How Can I Tune A 5 String Bass To U2 Songs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AdamsPoptart

The Fly
I play a 1987 Yamaha BB5000 bass guitar.I just don't know the settings...SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!It's a 5 stringer but i know how to make it like play ;like a 4 stringer.I want to get the setting before I take it in for repairs and get my DR strings put on.Thanks.

The musical conscious of the band.
A man who's insturment hold great power over woman folk.
The Poshious member of U2
Adam Clayton!:adam: :applaud:

Depends...

Some songs are tuned down a half step, others aren't.

So I'd suggest just playing it like a four sting with the different tunings.

Hello Adamspoptart,

I'd like to help but I'm really not sure what question it is that you're asking... the starting point is that Adam doesn't use a five string bass so the B string is totally redundant, impressions of Adam are best done on a 4 string bass IMO. Obviously you can play the parts on a 5 sting bass if you're so inclined, you don't have to play the B-string, you could use a 6 string bass as well if you liked but what would be the point? I have no idea what you mean by "setting". Do you mean key, i.e. by how much he detunes it from standard tuning? If so U2 usually detune their guitars by a semi-tone (i.e. to E flat), however on the last tour I noticed that they played some songs in standard E tuning and also one or two songs were detuned down as far as D ( for example I think they did Sunday using guitars tuned to D. It certainly wasn't played in the key of B minor anyway, G# minor rings a bell but I could be wrong). Which songs use which tuning is something that I fear someone else will have to tell you, it's easy enough to work out yourself though... If that's not what you're after please clarify. Thanks.

Regards

Mick

Back
Top Bottom