Who likes U2 cover bands?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_acrobat

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Has anyone ever experienced watching a really good U2 cover band? I had that very thing happen to me last Friday, by accident. Me and two buddies were at the Easton Mall in our native Columbus. It's not so much a mall as it is a small town with nothing but stores, restaurants and hotels. But anyway, me and two childhood friends tried to go out and do something. But we haven't hung out in like a year or more, and we're all very different people. (this has a point).

I'm walking down the street and I hear drums. "Hm, must be a band playing up there." So we walk a little furthur, and my friend Bill says "Whoa shit! They're playing "In God's Country"! So we went up there and watched them finish the song. Then they went right into "Streets". I then realized it was in fact a coverband from Cleveland. Not sure of their name, though. So for two hours, my friends and I watched them play a wide ranging set of the band's career. They'd play anything, people were shouting out requests. God Part 2. Ultraviolet. Exit. Man, it made me really anxious to see U2 again. I mean, REALLY anxious. My two friends were my "U2 buddies" back in high school. So this of course, brought the whole night together and really made it great. The band was really good too. "Bono" was walking down the street during ISHFWILF, and even hopped on the hood of a car at the end of the song, like in the video. I hope it was his car! But then they played "Clocks". I like Coldplay, but talk about a mood-killer!! So we took off at that point. But the whole night, me and my friends finally found what we had in common, and even were making plans to travel to see the next tour. Now I really can't wait. ARGH!!!!

.....is it 2004 yet?

What's the problem with U2 cover bands then?

I play U2 songs on guitar and would love to be in a cover band!

Only two nights ago myself and my good lady went to see a U2 tribute band locally and they friggin' rocked. It put me on such a high and everyone in that place was was joining in swinging their pants, it was awesome. They went down a storm. As they walked onto the stage to the intro of Elevation there were whoops and cheers from the crowd before they even started because these guys did actually look like 'the boys'.

In my opinion, to hear U2 songs played live, at high volume by whoever is playing them, is fantastic.

It's all about enjoying and indulging in the most fantastic music the best band in the world can make.

If it makes people feel good, feel happy and forget what shite life's throwing at them just for a little while then BRING IT ON!!!

Love to your Lovelys ;->

I used to think the idea of a coverband was kind of silly, but then I actually saw one and was quite quite impressed.

Cover bands are NOT artists! Be impressed by the skill, ability, and musicianship. But remember they are not creating anything of their own. They also are the natural enemy of the ORIGINAL band, cause covers bands get better bookings because people are lazy and want to hear familiar songs, not new ones.

come on... cover bands are a celebration of a common love. we should change the conversation from "cover bands" to "tribute bands," because that's what most of the serious ones really are. they're not trying to play off the popularity of another band for their own success. it's a TRIBUTE to a group that has meant alot to them as musicians. this entire forum is a tribute to our love of U2. so why can't a bunch of musicians get together and play u2 songs as a tribute to their own love of u2's music?

as for the cover band vs. original band... bands that play original music get time if they deserve it. plenty of bars and clubs have "original" nights, where it's nothing but original artists. if they're good enough, have good tunes, they'll build up a following on their own. it's not a matter of familiar tunes vs. new tunes... it's a matter of good vs. not so good. i don't know about elsewhere in the nation, but polished bands who play nothing but original songs get plenty of play in local bars and clubs here in new york and long island.

Last edited:
MrBrau1 said:
Cover bands are NOT artists! Be impressed by the skill, ability, and musicianship. But remember they are not creating anything of their own. They also are the natural enemy of the ORIGINAL band, cause covers bands get better bookings because people are lazy and want to hear familiar songs, not new ones.

Couldn't agree more.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
come on... cover bands are a celebration of a common love. we should change the conversation from "cover bands" to "tribute bands," because that's what most of the serious ones really are. they're not trying to play off the popularity of another band for their own success. it's a TRIBUTE to a group that has meant alot to them as musicians. this entire forum is a tribute to our love of U2. so why can't a bunch of musicians get together and play u2 songs as a tribute to their own love of u2's music?

as for the cover band vs. original band... bands that play original music get time if they deserve it. plenty of bars and clubs have "original" nights, where it's nothing but original artists. if they're good enough, have good tunes, they'll build up a following on their own. it's not a matter of familiar tunes vs. new tunes... it's a matter of good vs. not so good. i don't know about elsewhere in the nation, but polished bands who play nothing but original songs get plenty of play in local bars and clubs here in new york and long island.

Eh, are you in the same NY I'm in? I'm not saying there is NO PLACE for original music to play, but it's fair common knowledge bar owners want bands who'll bring people, and cover bands do that. What's that place Mulchayes? in LI, check their listings, cover bands all the time. You get more opportunity in NYC, but it's either bring 50 people in at $7 a piece, or don't come back.

MrBrau1 said:

Eh, are you in the same NY I'm in? I'm not saying there is NO PLACE for original music to play, but it's fair common knowledge bar owners want bands who'll bring people, and cover bands do that. What's that place Mulchayes? in LI, check their listings, cover bands all the time. You get more opportunity in NYC, but it's either bring 50 people in at $7 a piece, or don't come back.

MULCAHYS!!! My old stomping grounds....when I was *sigh* younger...

Back
Top Bottom