I can't wait to get out of high school...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Techie2000

Refugee
I hate the people. I hate the teachers. I initially came into it freshman year with hope, and ended up simply enduring it. The horrible beaurocracy, lack of communication, negativity and general cyncism of the whole experience was simply draining. This was my last day before Christmas break, and the Christmas spirit while high amongst the students was almost absent from my teachers. School has always been and always will be something a bit more than just simply being educated. It is very much an experience. As far as my school, my school has no soul, no spirit to it. I will be glad to be gone from it in June. I have a feeling college will be a much more enjoyable experience.

Well, I'm in the same boat.

I'm fortunate in that my teachrs are pretty good, but i can't wait to get out of HS for my own reasons.

I can't interact with people in the way I would desire to do so because of all the fear and social barriers and BS.

I wish I worked harder and got more involved- maybe that would have changed my dispostition.
But even then, I wasn't able to do that, so i can't really think it would have made a difference.

=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

For me, maturity is a big thing
:eyebrow:
I don';t like "kids"; people who indulge in acting with great immaturity. Kids, young people, are fine. Being childish and fun-full is fine. I jsut don't like "kids"

I know I'm odd in those regards

But I can't wait......

6 more months... it seems like an eternity.
Can't wait to say goodbye to this year either

:dance:
Oh well, sometimes you just have to groove to your own music.

(anyone remember that oldie song "Marching to the beat of a different drum" or something liike that? sorry, nonsequiter- hah, "I will not follow" ;) (sort of a Latin inside joke, I guess..... uugh.... :eyebrow: :ohmy: :slant: )

Right.....
well....

I can't stop the dance;
maybe this it my last chance
I won't stop the dance;
baby, this is my last chance.

Groovin' to your own music isn't neccesarily a bad thing.
Sometimes their empty eyes say don't ask me, bye

and I'm a-dancin' with myself

(Okay, random Billy Idol song, I don't know why...)

Just keep dancing in your own way, I guess that's what I mean to say.

:dance: :dance:

i just transferred high schools my senior year (this year.)

i can't say i really "hated" my old school (which was priviate, this is my first year of public school ever) until last spring when crap happened with baseball which eventually forced me to quit the team (don't worry about that.) so the coaches of the public high school in my town actually wanted me to go to the school my junior year but i didnt, but im here my senior year.

now that im at my new school, i really enjoy it. everything is laid back (and this is completely different from the previous 2 posts in this thread) i dont want to say less mature per se but less strict and more relaxed. ok maybe it is less mature on a whole but only because the teachers aren't so strict. and you know what? i love it. i don't really want to leave in 6 months. i wish i spent all 4 years here.

i like the people better at my new school as well as the envrionment. i do look forward to college, but i also look forward to the last 5-6 months of high school where i dont have to really worry about too much. life is only going to get harder so i just want to enjoy myself and being a kid as much as possible. going to grow up some time.

i can't wait either. i want to be around people who are a little more mature and out of the nagging gaze of my parents. i can hold out a few more months.....i hope.....

If you think that the bureaucracy at a university is lesser than at a high school, you'll be very surprised. Especially if you go into grad school.

I hated high school...hell, I hated school right from the very first day I arrived in the first grade. Horrible, just horrible. I loved college though. It wasn't the social interactions (I have always been a loner), I think it was the higher expectations, more interesting course work, and that for the first time I was judged solely on what I did. I no longer followed my siblings and I was able to shine all by myself.

anitram said:
If you think that the bureaucracy at a university is lesser than at a high school, you'll be very surprised. Especially if you go into grad school.

:down: That's for sure.

And honestly, don't expect an increase in maturity either. I am amazed at how many college students (and college grads!) that are terminal 18 year olds. If you are a loner, it's great and you can definitely find your own niche without the ugly social pressure. But it's still the same "he/she isn't talking to me, ohmygod, he/she is actually talking to my/their ex, I hate youboo-hoo" crap from high school. :tsk:

The classes are much more interesting though and if you attend a smaller college, you'll make good connections with faculty.

KhanadaRhodes said:
just wait until you're out of high school, you'll be longing for the good ol' days. i guarantee. :mad:
Not neccessarily.....

I didn't have a particularly horrible high school experience - it was actually pretty bland. But even now, 15 years after leaving that snake pit, there is nothing - NOTHING! - that could send me back to those days.

It's an experience we almost all have to endure, but I think it's even worse when you're a bit more mature than your classmates and realize there is a GREAT BIG REAL world outside the stifling confines of High School. I think it helped me greatly to realize that all those "big fish" in the little pond that was my high school were going to be nobodies when they graduated...just like me. Granted, the "real world" is just as confusing, irritating, and unfair as high school, but at least out here things seem to be more random. Anybody can get singled out by the Universe to have shit dumped on them -- be they a former Prom Queen or wallflower.

And somehow, that's very comforting to me.... :shrug: :eyebrow:

anitram said:

Agreed.

The most common piece of insight I share with those about to enter college or university is that the most difficult aspect is not found in the challenge of the classroom, but rather in navigating the mind-numbing bureaucracy and administration. You would think that high academic standing and early enrollment fairs a prospective student all the opportunities in the world... sometimes that's not always the case.

However (on a positive note), things generally do get better and depending on what program you intend to enter... second year is usually the most tenuous of the educational transitions.

Good luck.

:up:

Last edited:
yey ive left high school now in college! its well tonnes better! I was like you hated school but when i left life got better. It will do for you too, im sure

AvsGirl41 said:

:down: That's for sure.

And honestly, don't expect an increase in maturity either. I am amazed at how many college students (and college grads!) that are terminal 18 year olds. If you are a loner, it's great and you can definitely find your own niche without the ugly social pressure. But it's still the same "he/she isn't talking to me, ohmygod, he/she is actually talking to my/their ex, I hate youboo-hoo" crap from high school. :tsk:

The classes are much more interesting though and if you attend a smaller college, you'll make good connections with faculty.

Because I am studying subjects that only have a small amount of people in each year (there are only 85 people in my year studying French and less doing Spanish) you find that someone is always trying to start an argument with someone in a class. I never attend big lectures and all my classes are with a small group of people, sometimes with only 2 other people. A lot of them are very anti-social and don't speak to each other and the rest spend their time being very catty (there are only one or two males in my classes, the squabbling between girls has really shocked me, I came from a school where there were a lot more males in my classes and I had more male friends). I can't say I love that aspect of university. Any friends I have made all do different courses.

I miss HS b/c I miss doing gymnastics everyday and not having to work 30 hrs a week AND do school (well, I worked almost everyday during HS, but not as many hours).

Other than that, I love living in my own house. We were required to live in the dorms for two years and that was OK, my first time having my own BED since I was 6. Now I've got my own room, first time since I was 4, and that's just fabuluous! The things I love about being in college don't really have to do with college though, lol. I like my job and I honestly don't mind working full time all summer b/c otherwise I'd get bored (worked full time in HS too, but those jobs sucked). I'm really pissed at my school for a number of reasons and they totally fucked up all of my finances (we're talking tens of thousands of dollars) which was kinda the last straw. I would transfer, but I'm taking this course in Africa next month and obviously don't want to drop out of that!

I've been out of HS for six years now.

I don't miss it.

I've been out of undergrad now for 3 years.

I don't miss it.

I've had my M.A. now since August.

....yeah, sometimes I miss that.

As for "maturity," I think the vast majority of people will never mature, regardless of their education level or age. I've met some pretty damn immature Ph.D students before.

Melon

Hmm..... a mixed bag.

WEll, for me, it's to the point as to NO MATTER WHAT I'm going to enjoy my post-HS experience more.

Seriously.

ALmost 100% of my problems are coming form my direct environment and the limits it puts on me. And I wish I were exhagerating, but I'm not.

Take me away, college!

I almost wish I could go farther away, but I'm too damn nice and I want to stay close to my crumbling family just incase they decide to need me in a way where I can actually do somehting...

Sorry about that.....

But let's just say that....
my grad. ring is one of my most prized possesions.
I purposly put no effort into getting my senior pictura taken
If I go to the prom that would be like...

someone who spits in your face, says U2 sucks, annoy you with immaturity, and perhaps even hurt your girl or someone you really cared about- - but you still give them a birthday present.

That's not right; that's not happening.

For me, (and yes, I understand some of it is due to my standards and Pride and perspective- I brought some of these feelings on myself), but school is like an evil empire.

I really want no part in it.

Hah, listen to this....

The senior T-shirt is going to say somethihng about how "being a grown up isn't easy, but growing up is the best time of our lives". Just becaue I didn't like school, I'm going to "edit" mine with some nice crossing-out-of-some-words action...

"Being a grown up isn't easy, but gowing up is the best"

heh heh heh.

And there are a lot of good kids in my school. It's just a place that I never liked, and I won't have any memories to hold on to or anything. I've got nothing to loose, and everything to gain! :yes:

I can't wait until I can truly dance to my own music

(and about the prom, I probably will go.... I know some friends who will want to go..... and everone says you should go just because....

It would sort of be like that guy with the Sunglasses and that girl from.... hah, "That 70's Show")

(And really, I shouldn't complain too much, it's not like anyone was mean to me or anything, sort of. IT's just there was so much that I could not do- for reasons beyond my control... ugh)

(wait a second... - - uh oh, it's John Malcovich- "It's beyond my control...." :lmao: :tongue: )

(what's with all these outside references?)

wow, that's alot of writing......
oh well....
Time to play "Two hearts beat as one".... stuck in my head.

"Can't stop the dance....."

I work for a University. Its Bureaucracy Au Go Go :down:

Student at gym: I twisted my ankle playing basketball, will the Uni pay my medical bills?

Gym person: Yes, but its not on the gym insurance its on your guild insurance. Please go to the guild office, its about a 10 minute walk from here.

Student at guild: Student at gym: I twisted my ankle playing basketball, will the Uni pay my medical bills?

Guild person: Yes, but its not on the gym insurance its on your uni insurance. Please go to the safety office, its about a 10 minute walk from here, up the front of the campus.

Student at safety: f@W%@ #$^#$^@#$@ $@^ &%%*&# #%^ #^ %#&^ &%#&##$8

Safety person: Im sorry, you are an international student you need to go to the international office, over next to the gym.

etc, etc, etc :banghead: :crack:

And dont get me started on internal things like financial services returning requests for cheques because financial services didnt fill out THEIR side of the own form :crack:

And yes, students do not instantaneously mature upon leaving school. They do get drunk, pass out, fall in the japanese pond, throw objects of the balcony, run along the rooftops at midnight, swim nude underneath the pool blanket, build a formulae sae racing car and drive it around and around the parking lot, set fire to all manner of things, empty the fire extinguishers so theres no co2 to put out their fires, blow up toilets, ............. :| :sad: :huh: :mad:

Last edited:
beli said:

And yes, students do not instantaneously mature upon leaving school. They do get drunk, pass out, fall in the japanese pond, throw objects of the balcony, run along the rooftops at midnight, swim nude underneath the pool blanket, build a formulae sae racing car and drive it around and around the parking lot, set fire to all manner of things, empty the fire extinguishers so theres no co2 to put out their fires, blow up toilets, ............. :| :sad: :huh: :mad:

AARRGGGHHHH!!!! Kids these days! :mad: We never did anything like that in my day. ;)

Sometimes I think it's a wonder anyone ever makes it through to adulthood (even if they never actually grow up emotionally).

LOL I didnt mean that as a "kids these days" type post. Im sure that kinda crap has been going on and will go on forever.

It was more of "dont get too wishful that Uni will be an intellectually stimulating dreamland". Pockets of it can be, but its not across the board, nor guaranteed.

I can almost guarantee that Techie will be hit in the head by more fruit and vegetables then he/she will met "mature students".

beli said:
LOL I didnt mean that as a "kids these days" type post. Im sure that kinda crap has been going on and will go on forever.

It was more of "dont get too wishful that Uni will be an intellectually stimulating dreamland". Pockets of it can be, but its not across the board, nor guaranteed.

I can almost guarantee that Techie will be hit in the head by more fruit and vegetables then he/she will met "mature students".

I was just being cheeky. :) And the rest is very true...maturity doesn't arrive at a certain age or with a certain degree. In fact, it seems it never arrives at all for many. With any luck though, one meets more people of different backgrounds in college than in high school. That alone can help a bit.

Honeslty, I don't even know if I care who I meet.

I'm so used to being sort of in my own catagory that it doesn't really matter. I hope that you can find a little more seclusion in college, even if it's at some coffee shop or in a corner of library.

It has been so for a while now, but it's a real mission of mine to find people I can get along with, and who understand me and all that jazz

I know kids are gonna act wild- they don't have any supervision from their parents so they go crazy or whatever. Hopefully it will take one to know one, and I'll run into some people I can get along with.

But even if not, I'll enjoy it.

beli said:

When I graduate from high school, feel free to send me a hard hat...

BUt it's worth a good fight, no?

Even if it still sucks, at least it won't suck as bad, or in the same way.

And novelty, well....... that';s always....... alluring, at least......

I've been out of high school now for 11 years. I just got home from spending a night out with some old high school mates. We all agree high school are not your best years in fact they sucked. College is where I found myself. College are some of the greatest years you'll have, but real life isn't bad. Real life can be hard, don't get me wrong, this is coming from someone who's lived poor and dealt with a divorce. But real life is what you make of it. Right now I'm making the best of it. And it's amazing.

Just dance like no one's watching, sing like no one's around, and love like you never been hurt before. That's my life motto.

I'm just waiting to move on, that's all, really.
I've been through 2 divorces, and I've seen both sides of each.

And yes, I wan to keep on dancing.

I can't stop the dance, mabye this is my last chance
I won't stop the dance, honey, this is our last chance.

for some reason, "Two hearts beat as one"
makes me want to dance....

but I should go to bed now.

I think I've OD'd on feedback.......
mmmmm, but it was a good indulgence.

posting and interacting is a good thing....... yes....
:yes:

I've been out of high school for a year and 8 months now, and in some ways, I personally do miss it, 'cause now I have to go into the real world and eventually, once I get a place of my own, have to deal with all the stuff that comes with that, and do all these other things adults do that I don't know if I'm ready for. But in some ways I'm excited about being an adult now, too. It's a very confusing time.

As for maturity among people-my high school in my original hometown was chock full of rather immature people. But after I moved from there to the second town I lived in, most of the kids were pretty cool and mature. There's mature teens and immature teens, there's mature adults and immature adults. That's just how life is. Hopefully you'll come across more of the mature ones in your lifetime.

Angela

Back
Top Bottom