. I felt they rebounded with Embryonic.

Ok, so, I just listened to Reflektor for the first time in probably three years at least. It appears that I've underrated it, with regards to saying Everything Now is better than it. Reflektor has some solid stuff on it - We Exist, Here Comes The Night Time, Normal Person, Awful Sound(Oh Eurydice), Afterlife, and Supersymmetry specifically. I just plain forgot about some of them. So I'll move it up to #4 and Everything Now down to #5. It still can't touch the first three though.

Those first three records just have a magic about them, for the most part. The band had obvious influences, but they melded them into a sound that was distinctly their own on those first three records. I feel that's been lost somewhat. There's some real solid stuff on Reflektor, but the only track that really has that magic for me is Awful Sound, that's the one that really sounds like the band that made the first three records. That 'I know there's a way...' chorus could've been on any of those first three records.

As has been said, the new one has three or four tracks that are worth it, but there's not a single track there that can touch the majesty of Wake Up, Rebellion, No Cars Go, My Body Is A Cage, The Suburbs, Suburban War, Half Light II, Sprawl II, etc.

NLOTH is miles better than this garbage heap of an album. Stand Up Comedy and Chemistry can fight in traffic for the title of Most Embarrassing Song by a Great Band, but otherwise there's no competition.

Imagine NLOTH, but with nothing as good as Moment of Surrender or Cedars of Lebanon to justify its baffling failed experiments. Luckily, U2 didn't give us anything that weak. Hell, I bag on SOI a lot, and it is pretty mediocre, but even that album has commendable lyrical focus and only a couple tracks that absolutely flat out do not work. Most of it just sounds like a supremely talented, seasoned band on cruise control.

Fuck, Everything Now got me to defend SOI. I didn't think that was possible.

Last edited:
NLOTH is miles better than this garbage heap of an album. Stand Up Comedy and Chemistry can fight in traffic for the title of Most Embarrassing Song by a Great Band, but otherwise there's no competition.

Imagine NLOTH, but with nothing as good as Moment of Surrender or Cedars of Lebanon to justify its baffling failed experiments. Luckily, U2 didn't give us anything that weak. Hell, I bag on SOI a lot, and it is pretty mediocre, but even that album has commendable lyrical focus and only a couple tracks that absolutely flat out do not work. Most of it just sounds like a supremely talented, seasoned band on cruise control.

Fuck, Everything Now got me to defend SOI. I didn't think that was possible.

Hahaha all of this. There's six straight songs of complete crap between Everything Now and Electric Blue (which I honestly think isn't even that great, it just shines because it's surrounded by shit). NLOTH isn't like that. has a number of clunkers and it's certainly conflicted and directionless, but it has the two tracks LM mentioned plus a few others that comfortably outweigh that.

And agree on SoI. It's an average album but a great band. Sounds like it was made in their sleep. Nothing on it is abjectly terrible (aside from the first song) but it's a decent album.

For me it was the new album. I was a little underwhelmed with At War With the Mystics but I guess it was hard to top Yoshimi. I felt they rebounded with Embryonic.

Actually that's fair, Oczy Mlody is as bad as Everything Now, but they've been so prolific and released so much weird shit in the last couple of years that it's not remotely comparable or as embarrassing as this.

Actually that's fair, Oczy Mlody is as bad as Everything Now, but they've been so prolific and released so much weird shit in the last couple of years that it's not remotely comparable or as embarrassing as this.

For a second I thought you were referring to that Cockplay album but that was some other dumb nonsense words.

Electric Blue (which I honestly think isn't even that great, it just shines because it's surrounded by shit). NLOTH isn't like that.

Funny because I would say the same thing about Moment of Surrender. It's baffling to me how often this forum goes to that song as some kind of justification for U2's existence post-2000.

Rolling Stone song of the year 2009 ya bish.

Then again, that's not exactly one to put on the resumé, is it

Funny because I would say the same thing about Moment of Surrender. It's baffling to me how often this forum goes to that song as some kind of justification for U2's existence post-2000.

There are many people on the forum who feel it's their best track of that period. In fact, the only other contenders that would likely top a poll here are Walk On, maybe COBL.

I immediately thought it was a classic when I first heard it. Seeing the long video clip of Brian Eno explaining how the song came about due to improvisation only deepened my admiration for it. The track doesn't necessarily "take off" in the way that Bad does, but it maintains a nice groove, and Bono's performance is stellar, not only in the big vocal but also the lyrics, a refreshing change of pace from what we had seen on the previous two albums. Edge does an atypical and nicely understated David Gilmour-esque solo. Then you have the group harmonies including Lanois and Eno.

Not a surprise to see why it's regarded as such a special recording.

It's tremendous. I still rate Fez Being Born as the best track though. It breaks my heart that even amongst fans it never had any traction.

Back
Top Bottom