Help me through

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jimmmm

Refugee
Hi interferencers, I've had quite a bad time recently, I'm self employed, & until recently have never experienced any problems at all regarding continuity of work & payment, but early summer this year I was offered a contract with a guy I've never done any work for before, but I know people who have, so went ahead with the job, he was away on holiday when I started, which dragged on for quite a while longer than certainly I, & probably he anticipated, & all the while I recieved no payment, anyway to cut a long story, I think you all know where this is leading, Yeah, I ended up with no pay, & out of pocket on expenses, then for the first time in years had several weeks with little or no work at all, with a wife, 3 kids & a mortgage to pay, for the first time in my life I knew what real worry was. A couple of weeks ago, out of the blue a job offer came, but, & its a big but, it meant working away from home 11 days out of 14, the sort of scenario I thought I'd finished with several years ago. I know I have to go, but it really is tearing me apart to leave my family behind for so long, my kids are aged 12, 10, & 7, & the youngest one in particular is finding it very hard whilst I'm away, I'm choking back tears typing this post now just thinking about it, & his teary phone calls, I know many people have to leave family & friends behind in order to earn a living, but whilst you as an individual are in such a situation that isn't much of a comfort, I was just wondering if anyone had any advice as to how to make it a slighly less traumatic experience, any advice will be greatly recieved.

Aww that's tough :hug:

One idea is if your family has a computer and if you have access to one while your away as well, you could have webcams plugged in to both so that way you could have video conversations with each other.. or you could even just get one for yourself and make lil video's with it and email them back home and the kids can watch them whenever they miss you. :)

Think of it as temporary....a stepping stone to get through the difficult financial times and then things can hopefully be normal again. I feel for you, hope it all works out. :hug:

it's only temporary, right? making video's would be cool, i think he'd appreciate that.

Also i think it's really great you're so close with your chilcren

That is so tough :hug: I admire you doing it though. It must be hard now, but hang in there. What you are doing for your family is so beautiful, and while they will always miss you when you're not around, they are so grateful for the sacrifice you've made for them.

I hope that things will get better for you. I'm sure they will. Perhaps this will open up some other opportunities for you. :)

I'll be praying for you and your family.

well first of all make sure you consult a lawyer about the first job you mentioned if you havent done it already

I have 3 kids too and I went alone to my grandmas funeral a couple years back and got physically ill and could not sleep a wink for days and had to go home early
Get a notebook and write them letters or just keep a journal
dont forget the little suvenoirs ...whether it be a keychain or the little soap from the hotel...with kids that part is easy....but if you have something to write in youd be surprised how you can get perspective and gather your thoughts and all
then read that to them when ya get back
what an incredible moment that would be !

Wow! Just got home, & after lots of hugs, & kisses, with my wife, & the little people, & a long soak in a hot bath, the first thing I did was to sign in & read through all the replies, what can I say, a MASSIVE THANK YOU to all of you, for your kind & wonderful words & thoughts, its really appreciated, & its really nice to know there are some really nice, caring people out there thinking of my family & me whilst I'm away, one thing I'll certainly be doing is printing these replies out, & taking a copy with me, when I go back on Monday, & reading them each night as I count down the days till Thursday 14th Dec. thats the last day until next year, so 1 more trip this year, & we'll see what the new year has to offer.
Once again, sincere thanks to all of you, its very touching to see all those wonderful replies.

Back
Top Bottom