Democratic National Convention Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd say Mario Cuomo, and Jesse Jackson both gave much better key note speeches at DNC in 84 and 92 than Obama did in 2004.

And yes I think Obama was good in 2004.

Warner was uneventful this year.

And Clinton did not impress me in 1988. :shrug:

It was a lovely tribute.

John Legend is kind of hot.

And the better man lost in 2000 and 2004. I thought yesterday while I watched Clinton, Jesus we went from this to W? What a fucking nightmare. (And no, deep, I don't equate W with O thank you very much)

John McCain just had a nice commercial congratulating Obama for receiving the nomination and said something about him receiving it on this historic day. :up:

I guess he didn't think the day was so historic when he voted against the MLK day?

I saw the ad too.

It was a lovely tribute.

John Legend is kind of hot.

And the better man lost in 2000 and 2004. I thought yesterday while I watched Clinton, Jesus we went from this to W? What a fucking nightmare. (And no, deep, I don't equate W with O thank you very much)

Luckily I caught Clinton's replay of the speech later in the evening. Missed it live :mad: And I agree. BC to GWB? WTF? The dumbing down of America :|

I caught the end of Legend/will.i.am's performance. Saw Russert Jr. interview will.i.am, I think on MSNBC. On CNN now, they are showing Kaine giving a speech. I have no idea of the schedule for today's events...

And about the McCain commercial, which I've yet to see... In regards to what anitram said, didn't he veto/vote no on MLK day about 19 times? :doh:

Last edited:
John McCain just had a nice commercial congratulating Obama for receiving the nomination and said something about him receiving it on this historic day. :up:

I just saw it.
and he said, "we'll be back at it tomorrow, but for tonight, job well done." or something like that.
That was a brilliant strategy. And he probably meant it.

Speaking of music, when Gore came onstage to "Let The Sunshine In" I thought, hmmm, does that choice have anything to do with solar power? And then in his speech Gore makes a reference to solar power!

Otherwise, his speech is kind of boring me. I guess I've been spoiled by all the other amazing speakers.

And about the McCain commercial, which I've yet to see... In regards to what anitram said, didn't he veto/vote no on MLK day about 19 times? :doh:

19 times ?

"I was in prison when they announced over the loudspeaker in my cell," McCain told reporters in Jacksonville, Fla. "I was living by myself, that Dr. Martin Luther King had been assassinated. They always told us the very bad news, but somehow avoided telling us minor events such as landing a man on the moon. I didn't find that out until a couple years after the event itself. I didn't know Dr. King. I was a member of the military. Obviously I admire him as all Americans do. But I did have the great honor of getting to know Congressman John Lewis. In fact, I've taken my children to meet him, because I think John Lewis epitomizes the struggle that continues to this day to achieve full equality in America. Congressman John Lewis is a role model to me in many respects."

The 1987 USA Today interview draws attention to an aspect of McCain's political history that Democrats will indubitably attempt to use against him this November: his views on race in the 1980s do not stand up to the sunlight of America a quarter-century later.

Most glaringly, McCain as a young congressman in 1983 voted against a federal holiday for Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

In December 1999 McCain told NBC's Tim Russert, "on the Martin Luther King issue, we all learn, OK? We all learn. I will admit to learning, and I hope that the people that I represent appreciate that, too. I voted in 1983 against the recognition of Martin Luther King….I regret that vote."

The holiday went into effect in 1986. Only 27 states and D.C. honored the holiday that first year. Activists in state after state tried to prevent it from being recognized.

In Arizona, a bill to recognize a holiday honoring MLK failed in the legislature.

n 1990, Arizonans were given an opportunity to vote to observe an MLK holiday. McCain successfully appealed to former President Ronald Reagan to support the holiday. In a letter to voters, Reagan wrote that he hoped Arizonans would "join me in supporting a holiday to commemorate these ideals to which Dr. King dedicated his life."

The 1990 referendum failed.

And as a direct result, the National Football League rescinded its original decision to have Super Bowl XXVII played in Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe, Arizona.

In November 1992, Arizonans voted to re-elect McCain over a challenge from Mecham. They also voted in favor of an MLK holiday.

But it wasn't until 2000 that all 50 states honored the MLK Holiday passed 17 years before.

In Arizona, a bill to recognize a holiday honoring MLK failed in the legislature.

n 1990, Arizonans were given an opportunity to vote to observe an MLK holiday. McCain successfully appealed to former President Ronald Reagan to support the holiday. In a letter to voters, Reagan wrote that he hoped Arizonans would "join me in supporting a holiday to commemorate these ideals to which Dr. King dedicated his life."

The 1990 referendum failed.

And as a direct result, the National Football League rescinded its original decision to have Super Bowl XXVII played in Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe, Arizona.

In November 1992, Arizonans voted to re-elect McCain over a challenge from Mecham. They also voted in favor of an MLK holiday.

But it wasn't until 2000 that all 50 states honored the MLK Holiday passed 17 years before.

So McCain was instrumental in changing public opinion in Arizona IN FAVOUR of recognising the holiday.

Clearly, we're dealing with a damnable no-good far right racist here.

Only Republicans are allowed to grow and learn. Democrats shall have to live down every mistake they make from birth to death.

No I think it is universal....left and right...same tactics...same shite...same ole same ole....

and that is the problem

Back
Top Bottom