Ticks, Twitches and other bad habits.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
COBL_04 said:
this might sound a bit weird but i move my fingers profusely when I'm really nervous. i scrape my thumbs from my last finger to my first over and over and over

I do that too, with my right hand. I also move my fingers on my left hand into the shapes of various guitar chords, mostly A, C, G.

And yes, Lila. :mad: She still married me. You think I was stupid enough to let her know I do all these crazy things? She'd lock me up. She' just looking for an excuse anyhow.

Angela Harlem said:

I don't actually like uneven numbers anyway; evens are better. Neater.

I don't like even numbers. I need a fulcrum number for balance. Though some even numbers can be okay if they're divisible by 3 or 7. The house we're buying (hopefully will be moving SOMETIME this year) is number 140, but I can make myself feel better about it because it's divisible by 7. :huh:

I do too many weird things to list here during my lunch break.

I find there's balance in the even numbers. If they can be halved then they're symmetrical. If they're halved to evens then it's even better. It's ridiculous because I'm not even mathematically inclined. Somehow this is awfully important to me though.
:coocoo:

Don't feel too alone, Meg. I think there's many of us as strange as you :D
:hug:

I also prefer even numbers. If I'm watching a basketball game and my team is up by 11, I secretly hope for a 3 to bring it to an even number, or just one free throw to bring it to 12. Unless it's in the final minutes, of course.

Angela Harlem said:
It's ridiculous because I'm not even mathematically inclined. Somehow this is awfully important to me though.
:coocoo:

Yeah, me too. I was awful at math. Never got beyond high school level. Never took trig or pre-calc of any of that, I just couldn't get it. Yet I feel these number situations somehow control my destiny or something. Weird.

Mild OCD :cute:

I think we all have it. :shh:

Btw, I can't finish reading on pages that end with 29 or 69. I'm not quite comfortable with the page before or after either of them, either. A buffer of a couple of pages makes me feel better. :shifty:

VintagePunk said:
Btw, I can't finish reading on pages that end with 29 or 69. I'm not quite comfortable with the page before or after either of them, either. A buffer of a couple of pages makes me feel better. :shifty:

UberBeaver said:
I won't stop reading a book on any page ending in 6 , 18 (6x3)or 13. Because of proximity, I also don't stop on 5, 7, 12, or 14, and generally to be safe I try to get to 8 or 15.

:hug: Though I do like both of those numbers. I like the design of 69, it's like a ying yang. Reg likes it for entirely different reason.

I should also add I won't stop on 37s or 47s, them being bad numbers as well.

i like things in groups of 4s, especially 4 groups of 4. so they can make patterns
xxoo ooxx oxxo xoox

im sure that means nothing to anyone but me. stupid fucking pattern-ish thing has been with since childhood.

i know i brought it up before but does anyone get ocd about your body being "balanced" and shit, as far as like not stepping on the ground harder with one foot? or is it only me?

yeah im not crazy

VertigoGal said:
i like things in groups of 4s, especially 4 groups of 4. so they can make patterns
xxoo ooxx oxxo xoox

im sure that means nothing to anyone but me. stupid fucking pattern-ish thing has been with since childhood.

i know i brought it up before but does anyone get ocd about your body being "balanced" and shit, as far as like not stepping on the ground harder with one foot? or is it only me?

yeah im not crazy

I like the patterns too. I like symmetry as well, so if I draw a pattern, I have to make the exact same pattern, only backwards, across from it.

I like when words have an odd amount of letters to them so that the middle is always clearly defined. I also count letters in words and then hope they are divisible so that I can see if any of the smaller units of the word mean anything. They rarely do. Like Divisible is 9 letters, so it's Div Isi Ble. I like that.

By balanced do you mean like when I said if I turn one way, I have turn back around the opposite way? One thing I don't like is if one foot is walking on grass and the other is on a sidewalk. I like them both to have equal resistance from the ground below, doesn't matter if it's grass or cement, just so long as it's one or the other. This often probably makes me look like an ass when I'm walking, but it bugs me.

meegannie said:

I don't like even numbers. I need a fulcrum number for balance. Though some even numbers can be okay if they're divisible by 3 or 7. The house we're buying (hopefully will be moving SOMETIME this year) is number 140, but I can make myself feel better about it because it's divisible by 7. :huh:

I do too many weird things to list here during my lunch break.

I don´t like even numbers either. When counting the numbers on the TV while flipping channels I skip the even ones. When turning up the stereo or something the number has to be an odd number. I realized I was doing this when a friend of mine saw this and said that the dial was suppossed to be on an even number.

spinaltap-36821.jpg

UberBeaver said:

And it's purple. :cute: <--- looks like 9 to me.

I just read Born on a Blue Day, it was written by an autistic savant. He has a weird relationship with numbers too.

Beav - sounds like you have synethesia. Good article here.
http://abcnews.go.com/Primetime/story?id=2311762&page=1

Also, the hair pulling is called Trichotillomania. Google it and there are lots of good web pages with tips and advice to help quit. No point going bald before your time. Article here on possible genetic link.
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=2496819&page=1

UberBeaver said:
I follow this logic completely. 9 is an awesome number. It's a cube, which means it's tight. Complete like. No worries with 9. And it's purple. :cute: <--- looks like 9 to me.

This is so me. I absolutely love the number 9, I don't even know why, but it just makes sense. I like numbers that you can split into three groups...preferably if the result is also an uneven number. Like:
9/3=3
or
15/3=5
i like that.

However, I don't like things like 18/3=6
because 6 is an even number...and 6/3=2, which really bugs me...I don't like things in pairs. I like them in groups of 3,5,or 9.

I also really don't like the number 8, because of the whole 2x4=8 and 4\2=2.

The number 10 annoys me to no end. I actually thought about resetting my last.fm account before it reached 10,000...I even stopped for a while at 9,959 plays because it was such a nice number.

Oh god I have problems. :reject:

PS: i HATE math. :angry:

bayou12780 said:

Beav - sounds like you have synethesia. Good article here.
http://abcnews.go.com/Primetime/story?id=2311762&page=1

Also, the hair pulling is called Trichotillomania. Google it and there are lots of good web pages with tips and advice to help quit. No point going bald before your time. Article here on possible genetic link.
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=2496819&page=1

Good stuff, thanks. I see color when I hear music, but it's not note by note like those people. Both Disentegration by the Cute and Nothing Shocking by Jane's Addictions, the entire albums, are Grey/Green/Black. Sometimes more one than the other, but usually one of those colors. Ritual by Jane's is White, Yellow, black and Red. OK Computer is white and blue. Ride of the Vlakyries is White and Gold. I dunno why. It just happens everytime. Some albums, though, have no color. And others are all over, like the Pixies. Strange, man. Thanks for the info.

The hair pulling I've had since I was little. I used to suck my thumb and twirl my hair. I don't think I started pulling it out until high school though. Then I stopped for a while.

Lemonchick said:
However, I don't like things like 18/3=6

PS: i HATE math. :angry:

I hate 18 because it's 6+6+6, and I think that might be a Catholic school thing. :D And I also hate math, I sucked at it. I couldn't concentrate on all the rules.

I talk to myself which makes my friends laugh a lot. Usually I do it just to be funny.

I'm sort of afraid of odd numbers. It was worse when I was younger. If I dropped a piece of food on the floor, I HAD to drop another.

Also, at random times, I'll walk past a counter or a door or something, and I HAVE to go back and touch the edge of it or I freak out. I really don't know why.

When I play saxophone, I rock back and forth, but that's mostly to keep time. But I thought I'd throw it out there anyway. :wink: But I also tap my foot, conduct silent music, drum on my desk or legs and other such things. It's like I'm constantly keeping time to imaginary music. I mentally count a lot, too.

There are probably more that I'll think of later hahaha.

VertigoGal said:

yeah im not crazy

VG you're totally not alone, my friend at school has to be completely balance towards the right, so I guess it's not exactly "balance" per say, but, the same idea. When the marching band was getting ready to play at the Poinsettia Bowl, we all had our gloves tucked under the straps on the uniform on the left side, and she looked like she was about to start crying because she wanted them on the right side, and they wouldn't let her move them.

And Beav, I haven't seen this thread in months, but now that I reread it, I totally thought you were a girl the first time I read it, before I know you :reject: Sorry Beav :(

And also, I've discovered a few other little tics I have...I swear I'm starting to think I have that restless leg syndrome thing. My leg jerks out all the time when I'm sitting on my bed, and also I bounce my leg a LOT I noticed it yesterday when I was at work eating my lunch, and I noticed my boss staring at my leg, I looked down and saw that I was bouncing it on the floor about about 20 times a sec so yeah....And I also chew the inside of my mouth like crazy, I wish I could stop that

So...added all up, I type words with my hands (though I've cut down on that and now just do it in my head), repeat phrases to myself, mumbling songs while I'm working without realizing it, have a twitch in my left eye and neck, crack my knuckles, and bounce the leg...

I need help :crazy: :lol:

Bad habit

I have a really bad habit of leaving cupboards open and lids off of things.

It's almost like i blank out, and then when i go back into the kitchen, i see what destruction I've caused.

Last edited:
I normally bring my lunch to work everyday, and make it in the mornings before I leave. in recent months, I'll put something into a container to take with me, and leave the original bowl out on the counter instead of putting it back in the fridge. this happened several times when I would make something like pudding. when I would come home and discover what I did, it wasn't pretty. on another occasion I left a container of ice cream on the counter all night. I'm sensing a dairy theme here. :hmm:

I play the air guitar AND air drums.

I also ... uh ... re-adjust myself in public sometimes. You gotta do what you gotta do.

I don't bite my nails at all, but I bite all the dead skin around them constantly.

I also use a tremendous amount of Chapstick.

I can not stand the sound of people rubbing their hands or feet or something against carpet or the fabric inside of cars. It drives me CRAZY! It seriously puts me in pain, and for some reason, it bothers my teeth. :shrug: I hate it so so much that I will seriously scream at people if they don't stop. I don't know anybody else who has this problem. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom