Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2013, 11:15 AM   #61
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 12:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEON View Post

The problem with the question, (and he asked the same question about whether I knew gay people), is that when it is answered - it is automatically cliche ("some of my best friend are [fill in blank]"). Either that, or you're attacked for not befriending a person of that group. It's a trap.
I honestly don't think that was Irvine's intention. I don't think your knowing or not knowing American Muslims makes a difference, but they were brought up because you seem to be ignoring their existence when you make a statement like "Islam and theocracy are one and the same."

Old 08-22-2013, 11:21 AM   #62
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 11:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
I honestly don't think that was Irvine's intention. I don't think your knowing or not knowing American Muslims makes a difference, but they were brought up because you seem to be ignoring their existence when you make a statement like "Islam and theocracy are one and the same."
I know a former co-worker, she was Muslim - but not very active in her faith.

I also had a few Egyptian friends in my college days - they were not that active in their faith either.

The statement "Islam and theocracy are one and the same" - is based on the teachings of Islam. I thought the article I posted pointed that out.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:22 AM   #63
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:38 AM
Quote:
The problem with the question, (and he asked the same question about whether I knew gay people), is that when it is answered - it is automatically cliche ("some of my best friend are [fill in blank]"). Either that, or you're attacked for not befriending a person of that group. It's a trap.

ok.

find me a group of American Muslims who wish to restore the caliphate.

the wish for a theocracy is a response to economic crisis and uncertainty and cultural stasis brought about by colonial rule and then despotism more than anything else. things will be so much better once we get back to god. we're believers and we'll be rewarded for it.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:24 AM   #64
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
The statement "Islam and theocracy are one and the same" - is based on the teachings of Islam. I thought the article I posted pointed that out.

i hear a lot of "build Christ's Kingdom here on earth" from Christians.

does that mean they want a theocracy?
Old 08-22-2013, 11:34 AM   #65
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post

No.

Quote:
For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking, but of righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit, - Romans 14:17
Quote:
Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you - Luke 17:21
Old 08-22-2013, 12:07 PM   #66
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

I cannot stand this type of lazy pedestrian commentary. You and I both know that non-Christians(and even those that claim to be Christian) have all kind of false understandings of what is truly Biblical teaching of Christianity. You are that person to the Muslim faith, I know I've seen your sources over the years.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:10 PM   #67
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
No.

says you.

(you see how that works?)
Old 08-22-2013, 12:11 PM   #68
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:38 AM
Quote:

I was about to say something along those lines. I'm sure there are plenty of Christians who would want to see a theocracy, but that doesn't mean the Bible calls for it (We've discussed this before, and I'm sure the consensus was Christ's Kingdom is more of a mindset than an actual government).

Now I haven't read the Qu'ran so I can't say if Islam truly is about a theocracy. I've heard the suspicions that it does, which is of course fueled by the actions of fundamentalists. I've known Muslims who were moderate and even liberal, and I highly doubt they would want to see a caliphate. Now the extremists are another matter. How many of them really exist, we can't be totally sure.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:42 PM   #69
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
I cannot stand this type of lazy pedestrian commentary. You and I both know that non-Christians(and even those that claim to be Christian) have all kind of false understandings of what is truly Biblical teaching of Christianity. You are that person to the Muslim faith, I know I've seen your sources over the years.
Why do you feel it is necessary to point out the perceived weakness in Christianity to defend Islam?

Simply look at the nations that are dominated by Islam - is that a place where you would want to live?
Old 08-22-2013, 01:07 PM   #70
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
says you.
No - says the Scripture I quoted.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:44 PM   #71
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Why do you feel it is necessary to point out the perceived weakness in Christianity to defend Islam?

Simply look at the nations that are dominated by Islam - is that a place where you would want to live?

so you think the issues faced by the Muslim world are created by Islam and not a history of colonialism, oil, and despots?

Quote:
No - says the Scripture I quoted.

you're interpreting wrong. i have a better hold on the truth than you do. my view is more in align with what Jesus really taught, and what i know God wants.

(you see?)
Old 08-22-2013, 02:56 PM   #72
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
so you think the issues faced by the Muslim world are created by Islam and not a history of colonialism, oil, and despots?
A combination of many factors - including Islam.

Quote:
you're interpreting wrong. i have a better hold on the truth than you do. my view is more in align with what Jesus really taught, and what i know God wants.
okay...well then perhaps you should take issue with the way people are interpreting Islam's holy books, because it is this interpretation which is killing innocent people and keeping many of these countries enslaved.
Old 08-22-2013, 03:03 PM   #73
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
A combination of many factors - including Islam.
do you blame the dark ages on christianity?

Quote:
okay...well then perhaps you should take issue with the way people are interpreting Islam's holy books, because it is this interpretation which is killing innocent people and keeping many of these countries enslaved.

i think i do. i've repeatedly mentioned the treatment of gays and especially women (51% of any population's brain power) in many Muslim countries.
Old 08-22-2013, 03:03 PM   #74
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
There you go again.

I am not defending Islam nor am I pointing out weaknesses. I feel like you're living in a heightened sense of victim-hood here. I'm just asking you to simply look at how badly some outsiders perceive Christianity and how often there are common misconceptions, or how often it can be warped by its "leaders". Can we agree on that? Now with that understanding are you going to tell me that you can without doubt tell me that the Muslim faith teaches that it has to be a theocracy? Really?

Quote:
And now you simply look at the age of the religion, the economic and educational backgrounds of these nations...
Old 08-22-2013, 03:13 PM   #75
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
do you blame the dark ages on christianity?
To a certain extent - at least in the way it (The Catholic Church) was applying the faith. I also give the Catholic Church credit for initiating the Enlightenment.

Quote:

i think i do. i've repeatedly mentioned the treatment of gays and especially women (51% of any population's brain power) in many Muslim countries.
Good. Those things should be called out.