oh man

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Liesje

Blue Crack Addict
....I can't find my Business Writing textbook....and I think I left it in FA221...which means it's been there since Monday night....what are the odds it will still be there this Monday night? I feel sick; that book cost over $100 and has all of my homework exercises.... :( *prays*

I had an accounting book that cost $200. Book prices are nuts. :|

That sucks...I hope you find it!!!

:ohmy:

I hope that too. I know how shitty it is to lose something taht expensive and were you have excerises written in. O_O

Its been many years from my minor degree and I am aware of the costs of book from my own kids but I think that with the price of tuition that the schools should provide the books for free...JMO!

:yes:

Mr. BAW said:
Its been many years from my minor degree and I am aware of the costs of book from my own kids but I think that with the price of tuition that the schools should provide the books for free...JMO!

:yes:

my school makes us pay a mandatory Student Activities Fee even if we don't attend the "activities" (which are movies in the auditorium before they leave theaters, I'm guessing it costs $1000 to get permission to show each one....LIKE I CARE!!!!!) :mad: :rolleyes:

i really hope you find your book.

they fucking kill us on student fees. they raised them $750 bucks last semester, but not because of new activities, they wanted to get around the tuitition raising loophole. tuition raising draws attention and :eyebrows: from all over the place, but under the guise of "student fees" it makes like they're improving campus life somehow. somehow this coincided with a dramatic decrease in the quality and variety of food served at the dinning halls. i don't know about you, but i certainly will go nuts if i have to eat vegetable lo mein (and not even good veggie lo mein) every single night for dinner.

books suck. mine were really cheap this semester, i had a few of the ones for lit classes at home already so that saved me. they only ended up costing about $250 when they're usually twice as much. :| you need a job just to buy books.

the thing about the movies is that they never have anything i'd go see. and i'm usually not going to go to the campus center and watch a movie with a bunch of drunk people on a friday night. i've got better things to do.

oh, they're raising our cable fees too...enough people said they wanted HBO, etc. i've got a tv now, but i didn't have one, and i won't watch HBO. why do i have to pay an extra...not sure what it comes out to, but it's not cool.

IWasBored said:

they fucking kill us on student fees. they raised them $750 bucks last semester, but not because of new activities, they wanted to get around the tuitition raising loophole. tuition raising draws attention and :eyebrows: from all over the place, but under the guise of "student fees" it makes like they're improving campus life somehow.

the thing about the movies is that they never have anything i'd go see. and i'm usually not going to go to the campus center and watch a movie with a bunch of drunk people on a friday night. i've got better things to do.

oh, they're raising our cable fees too...enough people said they wanted HBO, etc. i've got a tv now, but i didn't have one, and i won't watch HBO. why do i have to pay an extra...not sure what it comes out to, but it's not cool.

As for tuition, ours went up AGAIN so next year I think will be $24,000. My (RICH) uncle is on the board and was preaching about how good the raise will be for the school and bla bla bla and my dad got pissed and later on wrote him a long formal letter on how stupid it is that all the rich fat old board members can glorify ANOTHER raise in tuition while the students fall farther and farther into debt and the parents (like mine) feel helpless and worthless b/c they can't afford to help either.

As for the movie thing, I wrote a scathing e-mail to the student activities director b/c one afternoon, I was up in the SAS dept office and the ladies there were all complaining b/c the students get charged these "activity fees" to see "free" movies, but this year one of the freshmen is deaf and they NEVER CC the movies. But they still charge her the fee. So I wrote the director and told him I REFUSED to pay a fee for an activity that not EVERY SINGLE STUDENT it able to participate in (not to mention, isn't CC a law or something?).

And as for cable, we don't pay a seperate cable fee (we do have two internet payments though) but our cable sucks and we only get stuff like Discovery, TLC, CNN, ESPN, TNT, USA, and VH1. Pretty much everything else besides that and the local channels are censored out.

At our schools, like I suppose many others, if you lose a book, it goes into what they call Student Debt....our boys were notorious for losing their text because the schools offer no lockers...they have one set at class and one set for home..still, it never failed that BAW and I had to come up with like $75 for 2 books that were like 10+years old....

Don't the cost of those books ever go down??? :yikes:

Mr. BAW said:
At our schools, like I suppose many others, if you lose a book, it goes into what they call Student Debt....our boys were notorious for losing their text because the schools offer no lockers...they have one set at class and one set for home..still, it never failed that BAW and I had to come up with like $75 for 2 books that were like 10+years old....

Don't the cost of those books ever go down??? :yikes:

nope :madspit: In HS we had to buy our books too (and try to sell them afterwards), same as now, but at least they were slightly cheaper and easier to find since there aren't near as many different classes as in college.

:ohmy:

books are very expensive here too... especially art books, which are the ones that I have to buy...

I really hope you get your book back liv :hug:

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

As for tuition, ours went up AGAIN so next year I think will be $24,000. My (RICH) uncle is on the board and was preaching about how good the raise will be for the school and bla bla bla and my dad got pissed and later on wrote him a long formal letter on how stupid it is that all the rich fat old board members can glorify ANOTHER raise in tuition while the students fall farther and farther into debt and the parents (like mine) feel helpless and worthless b/c they can't afford to help either.

As for the movie thing, I wrote a scathing e-mail to the student activities director b/c one afternoon, I was up in the SAS dept office and the ladies there were all complaining b/c the students get charged these "activity fees" to see "free" movies, but this year one of the freshmen is deaf and they NEVER CC the movies. But they still charge her the fee. So I wrote the director and told him I REFUSED to pay a fee for an activity that not EVERY SINGLE STUDENT it able to participate in (not to mention, isn't CC a law or something?).

And as for cable, we don't pay a seperate cable fee (we do have two internet payments though) but our cable sucks and we only get stuff like Discovery, TLC, CNN, ESPN, TNT, USA, and VH1. Pretty much everything else besides that and the local channels are censored out.

scathing emails :up:

we get all the channels of regular cable, but i wish there was an option for various packages like in real life. like, my family lives 15 minutes down the road in the same town, and the town cable allows you to choose the $10, $20, premium $40 cable pacjages and so on. but university cable is different, you automatically get everything regardless of whether you even have a tv or not to use it.

well, I found the book! :hyper: Luckily, the workstation I used last week was next to a pile of books that stay in the classroom and someone just threw my book on the pile. Now I just have to finish 7 days of exercises by 6 pm :huh:

books :mad:

i paid $160 for my o chem book last semester, and still had to pay more for the lab exercise book and even more for a hard cover notebook to write my lab reports in...i ended up around $200 for one class. wtf?

science books are killer, plus they have to keep updating editions because the information changes so quickly, and thus we need to buy brand new books every year. i have yet to get a used science book here and each is well on its way to $200...

whoohoo! you found it!

don't get me started on new editions :mad: or those supplementary cds that come with some books, and you can't sell any part of the book back if you broke the seal on the cd-rom. fortauntly i never actually did the interactive cd-rom things (they were reccomended but not required) fo chemistry so they took back the book at nearly full price. but i was insanly lucky.

I'm glad you found your book. :) College books are insanely expensive. I remember getting a reading list for a class that included six or seven "recommended for purchase" books, which at my college means the library doesn't stock enough copies of them, so you're pretty much forced to buy them. Colleges seem to have forgotten that students don't tend to have much money. :down:

FizzingWhizzbees said:
I'm glad you found your book. :) College books are insanely expensive. I remember getting a reading list for a class that included six or seven "recommended for purchase" books, which at my college means the library doesn't stock enough copies of them, so you're pretty much forced to buy them. Colleges seem to have forgotten that students don't tend to have much money. :down:

Yeah, I've NEVER bought a "recommended" text, only the "necessary" ones, and I still paid over $400 just for this semester.

My friends and I had a discussion about tuition prices, student loans, and financial aid today I think I'm going to write another scathing letter....

The problem is that I go to a school where the majority of students never even see their tuition bill b/c their parents pay everything for them and give them cars and allowances and such. I've been here two years and the only people I've met in my financial situation dropped out b/c of costs. Encouraging :|

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
The problem is that I go to a school where the majority of students never even see their tuition bill b/c their parents pay everything for them and give them cars and allowances and such. I've been here two years and the only people I've met in my financial situation dropped out b/c of costs. Encouraging :|

Ugh, I know what you mean. :( I remember the woman in the finance office at my college being suprised that I actually paid my own residence hall fees...apparently most people at my college have their parents pay for them. And I have several friends who get their parents to pay for their textbooks, no matter how much they cost. They're going to graduate from college with not a penny of debt and they won't have had a single worry about money while they're in college. I just wish people had a little more understanding of the fact that not everyone has parents who can afford to pay for everything college-related. :madspit:

Back
Top Bottom