Reporter and Cameraman Murdered on Live TV - Page 12 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 08-31-2015, 07:19 PM   #166
Refugee

Local Time: 01:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
i have some intellectual issues with hate crimes in general, but there's a pretty clear standard when it comes to their definition.
Obviously I have a few issues with the concept as well, and just disagree with your take on this particular incident.

Old 08-31-2015, 07:53 PM   #167
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 10:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluer White View Post
Mandatory buybacks or the equivalent for semi-automatics and banning their bullets would be a tough sell in America.

Not anything close to incremental change.
Where does it specifically state that you get free range to what weapons you can purchase? It just says 'Bear arms". You can buy a weapon, you can bear an arm. A buyback for semi-automatics really shouldn't be that difficult. But of course, the NRA Washington will dig its heels in and prevent what it seems a great many people of this "Republic" want.

Old 08-31-2015, 08:09 PM   #168
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Mandatory buybacks or the equivalent for semi-automatics and banning their bullets would be a tough sell in America.

Not anything close to incremental change.

I think it would be a tough sell as well. We're talking about a country where 85% of the country wants more gun control, but politicians are too fearful of the NRA to do much of anything. If a classroom full of first graders mangled by semi-automatic weapons doesn't move our politicians to action, what will?

That said, it was clearly successful in two relatively culturally similar countries they have a fraction of our gun violence. Might it be a good idea?
Old 08-31-2015, 08:09 PM   #169
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Obviously I have a few issues with the concept as well, and just disagree with your take on this particular incident.

It's not just my take, it's the legal definition. But what causes you to view this as a hate crime?
Old 08-31-2015, 08:13 PM   #170
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
Where does it specifically state that you get free range to what weapons you can purchase? It just says 'Bear arms". You can buy a weapon, you can bear an arm. A buyback for semi-automatics really shouldn't be that difficult. But of course, the NRA Washington will dig its heels in and prevent what it seems a great many people of this "Republic" want.

Really, we have to look at the history of the NRA and its leadership change in 1977 -- that was when the language around guns began to change and the notion of any gun, any time, any person, "from my cold, dead hands" as some sort of inalienable right came into vogue, and it gained steam during the Reagan years. Before that, the NRA was, ironically, focused on gun training and gun safety. Now, it's focused on the exact opposite -- gun sales, and whipping up nativist fear in order to do so.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:19 PM   #171
Refugee

Quote:
It would be that difficult though. And unrealistic.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:26 PM   #172
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 06:48 PM
Reporter and Cameraman Murdered on Live TV

Quote:
I think it would be a tough sell as well. We're talking about a country where 85% of the country wants more gun control, but politicians are too fearful of the NRA to do much of anything. If a classroom full of first graders mangled by semi-automatic weapons doesn't move our politicians to action, what will?

That said, it was clearly successful in two relatively culturally similar countries they have a fraction of our gun violence. Might it be a good idea?

85% in the United States? Bull crap. You're off by over 30%. Heck, not even 80% of democrats support more gun control.
I'd like to see your source on that polling data.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
Old 08-31-2015, 08:31 PM   #173
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsaget77 View Post
85% in the United States? Bull crap. You're off by over 30%. Heck, not even 80% of democrats support more gun control.
I'd like to see your source on that polling data.

It's commonly understood that post Sandy Hook, around 80% of the country wanted stricter gun control. A bill was ready to go, and it didn't pass Congress. It would have, if I understand right, strengthened background check enforcement online and at gun shows, the one form of gun control enforcement overwhelmingly supported on both sides.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:38 PM   #174
Refugee

Quote:
It's not just my take, it's the legal definition. But what causes you to view this as a hate crime?
Of course I've read the legal definition and several interpretations of it, including yours here. Not going to argue any further about a label. Not going to bring anyone back.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:38 PM   #175
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 06:48 PM
Reporter and Cameraman Murdered on Live TV

Quote:
It's commonly understood that post Sandy Hook, around 80% of the country wanted stricter gun control. A bill was ready to go, and it didn't pass Congress. It would have, if I understand right, strengthened background check enforcement online and at gun shows, the one form of gun control enforcement overwhelmingly supported on both sides.

The recent polls I've checked from this month are around 52% of the nation. 77% of democrats, 48% of independents, and 31% of republicans. In fact, since January of 2013, it's been pretty consistently around 50%.

Old 08-31-2015, 08:46 PM   #176
The Male

I think 52% places us firmly in the region of "we need to have a serious talk about this situation and not just ignore it because gun lobby."

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 08:55 PM   #177
Refugee

Quote:
I'm part of the percentage of the country looking for a little more gun common sense, and/or more spirited enforcement of existing laws. Don't really care about manufactured polling percentages.

85%, 52%. Whatever. I see a lot of non-starters in the thread here.

No wonder there's a stalemate in Congress.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:13 PM   #178
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I read recently of proposal that would allow family members to put a hold on a family member to make a gun purchase if they were fearful of violence. Can't find a link to it right now.

That seems reasonable to me.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:24 PM   #179
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I'm part of the percentage of the country looking for a little more gun common sense, and/or more spirited enforcement of existing laws. Don't really care about manufactured polling percentages.

85%, 52%. Whatever. I see a lot of non-starters in the thread here.

No wonder there's a stalemate in Congress.

There are lots of good ideas and solutions that have been implemented in other countries, as well as broad bipartisan support to do something.

The stalemate is almost entirely due to political fear and the big money behind the NRA.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:45 PM   #180
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsaget77 View Post
The recent polls I've checked from this month are around 52% of the nation. 77% of democrats, 48% of independents, and 31% of republicans. In fact, since January of 2013, it's been pretty consistently around 50%.

It all depends on the poll, the wording of the poll, and where it's being conducted.

If you equate "gun control" with confiscation then yeah your understanding of the polls is probably correct. If you understand gun control as better background checks and the removal of loop holes then the 80+% is correct.