A Survival Guide For Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
god, you two. put a sock in it.
:tsk:

and yes, spiders can swim. funnel webs are supposedly really good at it.

hey khan, have i told you ALLLLLLLLLLLLLL about NZ bird eating spiders? pull up a pew, chicken pie. we're gonna have a story.

:angry:

I took photos of some spiders I saw in Queensland in December. I should totally post them, eh Khan?

I saw a huntsman spider about as big as a finger last night. Also my dad stepped on a king brown snake in our backyard the other night.

~Tales of Australia~

which finger? and the king brown which can kill a grown man in, oh, 20 minutes?

Like, a pretty big finger.

I found out it was just a baby snake, too. Their bites are even deadlier.

For the record, I've known people bitten by king browns who didn't die, and didn't have any medical treatement. That is, they only got slightly bitten through thick clothing. They were still vomiting everywhere and passing out and stuff, though.

~More Tales of Australia~

Like, a pretty big finger.

I found out it was just a baby snake, too. Their bites are even deadlier.

For the record, I've known people bitten by king browns who didn't die, and didn't have any medical treatement. That is, they only got slightly bitten through thick clothing. They were still vomiting everywhere and passing out and stuff, though.

~More Tales of Australia~

Was it definitely a mulga? I've just googled and the regular brown snakes are still deadly, just not like the king browns which are take out the 2nd best ribbon behind the taipan.

:heart: australia :heart:

Was it definitely a mulga? I've just googled and the regular brown snakes are still deadly, just not like the king browns which are take out the 2nd best ribbon behind the taipan.

:heart: australia :heart:

Hmm, it may have been the Eastern brown snake. We get them as well as King browns and red bellied black snakes around here. (The maps on Wikipedia are bullshit, not only do we have mulgas, I've also seen red bellies as far west as Eyre peninsula. My dad killed one when were staying at Coffin Bay once :love:).

edit: This is kind of a good read, especially if you're a potential visitor to Australia: http://members.iinet.net.au/~bush/myth.html

Australian snakes are inoffensive and very shy. They have had only forty thousand odd years of human predation to contend with. None of their behaviour has evolved targeting humans. The traditional Aboriginal people only harvested the "quiet" nonvenomous snakes, rarely were the "cheeky" venomous species taken. Maybe this is why it is almost impossible to accidentally get bitten by one unless you run around the scrub in bare feet with your eyes shut, and half full on alcohol.

So there was a tarantula in the bathroom this morning, apparently. My mum and sister killed it before I woke up :(

Back
Top Bottom