Inside Broadcast III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
the rockin edge said:

so how many alter abuses (such as this one) does it take to get someones 'real' or 'primary' user id banned?

thats a good question
surely if someone is being abusive or trolling, regardless of what name they do it under the person is still breaking the laws and ALL their alters should get banned

i think using an alter to stir up shit is chicken and cowardice and really just an escape route to avoid getting into any real trouble.
it makes no difference if you use one name or the other, you're still causing problems and should be banned/suspended accordingly.
there could be no end to someones abuse and trolling if they just created a new name everytime knowing that each time only the name would get banned an their real identities would be safe.

we don't let banned people come back with alters so why do you let banned alters come back as their "normal" selves?

Last edited:
I can understand, sometimes, to a certain extent, why a well known member would want to ask questions or voice an opinion under an alter. There are some members here who have already had opinions formed about them from the majority of other members, or who have a certain reputation to where either they would not be taken seriously, or they would be ridiculed if they posted certain topics/posts under their real username. In this case I dont feel the 'rules' were broken badly enough per se to warrant a full banning. We also take into effect members' status, previous behaviour and history, etc. But yes, repeated instances like this can be cause for full banning of all usernames.

This thread is getting too serious now :p

meh, i still think if posts under one name warrant a banning then all names from that user should be banned full stop, even if it is only temporarily (a suspension as such) till they learn their lesson.

if its breaking the rules, its breaking the rules, what name you call yourself at the time should be irrelevent.

with this reasoning if someone said something bad under their primary name that warranted a banning, would you then let them continue using their alters because those names hadn't misbehaved?
i would think probably not, so who's to say what user name is their primary one and who decides which name to properly apply the normal standards of moderating and authority and when to let it slip by because its just an alter.

its illogical reasoning and i think the argument that certain users prefer alters because it keeps them safe has fallen flat on its face in this case... it doesn't take a genius to work out who this one belonged to and it really hasn't helped said persons cause to be better understood, instead they've only reinforced the beliefs that forced them into an alter in the first place :|

that said i do see how this particular banning may have been more of a warning - "i'm gonna ban this alter, take it as a warning and stop messing about under different names" as such... but i was just curious as to what the general concensus would be if you needed to ban a well known alter why you wouldn't just ban the whole user and how ever many names they choose to go under.

i can't decide whether i feel like starting a thread in Dont Expect, but regardless seriousness over here, let the fun carry on!

Last edited:
[serious]

I agree with digsy. The rule seems illogical and inconsistent. If people feel the need to create alters because of how people feel about their other screenname, then maybe they should spend some time patching up those relationships and considering why it is people react the way they do, rather than pretending to be someone else and acting all chummy chummy before throwing out some supposedly controversial comments.

[/seriousness]

Cleasai said:
You can't tell, but I'm trying to break the tension in here by mooning you all.

If you can moon all of Interland, how come you didn't join in the (partial) nudity at my house last month? :grumpy:

digsy said:
meh, i still think if posts under one name warrant a banning then all names from that user should be banned full stop, even if it is only temporarily (a suspension as such) till they learn their lesson.

I've said the same thing myself in the past, and I agree.

digsy said:

if its breaking the rules, its breaking the rules, what name you call yourself at the time should be irrelevent.

:up:

i still don't know who that person really was...

maybe i'll find out in the coming days :corn:

^

Even though I'm sure many people have figured it out, Sicy omitted the name from the Inside Broadcast thread, and it would only make sense that it was omitted here as well.

see my journal

Digsy has a good point...hasn't this person been banned from FYM? They then create an alter and post in FYM? Isn't this the same as being banned and creating an alter to post in other forums?

I had to check up on that.. yes that is correct.

I will be disabling all of this person's alters as a punishment, except for the main ID at this time. This is going to take some time because there are literally over 30. Should this person register another alter and continue this behaviour, permanent action will be taken.

P.S. This thread needs to now get off the subject of discussing a single member.. that is not the purpose of this thread.

digsy said:

Not necessarily. It still happens even if something isnt even listed as breaking the rules and that person has no idea they are even doing anything wrong and they are not even given any type of warning about it. :shrug: Trust me. :wink: :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom