Old 06-15-2010, 09:12 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 04:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
New Book: 'God Is Not One' by Stephen Prothero

I would agree with this premise.

But, as a believer, I'd further suggest that really, we're all just guessing anyway and as a result, I don't think there's any reason why we can't coexist. Believing that I've got the right idea about something doesn't mean I can't get along with and respect those who hold a different view.

This idea that if I believe I'm right about something I'm somehow automatically offending or disrespecting everyone who sees things differently is just silly.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:33 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 09:34 AM
What Sean said.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:35 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 03:34 AM
My sentiments exactly, maycocksean. Theorizing is fine and all, but more people really could use that kind of a reminder.

That's utterly hilarious about the adult store sign! Wonder what kind of message God's trying to send with that ?

Angela
Old 06-16-2010, 12:42 AM   #21
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by maycocksean View Post
I would agree with this premise.

But, as a believer, I'd further suggest that really, we're all just guessing anyway and as a result, I don't think there's any reason why we can't coexist. Believing that I've got the right idea about something doesn't mean I can't get along with and respect those who hold a different view.

This idea that if I believe I'm right about something I'm somehow automatically offending or disrespecting everyone who sees things differently is just silly.
Do you mean that we can coexist because since we are just guessing that each perspective has the same truth value? or just that we should treat others with different opinions with respect?
Old 06-16-2010, 10:08 AM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl View Post
Maybe its just a freaky coincidence
Never in FYM
Old 06-16-2010, 12:28 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AttnKleinkind View Post
Do you mean that we can coexist because since we are just guessing that each perspective has the same truth value? or just that we should treat others with different opinions with respect?
For me, it's the latter. The question is whether we can agree to disagree but still protect each other's dignity.
Old 06-16-2010, 03:00 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Stephen (Colbert) v. Stephen (Prothero) on Religious Truthiness – Religion - CNN.com Blogs
Old 06-16-2010, 05:40 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:34 AM
Good news!!!!

Christians were right, he came back!

more news

Hindus were right - about reincarnation

YouTube - Jesus lizard
Old 06-16-2010, 07:35 PM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:34 PM
"From so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved."

This is the most elegant explanation.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:36 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by AttnKleinkind View Post
What I mean is that I what I believe to be true and how that Truth is in reality are probably quite far apart. That's the biggness of God. I believe, for example that God is Love, but I doubt if I'm even close to comprehending exactly what that means and how it manifests itself in Reality. In light of that, it's a little absurd for me to find myself unable to coexist with others who have a different conception of God (or none at all) when all I can bring to the table is what I can see through the glass darkly.

However, that does NOT mean that I'm unable to believe that those who say, for example that God is the Universe, or that God is Nothing, or God is Unknowable, are mistaken and that my conception of God, as muddled as it may be, is closer to Reality.

Coexisting means that you think I'm wrong, but you don't need to kill me over it (or any other way deny our common humanity).
Old 06-17-2010, 11:39 PM   #28
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
New Book: 'God Is Not One' by Stephen Prothero

Christians regard sin as the problem and see salvation as the solution.
Muslims define the problem as pride that can only be conquered by submission.
Buddhists seek to overcome suffering while Christians regard suffering as ennobling, which is why Christians aren't trying to achieve nirvana.
Buddhists, unlike Christians, aren't looking for salvation since they

And there's more.

Jews believe in one God, Buddhists believe in no God, Hindus believe in many gods.
Christ is regarded as a God among Christians, whereas for Muslims, Muhammad is very much a man who achieved perfection as a prophet, political leader, military general and family patriarch.
And when it comes to the diversity in denominations among the world's religions, Christianity is king.

Got all that?

Prothero ranks the world's religions (he limits them to eight) in terms of impact.
Yes, Christianity is still the largest, and annual sales of the New Testament in the United States alone total $500 million, but Islam is growing faster, and Prothero makes the case that Muhammad ranks higher than Christ in overall importance.

One thing is for certain: In modern times, Islam is in the news far more often. Just ask the creators of "South Park," who were recently threatened by Islamic extremists.
With all the lunacy about death threats to British novelists, Danish cartoonists and now American animators, Prothero explains why Muslims simply won't tolerate any mocking of Muhammad — especially in a visual form.
For Christians, the body of Christ as God incarnate has a long history in representational art, but in the 1,400-plus years of Islam as a religion and culture, art has been limited to calligraphy and the Arabic letters of the Koran.

Book review: 'God Is Not One' by Stephen Prothero - Los Angeles Times

Book review: 'God Is Not One,' by Stephen Prothero Wa Post

I'll have to read the book first...but, how can " Prothero makes the case that Muhammed ranks higher than Christ in overall importance." ?????????

If I was a betting man (and I am) I would pick Jesus over Muhammed (I thought it was Mohammed) in every possible way...in fact I find it hard to believe that most thinking people, if given the choice, wouldn't pick Jesus. If you want to take it down to the simplest childlike level Jesus was a much nicer guy!!!
Old 06-18-2010, 12:21 AM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Vest View Post
I'll have to read the book first...but, how can " Prothero makes the case that Muhammed ranks higher than Christ in overall importance." ?????????
Good question, I did the "check inside the book" on Amazon.com and found it to say "Copyright 2010 by Stephen Prothero."

2010 [i]Anno Domini[/b] that is.