Please recommend some car insurance (USA) - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand
Click Here to Login

Old 03-05-2012, 07:48 PM   #1
War Child

Local Time: 05:50 AM
Please recommend some car insurance (USA)

hi Mods, I get the feeling this ain't the appropriate sub-forum, but it's the closest I could find, sorry! I really hope there's a place on interference for such help questions.

Hi all, I just got my driver license in Ohio and I'm pretty darn new to driving. I'm pretty new to the US of A too. I need to buy car insurance soon. My situation is pretty simple:

-just one person driving one car (no family combo packs or whatever)
-I plan on buying a used Honda Civic. Nothing fancy at all. Probably in the ballpark of 2004ish (almost 10 years old). I'd choose a sedan over a coupe. haha, ok, car TMI.
-like I said, I just got my Ohio license and I'm new to driving, so I fully expect to have to pay the noob driver rates
-I'm looking for a package close to the bottom of the ladder (the "minimum I need to be insured" area). Cover damages on the other person, and probably a little on my own car.

I'm pretty intimidated and don't know where to start. Even among the big names, there are so many: Nationwide, AllState, Statefarm, Progressive, Geico! Sheesh! Also, anyone heard of safeauto? Are they another big-name company? They came up when I googled cheap car insurance.

All advice is welcome, even if it's just to say "____ overcharged me and their coverage sucks!"

Also, if anyone knows of a good car help forum with users who take sexual pleasure in helping noobs, please tell me. (I don't want to go to Aston Martin forums and rain on their parades of V10 transmissions )

Thanks!

Old 03-05-2012, 07:49 PM   #2
45:33

Local Time: 09:50 PM
Better call Saul.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:53 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:50 AM
Progressive is awesome and they do give you the rates for other companies. I have mine through them, and the comprehensive coverage really isn't that much. Try also Allstate's value plan.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:11 PM   #4
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

i like farmers.

okay, now that i've hit reply that looks silly, but i mean farmers the insurance company. state farm are a bunch of assholes, they cancelled my parents' policy that they'd had for 20-odd years after my dad got epilepsy. joke was on them when my mom cancelled her home and life insurance with them too.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:06 AM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhanadaRhodes View Post
i like farmers.

okay, now that i've hit reply that looks silly, but i mean farmers the insurance company. state farm are a bunch of assholes, they cancelled my parents' policy that they'd had for 20-odd years after my dad got epilepsy. joke was on them when my mom cancelled her home and life insurance with them too.
I have to deal with State Farm at work, and yeah, assholes is the best way to describe them.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:23 AM   #6
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:50 AM
consider shelling out a bit more for a rental option on it in the event that you do smash up your car (or a tree bites a chunk out of it during a storm, and the body shop takes their sweetass time fixing it), and don't go with something like a local agent who functions as a middleman thru a few different agencies (they'll pick the more expensive thing for you and screw you, and because in the event you do need to file a claim, it doubles the amount of frustrating on hold music and times you have to explain the problem).

I don't really have any answers as to what you should do, but I've learned a few things that suck.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:25 PM   #7
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!

Local Time: 02:50 AM
You're in good hands with Allstate.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:15 PM   #8
Blue Crack Distributor

i haven't had a car in a little over a year now, but when i did i had progressive and never had any issues on the few claims that i filed.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:41 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
I am long time State Farm customer. I have never had a problem with any of my policies or claims and have several policies with them.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:50 PM   #10
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 02:50 AM
I have State Farm too and never had a problem. I had a janky insurance years ago and then someone rear ended me and the person had State Farm.. they took care of me so well, got me a rental car and fixed my car up. Everything went so smoothly and I felt like they really took care of me so I decided to switch to them.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:48 AM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

We have Meemic, but I think this is only available in Michigan and only for school teachers and their families. Before that we had AllState for auto and renters. The rate was higher than what we pay now, but we did have one accident and they took care of us. We didn't even pay a deductible. They paid to have the van towed and paid for two (long) rounds of repairs. We didn't have to pay the deductible since the other driver was 100% at fault (Phil was stopped in a left turn lane and she slammed into him while texting).
Old 03-07-2012, 11:52 AM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

I always hated Geico's commercials until we actually did some legwork and figured out that we would save a shitload by switching to them. They claim 15 percent or more, but I think we saved like 60 percent by going from Allstate to them.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:14 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

USAA is excellent for auto insurance, but access to their insurance policies may be limited to military members/family members.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:11 PM   #14
War Child

Thanks very much everyone! Seems like all the big-name companies are reliable and have a decent rep. (although State Farm is getting mixed reviews). I'm looking for cheap, too! I'll look into their value plans.

Yeah, Geico and Progressive advertise a lot on tv, but if what they say is true... (well, all the big names advertise a lot, every time I turn on the tv)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWasBored View Post
consider shelling out a bit more for a rental option on it in the event that you do smash up your car (or a tree bites a chunk out of it during a storm, and the body shop takes their sweetass time fixing it), and don't go with something like a local agent who functions as a middleman thru a few different agencies (they'll pick the more expensive thing for you and screw you, and because in the event you do need to file a claim, it doubles the amount of frustrating on hold music and times you have to explain the problem).

I don't really have any answers as to what you should do, but I've learned a few things that suck.
Are you telling me to get a package that covers me when I drive rental cars too? Doesn't renting a car come with insurance attached to that? Eep! But good advice on not going through some insurance agent. I'll just purchase straight from progressive.com or whichever company I end up going with
Old 03-07-2012, 06:08 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Speaking as a former insurance agent, that is an excellent idea