The Opposite Of Loneliness - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2012, 04:29 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
While he and his friends didn't seem to get drunk precisely every night, it was certainly a most weekends experience, from how he described.
My recollection is that Thurs/Fri/Sat you were either at a bar or partying, so that much was absolutely true and I would say that it's pretty typical for certain types of schools. You have to understand that there are generally two kinds of university settings in North America - one is predisposed to having a large local population (these tend to be either cheaper state colleges, universities in urban settings - essentially a commuter school) and the other is a true college-town type school where almost all students are from somewhere else, but congregate on the typically small town. So your experience can largely vary depending on which type of school you attended.

That movie is grossly exaggerated - not just the drugs aspect, but the rampant sex (sure, promiscuity happens in college, but let's get real, no way are that many people getting laid all the time), the fact that most of the people either identified as bi or were suggested to be bi and sleeping with everything under the sun, etc. And as for Porsches and so on - totally unrealistic and probably true of a VERY SMALL subset of the population. I went to particularly wealthy law school where I'd say maybe 20% were rich kids, but even for them, they'd live in luxury condos and maybe drive a BMW SUV or a small Acura...by no means are we talking about what you are thinking of.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:38 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Penn State is everything you are hoping for, FG. I am just drunk all the time there. Parties all the time. Tons of insanity.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:54 PM   #18
The Male

Local Time: 02:06 PM
There are two kinds of people in college: jocks and nerds. As a jock, it's Financeguy's job to give nerds a hard time.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:25 PM   #19
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
Yes. Why wouldn't I be? Ok, Rules of Attraction is about spoiled trust fund kids attending an elite New Hampshire college, but some of John Updike's novels, which feature a lower middle class milieu, describe experiences of similar decadence, barring maybe the cocaine.
Rules of Attraction is also (clearly) fiction. That kind of college experience, or a similarly decadent experience for lower middle class students, is so far away from the norm that it hardly merits the kind of weight you're giving it. As for students being given Porsches, well yes, a certain subset of kids with wealthy parents are spoiled, but again, in the grand scheme of the American student population, they're the outliers.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:00 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

I've seen that movie and never made a connection to my college experience. I probably wouldn't be able to point out a Porsche if one ran over me in the school parking lot.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:01 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 04:06 PM
I don't think I'm even all that familiar with 'Rules of Attraction'. It rings a bit of a bell, but I've never seen it at all.

Yeah, the only time I've ever seen a Porsche is if it's passing me on the highway. My family sure as hell never had that kind of money.

I've only done one year of community college, but even if I did go to a regular state university, I wouldn't have had that kind of crazy experience, either. I'm a very indoorsy person, have my small group of friends and that's that, I'm not one who drinks regularly, I've never done drugs and have no interest in them, and I'm not one who'd date tons of guys. Oh, I'd go to a party here and there, sure, if I knew everyone there well enough, and I'd go out to a bar on occasion or go dancing with friends. But I'm not a "WOO! Wild and crazy party!" girl by any means.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:46 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Having gone to a school nicknamed the University of Spoiled Children I certainly have seen my share of students in luxury cars, though mostly BMWs as opposed to Porsches. That said even at my very expensive private school the majority of the students were middle class, with scholarships and loans. My college experience was nothing like the Rules of Engagement. It was however much like that of the young woman who wrote that beautiful article.

The transition out of school was hard for me because I am a bit shy and my school friends mostly left the area. I went from being surrounded by friends with there always being something to do to spending nights alone. It was hard.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:26 AM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
There are two kinds of people in college: jocks and nerds. As a jock, it's Financeguy's job to give nerds a hard time.
This seems more reminiscent of high school rather than college, no?
Old 05-31-2012, 09:08 AM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

I don't see how anyone can just get drunk and party in college, with the obscene amount of money it costs. Isn't that like an f you to your parents, if they're paying for it? And either way it's ultimately just an f you to yourself.

All I did during college was study and work, and the cost of mine was not as obscene as it is now. I could have never done that, I guess I was just too responsible I don't drink anyway and I didn't back then either.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:39 AM   #25
The Fly

Local Time: 03:06 PM
That is a great article. I was a bit of a nerd in college and the only groups I was ever a part of were the Computer Science group (a bunch of CS majors would get together and do projects/have dinner 1-2 times a week) and web monkeys (which was a school club responsible for web design and other projects for the school, I became the head of that club my senior year and taught the freshman about code). I went to a few parties (maybe one a year?) but mostly I didn't do any of the crazy stuff most people did in college. I graduated a semester early and got a job very far away from home where I did not know anybody.

It was rough, and I spent the first six months out at my new job never really leaving my apartment. I did eventually make new friends, though no where near the community I had in college. On one hand I do miss it but on the other hand I know myself a lot more than I did in school and I am much more secure in who I am and what I want in life. I've made some friends that I'm sure I will have for decades and even retained a few lifelong friends from school.

I remember feeling really lonely for that first year out of school, though, and making a lot of stupid decisions because of that. College was a fantastic experience for me. I can't say I'd go back because of how great my life is now, but I do look back fondly on it. Really great article.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:10 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen
I don't see how anyone can just get drunk and party in college, with the obscene amount of money it costs. Isn't that like an f you to your parents, if they're paying for it? And either way it's ultimately just an f you to yourself.

All I did during college was study and work, and the cost of mine was not as obscene as it is now. I could have never done that, I guess I was just too responsible I don't drink anyway and I didn't back then either.
Work hard and play harder.

I think people who are straight edge just don't get it, honestly.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:23 PM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
Work hard and play harder.

I think people who are straight edge just don't get it, honestly.
This. And there's nothing more abrasive than these straight edge clowns
Old 05-31-2012, 02:53 PM   #28
Blue Crack Distributor

Well, you get drunk on really cheap beer. That's how you do it.

I knew many people in college who partied hard, and partied often. And they also studied very hard, and got a darned good education.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:26 PM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

I really just cut sleep out of the equation to make it work. I have good grades and party on.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:28 PM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
I really just cut sleep out of the equation to make it work. I have good grades and party on.
Oh to have that youth back. Enjoy it!

At 32, I can't do that anymore without feeling like death the next day.