Bono's guitar question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mike

Babyface
What kind of guitar does Bono play on ZooTV?You know the black one.It looks like a washburn semi holow electric but then again it doesnt look like washburn made it.This is realy buging me.Please help me out here.Thanx in advance.
Peace
Mike
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I love you CarriemeU2
--this girl is so sexy,Im proud to be yours babe.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You always impress me with you knowledge, Mike.But Bono has you stumped! I hope someone replies to this. hehe I think you just want his guitar.

------------------
"One life with each other. Sisters,brothers..."

If you are referring to the electric that Bono used for the majority of the Zoo tours, that is a Gibson ES-175. He had a couple of them in black for the Zoo tours.

He had a red sparkle and blue sparkle one made with those custom finishes, for the PopMart tour.

He trashed the red sparkle one at the second night of the Elevation Oakland shows. He was having issues with the guitar during "I Will Follow". At the end of the song, he slammed it against the corner of the drum riser.

THIS is why if you see pictures of Bono playing an electric guitar between that Nov 2001 show and the remaining Elevation dates (ie: Vegas, St. Louis, Kansas City, Tampa, Miami) - he was using the black Gibson ES-175 again - because he'd broken the red and the blue must have not been on tour with him during the Elevation tour.

Edge_Orchestra said:
If you are referring to the electric that Bono used for the majority of the Zoo tours, that is a Gibson ES-175. He had a couple of them in black for the Zoo tours.

He had a red sparkle and blue sparkle one made with those custom finishes, for the PopMart tour.

He trashed the red sparkle one at the second night of the Elevation Oakland shows. He was having issues with the guitar during "I Will Follow". At the end of the song, he slammed it against the corner of the drum riser.

THIS is why if you see pictures of Bono playing an electric guitar between that Nov 2001 show and the remaining Elevation dates (ie: Vegas, St. Louis, Kansas City, Tampa, Miami) - he was using the black Gibson ES-175 again - because he'd broken the red and the blue must have not been on tour with him during the Elevation tour.

ABSOLOUTLY correct my friend!

I've got a feeling that the black ones were custom made for bono aswell as the sparkle ones.

Fact is that gibson only made a handful of black 175's over the years, and they are ofcourse very rare.

And we all know the sparkle ones are custom made. An interesting piece of info on these is that the toggle switch has been placed down near the volume and tone knobs. This is most likely due to the problems B had on Zoo TV with the black 175's and accidently knocking the toggle switch on to treble from rhythm (note the grey tape that bono has on the switch on the zoo video...)

hope that some of this was helpful/interesting!

(wow, a thread from 2000! such an oldie!)
much love!
chris

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom