Democratic National Convention Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think the final tally was around 84,000 people at Mile High Stadium. Wo.

If Barack takes the fall election, we are going to have a unique chance as a country- we'll be able to directly compare the results of an all Republican-dominated government with at least 2 years of an all Democratic-dominated government. The Republicans flopped. If Barack wins, all eyes are now on the Dems- Iraq, Universal Health Care, Minimum Wage, Global Warming- they'll be out of excuses to not carry out their plans.

pour yourself a cup of coffee and
keep reading

some of my most brilliant work is up ahead.

Somehow I don't think so :shrug:

And I don't drink coffee :wink:

I had Larry King on for a few minutes post-speech, and couldn't stand everyone talking over each other or Larry seemingly lost in thought. Nor could I listen to the right spouting off how bad the speech was or how it was lacking this or that. WTF?

I don't need anyone to try to defend the right's position or thought :rolleyes: process. I just don't understand how you can want 4 more years of the same bullshit :banghead: It's a rhetorical question, so please don't try to answer it.
tmi.gif

<<<
runaway.gif

If Barack takes the fall election, we are going to have a unique chance as a country- we'll be able to directly compare the results of an all Republican-dominated government with at least 2 years of an all Democratic-dominated government. The Republicans flopped. If Barack wins, all eyes are now on the Dems- Iraq, Universal Health Care, Minimum Wage, Global Warming- they'll be out of excuses to not carry out their plans.

But you do realize it will take more than 2 years to even begin to try & clean up the mess that we are in now, don't you? If only politicians could refrain from campaigning for half of their presidency (this campaigning goes on far too long).

Deep - still undecided. Really? :shrug:

I know many people are 99 % for Obama

or 99% for McCain

there are some of us that hovering around the 50 % mark

I am back to undecided

they say this Dem convention move the polls 6 points

I have only ever been about 54-55 % sure at any point in time

But you do realize it will take more than 2 years to even begin to try & clean up the mess that we are in now, don't you? If only politicians could refrain from campaigning for half of their presidency (this campaigning goes on far too long).

With 2 years to play with and a Democratic controlled House, Senate, and President, Dems should be capable of *beginning* to execute their plan. Pass a Universal Health Care bill. Start an aggressive renewable energy policy.

*Something* on the checklist should be finished by 2010. If they can't do anything by then with all that then the Democrats really cannot govern.

Actually you can already make the comparison. The last time the Democrats controlled everything was from January 1993 to January 1995. It led to Republican control of the house in 1995 for the first time in 40 years.

I consider myself a Democrat because even the crappy Dems come closer to what I want than the best Republicans, but I have to admit that over the past 30 or so years the Democrats have been one of the most incompetent groups I have seen in my life. They have the rare ability to fuck up damn near every opportunity they have to actually do anything of value. :grumpy:

Even if Obama gets in, I'm not expecting much.

Actually you can already make the comparison. The last time the Democrats controlled everything was from January 1993 to January 1995. It led to Republican control of the house in 1995 for the first time in 40 years.

True, and I remember that all too well. :sigh:

Maybe it's more that politicians can't get things done, not so much one party vs. the other. If one party controls one house & another controls the other = stalemate :shrug: What can you expect when the country is pretty equally divided :shrug: :reject:

I think Obama is smart enough to surround himself with competent people, and less "croni-ism" than McCain & the Republican party.

Maybe it's more that politicians can't get things done, not so much one party vs. the other. If one party controls one house & another controls the other = stalemate :shrug:

Sadly the Dems haven't shown the ability to get much worthwhile done even with a Democratic president and control of both the House and Senate.

And don't forget that Obama is a politician.

No, you misunderstand. I'm talking about a relatively direct transfer of power from one party controlling all branches to the opposing one. If Barack wins, that'll happen in barely over 2 years- from late 2006 to early 2009. It'll be very easy for Americans to get a practical grasp of each party's unrestricted vision, something usually obscured by divided government.

it was a good choice... city of blinding lights just works as in intro song. but whoever chose the exit songs for obama should be fired... first the country song, really... is he the republican candidate? then the orchestra music... for a while i thought the death star was going to appear over the stadium.

it was a good choice... city of blinding lights just works as in intro song. but whoever chose the exit songs for obama should be fired... first the country song, really... is he the republican candidate? then the orchestra music... for a while i thought the death star was going to appear over the stadium.

:lol:

It reminded me too much of the end of the remake of The Manchurian Candidate:uhoh:

I can't imagine how the secret service was feeling during the fireworks.

Overall it was a great night for Democrats, the Republicans have been flustered in their response, it was a great way to kick off this election season :up:

Talk to him personally about deep moral issues he hedges, hems and haws- he's very uncomfortable.

<>

honestly, i think he's very thoughtful, and has trouble distilling nuance into soundbytes.

yes, that's my biased view, but i think it's correct. say what you will about Obama, you cannot say he isn't thoughtful. and like many people who write better than the speak, not that he speaks poorly, but giving him the space to think and digest and to write down his thoughts and make them clear and then deliver them via speech is where he is at his best.

he's always been called professorial.

The GOP is calling the speech all hype and no substance. :rolleyes:

I'm so sick of this back and forth bashing! :down:
And we're only in August. :hi5:

Relatedly: I know some people around here were mocking the Republican -> Democrat switchover, but I actually witnessed it last night. My mom wants to change parties. (Okay, it's not solely based on Obama or his speeches, and she did vote Kerry last time around, but she's finally declared that she's fed up with the Republican party is going to try and convince her Republican friends - and quite frankly, all her friends are Republican - to vote for Obama this time around.)

Back
Top Bottom