Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 09-08-2010, 08:33 PM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:40 AM
Turns out you can buy happiness after all

Interesting findings...

Quote:
Can money buy you happiness? Well, yes and no. It depends on what kind of happiness you’re after, according to the latest research in the field.

If you’re hoping for emotional happiness and a sense of joy in your life, then your chances of being happy peak when your household income hits $75,000 (U.S.).

This finding is part of a study written by Nobel Prize-winning behavioural psychologist Daniel Kahneman and his colleague, economist Angus Deaton.

But they also found that, by a measure called “life evaluation,” the $75,000 threshold is non-existent. This second kind of happiness is measured by asking people if they are living the best possible life for them, on a scale of one to 10. And by this standard, happiness does continue to increase relative to household income.
Turns out you can buy happiness after all - The Globe and Mail

Old 09-08-2010, 09:32 PM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:40 PM
It is not particularly scientific.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:49 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

None of the studies of this sort are ever going to be scientifically rigorous; it simply isn't possible to do so (you can't ever establish a good control group being one reason).

What I found interesting about it is that they used two distinct definitions of happiness, which to me is a bit of a kickback to Maslow's famous pyramid in a way. Another thing is that I don't know whether I could exactly pinpoint a personal peak in the first type of happiness but thinking back to my own life, I do think that for me it is true that the first type did peak while the second one did not in that same way.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:55 PM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:40 PM
Happiness? Ha! I can't think of anything that makes me happy. I can't think of anyone or anything. Nothing. Nothing comes to my mind. As I get older, things that used to make me happy don't even work. This isn't 'depression'. It's just the way things are. It's called getting bored and jaded.

These Buddhist monks that live in poverty and medidate for years and years - are they happy? Probably. Happier than me, I'd guess. Could be wrong, maybe they're miserable c**** too.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:29 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:40 AM
I guess it depends on what happiness means.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:32 PM   #6
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 07:40 AM
Cool, another two or so promotions at work, and I may be able to achieve optimal happiness!

Sweet.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:38 PM   #7
Jesus Online

Local Time: 02:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
Happiness? Ha! I can't think of anything that makes me happy. I can't think of anyone or anything. Nothing. Nothing comes to my mind. As I get older, things that used to make me happy don't even work. This isn't 'depression'. It's just the way things are. It's called getting bored and jaded.

These Buddhist monks that live in poverty and medidate for years and years - are they happy? Probably. Happier than me, I'd guess. Could be wrong, maybe they're miserable c**** too.
Having no natural fluctuation in mood is not simply getting bored and jaded. You might be bored and jaded anyway, but it's not mutually exclusive. You must be so bored and boring. How do you handle being so dull? There must be some grim incentive in it.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:04 AM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

I think the only real happiness comes from liking yourself, in the best ways possible..that is by still having humility and decency and all of the related qualities. If you're always looking for things that you think make you happy without that you'll always be unhappy. Money can't make you like yourself, it can just temporarily dull the pain and for some people it makes them think they're better people and that others like them.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:22 AM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

To me, money comes into play as far as opportunity, not so much material possession. Money means you have time to do what it is that makes you tick, and not worry about bills and loans and mouths to feed. If I had a lot of money, I'd definitely travel more.

That's not to say I'm not happy now (I am), but I'm not so happy that I'd turn away a million dollars!
Old 09-09-2010, 11:32 AM   #10
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 07:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
To me, money comes into play as far as opportunity, not so much material possession.
Ayup.

(Although I'm not going to lie - I would buy some kick-ass material possessions if I made more money. Like a new couch. )
Old 09-09-2010, 11:52 AM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
To me, money comes into play as far as opportunity, not so much material possession.
Absolutely agree with this.

People with money still have problems like everyone else and still have stress in their lives. It's just that they happen to have one less stress. And money does provide you with the opportunity to do things that you otherwise could not.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:04 PM   #12
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 09:40 AM
Like take lengthy European/African vacations?

sowhatifi'mjealous?
Old 09-09-2010, 12:10 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Haha.

In all seriousness for me it's about prioritizing, not $. For example, I drive a 9-year-old Honda Civic (I won't bother to tell you what other people in my profession drive), live in a condo that's probably half the size of what I need and could afford and probably 60% of the time I take leftovers to work and reheat them (almost everyone else eats out every lunch).
Old 09-09-2010, 12:29 PM   #14
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 09:40 AM
I hope you didn't take my comment as to think you're being awfully spendy - it definitely wasn't meant as such.

I totally agree about prioritizing, too. Getting out and seeing the world is a far more worthy goal then having a status symbol car/house/latest greatest thing.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:25 AM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 08:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
They are looking for equanimity actually. Yes and some are miserable (especially in Tibet and Myanmar/Burma).