Arcade Fire 2: Arcade Harder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was getting an error message earlier, but now the link on "The Film Stage" works for me.

It's ... interesting. will have to listen to it more to see what I really think about it.

Edit: ooh, around the halfway mark I started liking it a lot more.

Well, this is certainly a change from them - I'm liking it a lot! :) Murphy has certainly made his influence felt. Hope this is a good sign, when the Suburbs came out I was very meh about the singles, and the Suburbs is my least favorite of their albums.

Reminds me a bit of The National's "Demons" in the sense that there is a lot going on under the surface in terms of tempo and general songwriting approach. As with The National, I think it's a very positive sign that they are willing to put forward such an ambitious piece for the lead track. And Regine's French vocals. :heart:

The link worked for me when I tried it just now. Right now, I don't like it. Not much at all. It's too long, it's too disco, and it's too repetitive. Lop off about 30 seconds or more, and maybe I'd like it more. Maybe.

Uh, is that Bowie toward the end?

This is hot, hot stuff by the way.

In case you didn't notice, you can download it at the Film Stage site. File is only 128kbps.

Well, this is certainly a change from them - I'm liking it a lot! :) Murphy has certainly made his influence felt. Hope this is a good sign, when the Suburbs came out I was very meh about the singles, and the Suburbs is my least favorite of their albums.

Yeah, ditto for me. I didn't care for Month of May or The Suburbs when they were released. There are other songs I really like on the album, but it's easily my least favorite of the three.

This has James Murphy all over it.

Yeah it does :|. Song's fine, doesn't sound like Arcade Fire, though. Just sounds like James Murphy wrote some music for Win and Regine to guest on and I don't dig too hard on that, personally. I'd probably love the song if it was by any other band, so I suspect I'll warm to it eventually, but first reactions, not happy.

Can't wait for NSW to see the length of this track, I assume he's going to laugh himself crazy.

If Laika was 1977-era Talking Heads, we've now reached the Speaking In Tongues era. Part of me hopes the entire album sounds like this because I dig coherence, but part of me thinks this song isn't exactly playing to the band's strengths: lyricism and the fluidity of their arrangements. Remember those awesome transitions on Wake Up and Une Annee Sans Lumiere? That's not going to happen with them locked in 4/4 for 7 minutes.

Good single though, much better than Month of May was.

It sounds good. It has that annoying thing they often do, namely that they repeat the title of the song for about 200 times, but I like the LCD influence and some great stuff is going on in the second half. As somebody who thought that Neon Bible was underwhelming and utterly disliked The Suburbs, it would be a nice surprise if they did a record I liked as much as Funeral. Or close to that at least.

Really love this. Funny, it has me thinking about how U2 should of had MoS has their lead. 7+ minutes can work.

Love Sprawl 2 and Speaking in Tongues. This seems the natural evolution. Certainly going to see them live again.

Neon Bible is their finest album thus far. That being said, I nearly shat a brick when I heard Bowie pipe in towards the end of "Reflektor."

Yeah it does :|. Song's fine, doesn't sound like Arcade Fire, though. Just sounds like James Murphy wrote some music for Win and Regine to guest on and I don't dig too hard on that, personally. I'd probably love the song if it was by any other band, so I suspect I'll warm to it eventually, but first reactions, not happy.

Can't wait for NSW to see the length of this track, I assume he's going to laugh himself crazy.

I listened to it hours ago. Maybe I need another listen or two.

Neon Bible is their finest album thus far. That being said, I nearly shat a brick when I heard Bowie pipe in towards the end of "Reflektor."

I'm wondering if this might be the most ridiculous artist feature, when it comes to talent level + song amount.

The only thing even close that I can think of is Take me Home by Phil Collins. Features backing vocals on the chorus by Sting and Peter Gabriel, but you can't even tell it's them.

I listened to it hours ago. Maybe I need another listen or two.

I was referring to the joke that the James Murphy-produced track was expected to be long and then actually turned out to BE almost 8 minutes long.

I wanted to make sure we were understanding one another, sir. Since you did not comment on the length of the song, I wasn't sure we were.

Everyone is certainly entitled to their own opinions and preferences, but I am flabbergasted every time I read anyone on here say they prefer Neon Bible to anything else in the band's discography.

I'm surprised several people here don't care for The Suburbs. I think it's fantastic.

Not sure what I think of the new song yet. It could be a scenario where it will be better to hear it in the context of the album.

I'm surprised several people here don't care for The Suburbs. I think it's fantastic.

Not sure what I think of the new song yet. It could be a scenario where it will be better to hear it in the context of the album.

Agreed completely.

I would say I'm completely crazy about the new track yet but I definitely do have the urge to listen to it again

The thing about The Suburbs is that it really drags in the middle, to the point that it's almost amorphous. But damn does it start and end strongly. Neon Bible is a much more cohesive album, and looking at the tracklist right now, there are some absolute stunners on there. Intervention is their best lead single to date.

Sounds good on first listen. It'll be interesting to see if this is representative of the whole album.

Back
Top Bottom