Ongoing Mass Shooting Thread #3... that's right, a third thread. Because 'Murica.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The murders by police in Miami are more proof that the gun control conversation has to start with disarming the police.
I don't know what thread is the right one to talk about this incident, but holy shit, I just found out about this. How can something like this happen? There has to be repercussions for this... There has to be.

I don't know what thread is the right one to talk about this incident, but holy shit, I just found out about this. How can something like this happen? There has to be repercussions for this... There has to be.

After the incident had confirmed that four were dead, the Miramar police (who basically used human shields) had the audacity to post this on Twitter:

Update: We can confirm we do NOT have any law enforcement fatalities

They’ve since then deleted the tweet but I recall seeing it live. Its apparent that many police organizations think their lives are more valuable.

A shootout in Jersey City has left four people dead, including one police officer, after two gunmen fired on authorities on Tuesday afternoon, the city’s police chief said.

After an hours-long standoff, which eventually ended at a convenience store, the two suspects were killed, said Jersey City Police Chief Michael Kelly. Three other people, believed to be bystanders, were also among the dead, Kelly said.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2019/12/10/jersey-city-shooting-officer-shot-schools-lockdown/

i used to live about 2 miles from where this took place today. unbelievable how heavily armed civilians are allowed to be, and a reminder of the very real dangers police officers face on a daily basis (the officer was shot through the head) and the fact that the vast majority do their job to the best of their abilities in what can be utterly unreal circumstance amongst a population that is allowed to arm itself to the teeth by politicians paid off by a gun lobby that makes money off mass death like this.

Parkland shooting two years ago today. On Valentine's Day.

The survivors still working for, and waiting for, meaningful change. Meanwhile sellout politicians do nothing.

Parkland shooting two years ago today. On Valentine's Day.

The survivors still working for, and waiting for, meaningful change. Meanwhile sellout politicians do nothing.

I'm currently watching a documentary that recently aired on the Investigation Discovery channel, called In Memoriam. It covers three of the recent mass shootings in this country, Parkland being one of them. The others they cover are the shootings at the concert in Las Vegas and the church in Sutherland Springs, Texas. They interview survivors and rescuers from all three tragedies throughout.

I didn't realize just how big the distance was between the hotel where the shooter in the Vegas shooting was and the area where the concert was being held. It makes the fact he was able to take out so many people from that distance that much more horrifying.

One of the survivors of the Texas shooting also said that guns being in a church didn't faze her, because they actually would have a gun and bullets up on the pulpit during sermons, and would do Biblical lessons based around guns and their power. I mean...

There's also cell phone footage from the perspective of those who were running and hiding in the Parkland and Las Vegas shootings. You can hear the continuous gunshots and the screams and see a few people dropping. It's incredibly disturbing. But if I could, I'd require every last person in this country watch this documentary. And I would love to strap every single politician to a chair and make them watch it as many times as needed in order for the message to get through. 'Cause if somebody watches this documentary and still thinks nothing needs to change regarding our gun laws, I have to believe there is something deeply, deeply wrong with them as a person. Their humanity is missing, or something.

this is horrifying, and should not go unnoticed:

‘Right-Wing Extremist’ Kills 9 in Attack on German Bars

A gunman motivated by far-right extremism killed nine people in two attacks on shisha bars Wednesday in Hanau, a German city of 95,000.

Police have not confirmed the shooter’s identity, but German media has reported that 43-year-old Tobias Rathjen opened fire on the bars, before going home and killing his mother and himself.

“It is still too early for a final evaluation,” German chancellor Angela Merkel said Thursday. “But at present there is much evidence that the perpetrator acted out of right-wing extremist, racist motives. Out of hatred against people of other origins, other beliefs or other outward appearances. Racism is a poison, hatred is a poison.”

The gunman began his rampage at the Midnight bar in the center of Hanau. He then drove roughly a mile and a half to the Arena Bar & Cafe and killed more people. Both bars are popular with young Kurdish and Turkish people in Hanau.

Federal prosecutor Peter Frank said at a press conference that all of the victims are of a “migrant background” and Turkey’s ambassador to Berlin has said that five of them were Turkish citizens.

Police launched a manhunt to find the killer after the attacks and tracked Rathjen to his home, where they found the suspect and his mother dead. They also found evidence of his right-wing extremism. “On the home page of the suspected attacker were posted video messages and a sort of manifesto that, in addition to confused thoughts and abstruse conspiracy theories, displayed deeply racist convictions,” Frank said.

It’s sad but it’s probably for the better that it gets shrugged off.

Not because it’s not a big deal, but because I get the striking suspicion that this mass-casualty suicide by public rampage sort of thing inspires others to do the same when they see how much attention it gets them.

One of many defenses to these incidents is to not give them the limelight. And... of course... don’t let them have tools to do such atrocities. Alas, these are equally hard ventures.

I know this is long but I thought it was worth posting

HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) — Gun rights supporters are suing Connecticut officials over part of a 2013 state gun control law passed after the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting, saying it unconstitutionally bans people from loading more than 10 rounds of ammunition into their firearms.

The lawsuit filed Tuesday in U.S. District Court cites the Second Amendment right to bear arms and the ability of people to better defend themselves with more bullets in their guns.

“Law abiding gun owners in Connecticut are left more susceptible to harm or death by being limited in their means of self-defense,” Holly Sullivan, president of the Connecticut Citizens Defense League, said in a written statement. “Criminals who are intent on doing harm will not follow this same law.”

The defense league, the Second Amendment Foundation and two Connecticut gun owners filed the lawsuit against Public Safety Commissioner James Rovella, state police Col. Stavros Mellekas and Chief State’s Attorney Richard Colangelo Jr., none of whom were in their current jobs when the gun control law was passed.

“This is a legal process, in which they were named as a result of their current position,” said Brian Foley, a top aide to Rovella, who oversees state police. “We will work through this important process, unfortunately we cannot comment further.”

The U.S. Supreme Court has held that states can regulate firearms to protect public safety, said state Attorney General William Tong, whose office will defend state officials and the gun law.

“Commonsense gun violence prevention measures are clearly constitutional,” Tong said in a written statement. “Reasonable limits on high capacity magazines save lives. The vast majority of the American people support — and demand — these basic public safety measures.”

State officials passed some of the strictest gun control laws in the country after a gunman used an AR-15-style rifle to kill 20 young children and six educators at Sandy Hook in Newtown on Dec. 14, 2012.

The laws included a ban on ammunition magazines that hold more than 10 bullets. People who owned “large capacity” magazines that hold more than 10 rounds of ammunition before the law took effect were required to notify the state Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection and were allowed to keep them, but are prohibited from putting more than 10 rounds in them.

Gun control supporters say the law can save lives by limiting how many bullets a shooter can fire before having to reload. It was approved by former Gov. Dannel Malloy, a Democrat, and the Democratic-controlled legislature.

But gun rights supporters say that magazines that hold more than 10 rounds are considered standard and that many firearms are not available with magazines that hold fewer than 10 rounds.

“This law does nothing more than penalize law-abiding citizens while criminalizing components of handguns they own that were previously legal,” said Allan Gottlieb, founder and executive vice president of the Second Amendment Foundation, based in Bellevue, Washington.

The two gun owners suing the state are Susan Ross, of East Haddam, and Domenic Basile, of Watertown, who both own handguns with magazines designed to hold more than 10 rounds.

“A person with 15 rounds of ammunition available will be better able to defend himself or herself from a criminal gang, or from a drug-crazed criminal who continues attacking even after being shot, than a person who has only 10 rounds of ammunition available before they must reload their gun,” the lawsuit says.

Po Murray, chairwoman of the Newtown Action Alliance, said the lawsuit should be dismissed in the interest of public safety and public health. The alliance was formed to prevent gun violence after the Sandy Hook shooting.

“Assault weapons and high capacity magazines are the weapons of choice for mass shooters,” she said. “The U.S. Constitution must protect the lives of innocent children and adults in schools not the gun lobby’s pursuit of profits selling weapons of war designed to efficiently kill maximum number of people.”

That’s great and all but legislation like that does literally nothing.

Only allowed one gun purchase per 30 days? Societally great in that it limits the flow of guns. But it only takes one gun to shoot somebody.

“Expanded background checks” is such a catch phrase for gun control. Stupid shit like “no selling guns to someone on a no fly list” is like stopping sales to five people out of ten million. Great. Piece of mind. Not very impactful.

You can argue that these measures are baby steps but really they’re not. They’re just holding the line against the right. When a republican gets in power, they get undone.

NS is where i grew up and where almost all my family still is and most of my old friends too. this took place in a small town well away from anyone i know but i'm still broken hearted that this kind of violence has taken place there. these kind of things always happened "somewhere else"...i hope this doesn't cause the people i love to feel unsafe. fuck.

I’ve visited NS several times, as I have a cousin up there. Really loved the area; certainly not a place where you’d think a rampage would take place, but I guess that’s anywhere now in this day and age.

Beautiful part of our country and very sad for the people there especially but the country as a whole too. Hard to process while already living in extraordinary times.

Just brutal. And the guy who did it was a dentist? I know it doesn't matter and anyone can do such a thing but that's unusual. He murdered a female officer in the RCMP, she had a husband and children. I believe I read she was a 23 year officer, I guess Canada doesn't call them officers. I apologize for not knowing.

I've never been to Nova Scotia, have always wanted to see it.

NS is where i grew up and where almost all my family still is and most of my old friends too. this took place in a small town well away from anyone i know but i'm still broken hearted that this kind of violence has taken place there. these kind of things always happened "somewhere else"...i hope this doesn't cause the people i love to feel unsafe. fuck.

:(

Strength to you, and the people you love.
Condolences to NS, and the whole of Canada. ❤️

Last edited:
The Canadian federal government has banned assault weapons and is instituting a 2-year buyback program.

Back
Top Bottom