Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2006, 06:07 PM   #61
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:59 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

Why bother responding like that? I asked a serious question. If you didn't want to answer, don't bother posting.
I responded to your question, maybe you didn't like my response, but I responded. You asked the the question of defining, so I just thought since you brought it up, maybe you should be the one to define the parameters since you haven't liked the ones set before. No need to get snippy with me...

Old 07-30-2006, 01:50 AM   #62
Refugee

Location: The city of blinding lights and amazing coffee - Melbourne.
Local Time: 08:59 AM
It is very strange to see this very uptight view a lot of people have to breastfeeding in public in the states considering all the other stuff that goes on. It frightens me a bit to have men AND WOMEN think that a boob is a sexual plaything and therefore its like a sexual or innappropriate act to d in public.

My best friend is breastfeeding atm, and she does it in public "whipping" it out for her little boy who is hungry all the time! hahaha The only time she feels uncomfortable is when 14 yr old boys try to catch a glimpse of boob for later wank material. Its just silly, but I think hiding boobs away is even worse because then its like you're accepting other peoples warp sexual fantasies/tendancies.

Its good to see so many supporters in this thread though

Old 07-30-2006, 10:28 AM   #63
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:59 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by WildHoneyAlways

This company seems to do pretty well seeing breasts as a sex symbol. Where are the threads protesting them?

Great point

Victoria's Secret is displaying breasts as the object of sexual thoughts and gratification for men-yes they are selling the lingerie to women, but who is watching the Victoria's Secret show on TV? Yes I'm sure plenty of women do watch it, but let's get real about how VS markets. Breasts displayed in that way are great, but not as the source of food for a baby. Because as we know the world revolves around men and their sexual desires and gratification . It's the good ole Madonna/whore thing, not that I define breasts displayed in a sexy fashion as being "whorish", I don't. I like them to be also be displayed in a respectful, classy, and tasteful way- that's just my preference.

It's like the thread I started once about the New England Patriots having cheerleaders breasts hanging out, yet some people had an issue with women breastfeeding in the stands and thought they should have to do it in a restroom. It's a ridiculous blatant double standard.

Quote:
One mother who didn't like the cover explains she was concerned about her 13-year-old son seeing it.

"I shredded it," said Gayle Ash, of Belton, Texas, in a telephone interview. "A breast is a breast — it's a sexual thing. He didn't need to see that."
I really feel sorry for this 13 year old boy, that his mother apparently intends to teach him that breasts exist solely as a sexual object for his pleasure. It's so disappointing that some women would raise their sons in that sexist way. Maybe the women who view breasts as being solely sex related are reinforcing the feelings that their husbands have, after all breasts aren't really where all and the optimum sexual pleasure is for women. Not that they are for men either but comparitively speaking.. If women want to breastfeed in private that is their decision and I completely respect that, but I cant respect the view that it should be private because breasts exist for sexual pleasure and for the sexual and visual pleasure of men. And implied is that men somehow can't control themselves when they see a breast in public, especially for the purposes of feeding a baby. I would think men would be rather outraged, that notion doesn't exactly portray them in the best light. Or maybe the ones who have those views about women and their breasts just wouldn't care because it's just reinforcing their attitudes and behavior So is that most men and thus the reason for the lack of outrage?

I believe God also made breasts as part of the beauty of women, and to feed babies. To reduce them to sexual objects disrespects that, not that God didn't intend for men and women to have sexual pleasure too. But at the same time it is demeaning God and males and females to have certain attitudes about women, men, breasts, and breastfeeding. I don't get it.

Men shirtless in public is acceptable, even though they don't have to breastfeed.

Saggy man boobs displayed in public even though men don't have to breastfeed = still acceptable.

Women breastfeeding discreetly in public is just so wrong, because men's chests and some men's saggy man boobs don't drive women wild sexually and don't exist solely as objects of sexual desire and gratification for women. Is that it?
Old 07-30-2006, 11:14 AM   #64
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:59 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

I responded to your question, maybe you didn't like my response, but I responded. You asked the the question of defining, so I just thought since you brought it up, maybe you should be the one to define the parameters since you haven't liked the ones set before. No need to get snippy with me...
I had defined the parameters just a couple of posts earlier. Perhaps you didn't catch that part. Its old news. No need to get defensive.
Old 07-30-2006, 11:48 AM   #65
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:59 PM
It disgusts me no end that some women think that breasts are sexual objects. That woman who didn't want her son to see the breasts is really hurting her child. And you're very right about Victoria's Secret's marketing methods.
Old 07-30-2006, 11:53 AM   #66
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:59 AM
But the simple fact is by both cultural conditioning and evolution breasts are sexual, not exclusively so but definitely to serve a purpose in sexual attraction.

Perhaps the problem lies more in the prudish attitude towards sex than the sexualisation of breasts by society.
Old 07-30-2006, 12:07 PM   #67
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
But the simple fact is by both cultural conditioning and evolution breasts are sexual, not exclusively so but definitely to serve a purpose in sexual attraction.

Perhaps the problem lies more in the prudish attitude towards sex than the sexualisation of breasts by society.
I would say it's both equally. Peope think breasts are sex objects, therefore there's something "unclean" about them because of their connection with sex. This connection between breasts and sexuality are what's causing the problem with public breastfeeding.
Old 07-30-2006, 12:15 PM   #68
ONE
love, blood, life

Peoples problem with sexuality is what causes the problem, in a more open society this physiological function would be a non-issue.
Old 07-30-2006, 12:34 PM   #69
Refugee

Most nursing mothers are pretty low-key when they feeding their children. Hey, a kid has got to eat.

However, I do think some "lactavists" go to far and are often horrible to mothers who do not breast feed their children for whatever reason. My friend Maria really wanted to breast feed her daughter but couldn't produce enough milk. The lambasting she got from some people was horrible. You would have thought she was feeding her daughter crack with a heroin chaser. For the record, her daughter is a healthy, smart, and thriving eight year old.
Old 07-30-2006, 02:11 PM   #70
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:59 PM
Quote:
Peoples problem with sexuality is what causes the problem, in a more open society this physiological function would be a non-issue.
a nursing mother is not sexual

only to some viewers, with issues
and therein lies their problem
Old 07-30-2006, 02:27 PM   #71
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by deep

Exactly.
Old 07-30-2006, 05:49 PM   #72
Blue Crack Addict

A breast is a breast, it's a sexual thing

Old 07-30-2006, 05:59 PM   #73
Blue Crack Addict

Just my two cents (I'm a woman and I've never had a baby, but the babies I take care of I feed their mother's breast milk):

I don't like the idea of thinking of breast as exclusively baby-feeding vessels. I think that breasts can be sexual (in terms of admiration of the female body, not exploitation) and also are necessary for feeding babies. I don't think they have to be entirely one or the other.

I don't have a problem with women breast feeding in public. I don't think I'd ever do it, but that's not the point. The point is, like many others have said, breast feeding is no comparison to other acts unacceptable in public like urinating, etc.
Old 07-30-2006, 08:24 PM   #74
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by deep

No it isn't. but the opposition to it is based on peoples attitudes towards sex, I don't think that anybody is making the argument that nursing a baby is wrong.
Old 07-30-2006, 09:31 PM   #75
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 10:59 PM
Quote:
I wonder what you have in mind by "open society"? Because like maycocksean and sula, I've also traveled in areas (tribal regions of India in this case) where not only is breastfeeding in public universally accepted, but also women in some phases of life commonly go about topless whether they're nursing or not. But I would not be inclined to therefore broadly characterize these societies as "open"--they can be and often are extremely patriarchal and oppressive to women in other ways. Also I remember sula saying, in another nursing-in-public thread a long while back, that just because breasts are readily accepted as "baby food sources" by a given society doesn't mean they're not also sexualized at the same time, and I think that's true too.

My impression, and it's just an impression, is that the psychological reaction which leads to finding nursing in public offensive, at least for men, generally works something like this: You see a woman nursing her baby in public, reflexively make the association of "What if that were my wife?", defensively think "I sure wouldn't want a bunch of other men staring at my wife's breasts" and that's what drives the sense of offensiveness. (As opposed to Victoria's Secret, where the whole idea of the woman possibly being someone else's wife or partner is wholly absent from both the presentation and the reception of the fantasy "scenario".) Similarly, women who find nursing in public uncomfortable, I think often do for the reason dazzlingamy described: they're uncomfortable with the possibility of some men or boys seeing it as "later wank material," even though the same women might think nothing of wearing a shirt or bikini that effectively exposes just as much on other occasions. In the big picture both reactions are a bit irrational and silly IMO, but in a culture where breasts just do have the dual connotation of sex and nurturance, there are always going to be people who have difficulty reconciling the two, or distinguishing between them based on context, and at some point you just have to shrug that off, say "Well that's their problem" and just go with what nature intended.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote