Click Here to Login

Old 08-27-2008, 11:15 AM   #136
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 03:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post

HPo

Round 3 of MSNBC infighting came Tuesday night during coverage anchored by Chris Matthews and Keith Olbermann. After Joe Scarborough squabbled with Olbermann and Matthews — and then with David Shuster — this time it was the two anchors who revealed the tension within the MSNBC camp.

Discussing Hillary Clinton's upcoming speech, Matthews began talking about women 's reactions to Hillary. His producers, likely wary of any more cries of sexism against the host and the network, presumably tried to get him to wrap, as he said, "I'll wrap in a second, I'll wrap in a second."

Olbermann then tried to attribute Matthews' point about women voters to Rachel Maddow, to which Matthews said, "Good ideas can be shared."

Then, when introducing Steny Hoyer, Olbermann mocked Matthews for "[going] off at the mouth" and made a hand gesture implying that Matthews talked forever.

"You make that sound, Keith," Matthews said. "I can do the same to you. That's what I thought. And I said it."

In other MSNBC-related tension, Page Six reports that Keith Olbermann is trying to ban Tom Brokaw from the network over claims he's made about the fine line Olbermann and Matthews walk as anchor-commentators:

Insiders say Olbermann is pushing to have Brokaw banned from the network and is also refusing to have centrist Time magazine columnist Mike Murphy on his show.

"The idea of anyone trying to ban Tom Brokaw is ludicrous," said one MSNBC-er. Brokaw was on MSNBC for an hour yesterday afternoon. Murphy, who was bumped from Olbermann's show on Monday night, told us, "They told me technical problems and I have no reason not to believe them."

YouTube - Matthews
That network is imploding. Their ratings are abysmal. Nobody over there likes Olbermann, except maybe Maddow and the few select people ever on his show, yet he's running the whole thing, and can hire and fire people as he pleases.

Old 08-27-2008, 12:29 PM   #137
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2861U2 View Post

1) I just read an article on Drudge saying how some Clinton supporters are saying her speech didn't heal the wounds. And I just saw that 30% of Hillary supporters are going to vote for McCain or stay home. Thirty percent. That is unbelievable. That is a game changer, easy.
Almost as bad as "Hillary needs McCain to win for her 2012 plans" plan or the "I don't like the opposite party candidate but I won't vote for anyone" attitude people use in elections.

Old 08-27-2008, 12:47 PM   #138
War Child

"Yadda yadda yadda da da da yabba dabba do AND THAT IS WHY I LOVE THIS COUNTRY!!"

*CHEER LIKE IDIOTS*
Old 08-27-2008, 01:31 PM   #139
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2861U2 View Post
That network is imploding. Their ratings are abysmal. Nobody over there likes Olbermann, except maybe Maddow and the few select people ever on his show, yet he's running the whole thing, and can hire and fire people as he pleases.
Your feelings towards MSNBC are irrational. You have no idea who likes who, and neither do I, and the notion that Olbermann is 'running the whole thing' or that he can 'hire and fire people as he pleases' is absurd. And the network is not imploding at all.

You know, I can't stand O'Reilly or the Fox crew, but I don't waste my time actually following a site dedicated to smearing the guy at all costs(like you clearly do with olbermannwatch.com) waiting for a report on every little thing the guy does so that I can pounce on him. It's silly. You are reading irrational, sensationalistic garbage written by people who are clearly way over-the-top in their hatred of Olbermann and MSNBC and are more interested in painting him/it in a bad light by exaggerating every little thing to the point of absurdity than in actually delivering any accurate, constructive critique of a news network, and you are using that irrational, sensationalistic garbage to form and justify your equally irrational posts on the topic here.

Honestly, get over it.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:59 PM   #140
Blue Crack Addict

Um, moving on...

August 26, 2008, 5:13 pm
Conventions: On Opening Night, Democrats Draw at Least 22 Million
By Brian Stelter

Updated at 5:40 p.m.: At least 22 million television viewers watched the Democratic convention Monday night, when Michelle Obama spoke about her husband and her family, according to Nielsen Media Research.

Television ratings are often used to judge the amount of attention Americans are giving to the political conventions. The numbers for the first night suggest that slightly more viewers are watching this year than in 2004, when the first night of the Democratic convention drew an average of 18 million viewers to the three broadcasters and three cable networks.

Those six networks attracted 21 million on Monday. This year, Nielsen is including BET and TV One, two cable channels primarily for African Americans, in its estimates, because both channels are showing parts of the convention. Including those two channels, the Nielsen average audience is 22.3 million.

The ratings show viewers drifting toward cable news: CNN, Fox News Channel and MSNBC posted double-digit increases in audience over the 2004 convention, while the broadcast networks declined (with the exception of NBC, which benefited from a lead-in of 7.5 million viewers for “America’s Toughest Jobs”).

The broadcast networks NBC, ABC and CBS attracted an audience of 12 million, with NBC leading the pack with 4.7 million viewers. (”Deal or No Deal,” at 8 p.m. on NBC, averaged 11 million viewers.) In another sign of the increasing popularity of cable channels for news coverage, CNN attracted more viewers — 4.2 million — than ABC or CBS for the hour. ABC drew 4.17 million and CBS averaged 3.46 million at the same hour.

On cable news, the Fox News Channel had an average of 2.92 million viewers for the hour, while MSNBC averaged 2.1 million. CNN, usually the second place cable network behind Fox News, was also top-rated during the Democratic convention in 2004.

The combined audience was a few million shy of NBC’s prime time average during the Olympics this month. Including the audience on PBS, C-SPAN and other outlets, Mrs. Obama’s speech may have reached 25 million viewers, but ratings for the 10 p.m. hours of those networks were not available Monday afternoon. An untold, but likely smaller, number of viewers watched Webcasts on DemConvention.com, CNN.com and other sites.

PBS estimated that it averaged 2.8 million viewers for the duration of its coverage from 8 to 11 p.m. During the same time frame on cable news, Fox attracted 3.02 million, CNN averaged 3.7 million, and MSNBC drew 2.15 million.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:05 PM   #141
Blue Crack Addict

I love Rachel Maddow, I think she is a rare shining star.

Quote:
When Maddow was 19, two years after she came out of the closet, she watched with horror as Pat Buchanan took the podium at the 1992 Republican convention and called for a culture war against such liberal notions as "homosexual rights."

"I felt my country was declaring war on me," she says.

On Monday night, seated on a makeshift stage overlooking Denver's train station, Maddow recalled that experience on the air, turning to her left -- where Buchanan, her fellow MSNBC analyst, sat.
Pat Buchanan isn't good enough to hold her shit in a shovel, much less sit next to her.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:09 PM   #142
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:45 PM
Does anyone know what time President Clinton is speaking tonight? I know Joe Biden will likely have the same time slot as Hillary and Michelle Obama did.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:09 PM   #143
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post

Pat Buchanan isn't good enough to hold her shit in a shovel, much less sit next to her.

i remember that speech. it was terrifying. absolutely terrifying.

who knew that, 16 years later, i'd come to actually kind of enjoy good old Pat in all of his paranoid nativism. at least he's consistent.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:09 PM   #144
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post

Pat Buchanan is an MSNBC analyst? That's like telling me Bill Maher just got his own show on FOX News. Does anyone have a transcript of this speech? Even though I was only 4, I actually remember my mom and dad watching the Democratic Convention, the Clinton inauguration and all that. I highly doubt they would've ever watched the Republican one. Since both of them think Buchanan's a class A douchebag, I don't think either of them would know about it.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:27 PM   #145
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 09:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoVoxSupastar View Post
How did they possibly come up with the 30% number?
Most of the polling I've seen on that topic puts it around 20%. That works out to about 2.6% of the electorate--not enough to swing anything unless they were all concentrated in one or two swing states, which they aren't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
i remember that speech. it was terrifying. absolutely terrifying.

who knew that, 16 years later, i'd come to actually kind of enjoy good old Pat in all of his paranoid nativism. at least he's consistent.
He's always reminded me a bit of Sharpton in this way--one moment you see him ranting wildly and think "OK that does it, I'm permanently writing this guy off as terminally, dangerously out of touch with reality," then six months later you see him on some debating panel and think, "Damn, he's the only one here who's actually offering an internally coherent, logical argument."

But ultimately, not trustworthy.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 02:29 PM   #146
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2isthebest View Post
Even though I was only 4, I actually remember my mom and dad watching the Democratic Convention, the Clinton inauguration and all that
Jaysus do you have to post things like that?

I want you banned for that
Old 08-27-2008, 02:32 PM   #147
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Does anyone know what time President Clinton is speaking tonight? I know Joe Biden will likely have the same time slot as Hillary and Michelle Obama did.

Not sure but it will probably be at/around 9 ET, since Biden must be at/around/ after 10
Old 08-27-2008, 02:33 PM   #148
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Jaysus do you have to post things like that?

I want you banned for that
If it makes you feel any better, I started feeling really old the other night when my friends and I were talking about how we've been out of high school for 2 years.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:35 PM   #149
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Not sure but it will probably be at/around 9 ET, since Biden must be at/around/ after 10
Thanks! President Clinton is one of my favorite people, ever. I'm really interested to hear him speak, not only because he's a great orator, but because I want to hear how he'll come off in terms of supporting Obama.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:38 PM   #150
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
If it makes you feel any better, I started feeling really old the other night when my friends and I were talking about how we've been out of high school for 2 years.

it only gets worse.