Who here works-out? (gym equipment) - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand
Click Here to Login

Old 11-29-2008, 11:50 AM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:17 PM
Gym memberships are a sure way of wasting your money.
Except for the first few weeks you actually go to the use the gym, most people just do not use it. *guilty*

Old 11-29-2008, 03:35 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocksU2 View Post
Except for the first few weeks you actually go to the use the gym, most people just do not use it. *guilty*
Maybe it's true for most people.

But it's sure some of the best $ I've ever spent. (Or that my employer has spent haha)

Old 11-29-2008, 03:37 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

I get $100 a year from my employer.
Old 11-29-2008, 08:07 PM   #19
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 08:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocksU2 View Post
The reason I held off on joining a gym for so long was because I thought I'd fall into this group. I'm glad I don't - the money has been well worth it. I've been going to the gym since March, and with a few exceptions have gone at least 3 times a week, and usually 4. I've definitely seen results, too. MUCH better endurance, and much better muscle definition (though there's still miles to go there...). I do much more cardio than weights, but thanks to a sprained ankle from basketball, I'll be switching that around for the next week or 2.
Old 11-29-2008, 08:44 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

I'm really lucky my employer has benefits for working out. I work at a college, so as staff I have full access to the gym and health facilities like any student. The only problem is that we have been constructing a new arena and gymnasium for over a year now. Before that, the "weight room" was a joke. It was so small and busy, it was hardly worth it unless you actually went DURING the students' usual meal times. The cardio machines had to be reserved, lol. I went when I was a student and took a lifting class and then continued for a bit after that. I'm not sure how much longer I'll be around but if I am, I'll try out the new facility when it's finished in the spring. We also get quarterly cash incentives from our health insurance provider. We have to do stuff like take workout classes they offer, get yearly physicals, participate in their programs (for example we did Walk to the Moon where you wore pedometers and got points based on your steps). So I get $75 every 3 months that I suppose I could use towards a gym membership but at present I don't have time for structured workouts. I do better with my machine in my home, I can use it whenever I have time and not have to deal with a commute.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:16 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

How much are you guys paying for your memberships?

I've been to a variety of gyms. The cheapest membership I had was $32/month (no fee), the average I would say was about $60/month. I would also take the one my employer covered on top of the one I had, and that was a super nice gym at $180/month - I certainly wouldn't pay for that out of pocket.

I think it's worth paying a little more for a well equipped gym where you don't have to wait for machines, and also 24/7 is a must. Everything else (like free towels, robes, etc), I could pass on.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:42 PM   #22
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 08:17 PM
I'm paying about $30/month with 24hr Fitness. The gym I use has an indoor basketball court, a 4 lane swimming pool and jacuzzi, a large cardio area (treadmills, stairmasters, ellipticals, cycles, rows...) and a pretty large weights area (I never have to wait), as well as a couple group-x rooms. And I can use any 24hr location, too, even their super-duper mega gym locations. It's a pretty sweet deal for me.
Old 11-30-2008, 06:12 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Costco right now has two year membership to 24 hour for $200 which is a really good deal.

I get my money's worth from my membership without a doubt. I'm a regular at 3 different locations, having them everywhere is so convenient.

For at home workouts, I think you can do quite a bit with an exercise ball and some free weights. If you can learn good form you'll make better use of your time with free weights which incorporate more muscle groups. A session or two with a trainer to make sure you're using proper form, is a good use of money
Old 11-30-2008, 09:36 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

That's super cheap, there's no way you'd find gyms around here for that price or anywhere close to that.
Old 11-30-2008, 09:41 PM   #25
Blue Crack Supplier

They just built a brand new gym right across from my high school, but I cannot afford a membership there.

I have some free weights that I lift on occasion to make me feel like I'm doing something about being extremely thin.
Old 11-30-2008, 10:13 PM   #26
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 10:17 PM
They don't have a weight room in your high school. Mine did. You can use that for free.
Old 11-30-2008, 10:21 PM   #27
Blue Crack Supplier

It's only open for a half hour after school, and is always taken up by sports teams. On top of that, most days I could not even go in that time period anyway.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:01 PM   #28
BAW
The Flower

Local Time: 06:17 PM
We pay $59 per month at LA Fitness (for both of us) but we just mailed in a cancellation request because the facility closest to us just sucks. We enrolled in 2000 when the gym opened and it was great but 8 years later, they haven't updated anything but the ellipitcal machines. Rick has been to a few other locations when he travels for work and they are all updated and modern but ours has 8 year old machines with cracked pads, missing pins and way too many non-working displays on the treadmills and stationary bikes. In one visit recently, I had 2 non-working ellipticals and a treadmill with a collapsed belt.

We are going to look for an elliptical and a stationary bike to use at home, along with the free weights and exercise balls we already have. We've also considered joining the YMCA or community center gym near us, depending on the equipment.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:05 PM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

Look for used gym equipment on Craigslist....they have dozens there.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:06 PM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Also, if I could recommend something that really works; Yoga.