Support the troops? - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2010, 08:07 AM   #31
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:31 PM
Of course nobody said it, and of course the definition of "war crimes" is rather specific...speaking of hyperbole posts, I mean, really.

Old 10-14-2010, 04:54 PM   #32
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner El Guapo View Post
Wow.

So according to a few posters, there are at least 150,000 war criminals currently walking around in the US military, or have been discharged since the two wars began.

Because for 99.9% to not be accurate, that's how many you'd need.

Bullshit hyperbole

.1% of 1.5M (active members) = 1,500. If twice that number has been been discharged, we get 3,000. If you throw reserves and what not, you can double that, I guess. So 6,000.

Unless you're using some of FOX NEWS algorithm, in which case the math above makes sense. By "few" you mean none, and then multiply that by 10, technically, you still get none, but you can round up to 1, which is not really a "few" but you can then probably safely assume that there's probably 1 more somewhere, so now we're at a "couple" and then, naturally, they will reproduce, so you get to 3 which is a safe "few".

Old 10-14-2010, 05:49 PM   #33
Refugee

Quote:
When my son was age 13 to 14. There was the ROTC at his school. He brought home a paper and asked if he could join? His dad and I said. Absolutely not. Age fourteen is too young to recruit. Plus, it pissed me off to no end. That ROTC was only located in the middle class and poorer neighborhood public schools. None in the wealthy public schools. And yes there are some.
That's really strange. Didn't know ROTC could touch them. The Marines aren't allowed to call anyone younger than 17.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:27 PM   #34
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 09:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBeaver View Post
.1% of 1.5M (active members) = 1,500. If twice that number has been been discharged, we get 3,000. If you throw reserves and what not, you can double that, I guess. So 6,000.
Where'd you learn that fancy math? In a book??

Old 10-15-2010, 11:07 PM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Support U.S soldiers?

Yes

I"m very thankful for the soldiers who fought (and died) in World War Two
and stopped the evil.

And the soldiers now?

Yes, I support.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:32 PM   #36
Refugee

Local Time: 03:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pac_Mule View Post
That's really strange. Didn't know ROTC could touch them. The Marines aren't allowed to call anyone younger than 17.
Yes, I thought so too. I never heard of ROTC on any high school campus before. Just the community college and universities during the sixties and seventies.

But, they did send papers home with the students asking to educate your child through the ROTC program. I was really angered by this and it pissed me off to no end. Because, this was only at the working/middle class income area schools. No wealthy public schools, what so ever.

Check out the Michael Moore film. He talks about how the military targets and recruits. They would hang around the shopping malls and focus on teenagers. They even called my home, wanting to recruit my son. I hung up on them. He was only seventeen and still in high school. Much too young to make that choice.

My husband and I both saw what Vietnam did to some of our family members. We weren't going to sacrifice our child.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:06 PM   #37
Refugee

Quote:
He was only seventeen and still in high school. Much too young to make that choice.
I am actually only 17 and enlisted.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:59 AM   #38
has a

Quote:
My mom wouldn't sign off on my enlistment at 17. I wanted to do basic training the summer between junior and senior year, and be ahead of the game for college and ROTC. Didn't happen.

I was in JROTC for the semester of my junior year that I was at St. Thomas Academy.

I knew what I was doing then, but I don't regret it not happening now.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:33 PM   #39
Refugee

For the record I'm not in ROTC, just standard enlistment in Marine Corps
Old 10-19-2010, 01:08 PM   #40
has a

Quote:
For the record I'm not in ROTC, just standard enlistment in Marine Corps
No, but if you put in your 2 years of active as an enlisted, it will give you great perspective if you go on to college and ROTC or OCS.

Good luck regardless.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:04 PM   #41
Refugee

Quote:
I wish you only the best and pray that you will always be safe.

I want to make a point. As to what I was saying before. I do not "knock" the brave men and woman who defend our country. I sleep safe tonight because of you. I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

I grow up during a different time. We were in a very long war. I can't say if it was right or wrong. I honestly don't know. I was only a child. But, I saw what it did to our soldiers, my family members who returned home. The training back then and the resources to help, were I'm sure. Not as good as they are now.

I told my son. If he wanted to join the military. He would have to go to college first. I felt that age 21 or 22 would be much better for him to make that choice.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:18 PM   #42
Refugee

Quote:
My son graduated from high school in 2002. So, I'm not sure if ROTC is still on the high school campus. But, there were at his school. In 1998. In all fairness, 9/11 hadn't occured as of yet. It was a program to help your child get college money.

My husband and I just weren't comfortable with it. My son was a great student and college would have been no problem for him. Plus, of course we would help with the expenses.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:59 AM   #43
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by A stor View Post
I wish you only the best and pray that you will always be safe.

I want to make a point. As to what I was saying before. I do not "knock" the brave men and woman who defend our country. I sleep safe tonight because of you. I thank you from the bottom of my heart.
There's no need to pander to him.

I don't think there are many people in their right minds who would wish harm or bad luck to someone in the armed forces.

For many folks, the military is just a decent provider of structure and some college money. Unfortunately, I have a couple of high school friends who joined up because they liked Saving Private Ryan and Starship Troopers, and who I wouldn't really want to see given a semi-automatic rifle to point at things.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see how one could see the modern U.S. military, with its current mandate and idiots in Washington who got it into this mess, as a shining beacon of service, pride, and defending one's country. If anything they're creating more future terrorists over there.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:41 PM   #44
Refugee

Quote:
There's no need to pander to him
There isn't, and I don't ask for it, but I do enjoy hearing those kinds of things, lol. Thank you Kramwest and A Stor.

Quote:
Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see how one could see the modern U.S. military, with its current mandate and idiots in Washington who got it into this mess, as a shining beacon of service, pride, and defending one's country. If anything they're creating more future terrorists over there.
Our current mandate is to keep extremism out of Afghanistan, help out rebuilding with the local population, and provide humanitarian aid. Thats what it's always been in any situation really.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:47 PM   #45
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Our current mandate is to keep extremism out of Afghanistan, help out rebuilding with the local population, and provide humanitarian aid. Thats what it's always been in any situation really.
Your mandate is to support nation building overseas, which is a strange mandate for a national military force.

I would wish anyone in the armed forces a safe journey and a safe return. But I don't see it as a shining beacon of light like some others do and frankly I've seen enough of what happens to individuals serving (and not that rarely either) to know that they are no better than any other person who picks up a gun. There is really only one group in a war that is innocent - the civilians - everyone else, in my view, is seen best when we get rid of some of our naivete. For example, none of Abu Ghraib surprised me in the least.