Wiressless Mic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmorrone

Babyface
Can someone please tell me this model of microphone. I have heard before sure sm58 but I don't see one that is made with the antenna in back like this one has.

bono-vox.jpg

Thanks,
JM

It's a Shure SM58 Premier S2 radio mic. This has now been replaced by Shure UHF-R series and he now uses a B58 capsule instead of the SM58 capsule.

I think that's not entirely correct Aidan, as it's pretty clear that there is a blue ring around the wire mesh wind guard. The blue ring is unique to the Beta series mics afaik. If you look at any other Elevation, Vertigo or 360 tour pic, it's the same, a Beta 58 wireless. The models might be slightly different, but always Beta series.

From my understanding and from reports in various trade journals re: U2 recording sessions and touring equipment, Bono's been recording into wired Beta 58s since at least ATYCLB sessions, and touring with a wireless Beta 58 since at least the Elevation tour. I can't be bothered to check Pop but I'm fairly confident that for about 10 years now it's been all Beta 58s.

Not sure I agree that it's a B58 as the blue ring is fairly prominent but not in the picture. Also the shell is slightly different where the ring goes. Also this looks like it may be from the video shoot through the streets in NYC so the mic could have been supplied by another company not Clair Bros so would be just a Shure wireless was asked for. The wireless SM58 was used for Popmart as the B58 was not around then.

You might want to check your screen or so, I can clearly see a blue ring around it.

And it's no less prominent than these two, which are 100% Beta 58s:

bono1.jpg

23190570_131561b0c9.jpg

Your logic isn't sound, anyways, there's no way he asked for "just a Shure wireless"! Bono was singing through Beta 58s exclusively at that time, had one supplied to him for Live 8, a multi-artist show with many many different equipment requests. There is absolutely no reason to believe in a million years that Bono would accept a SM58 at his own video shoot and it flies in the face of all the facts that we know about what he was singing into at the time. It's a completely different sounding capsule and if his rider demands it at a multi artist event like Live8, you can bet it's a part of his regular road gear, no matter where he's performing (ESPECIALLY New York!!)

At any rate, the OP was assuming that it wasn't a 58 because of the antenna. The Beta 58s at that time definitely had that antenna.

Back
Top Bottom