Bono Guitar on New Year's Day?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bono: Fender Telecaster Custom. He used one during the Joshua Tree tour too. Not sure if this one is the same one, another of his or a loaner for the TOTP shoot.

Edge: "Blackie" before the brass bridge/saddles were put in.

Pretty much anyone can sign up to Wikipedia. They then could add any info they want. Perhaps the person that added the info did so based on this TOTP footage -- which is mimed.

After the solo... (at 3:00) there is piano and Edge is still 'playing' guitar, not piano. U2 didn't use sequencers before 1984. I'm pretty sure this 'performance' is mimed.

U2 - New Year's Day (TOTP 1983) - YouTube!

Thanks guys, that's what I thought. That's why I came here for verification, because I saw it on Wikipedia.

The TOTP performance is mimed. I think I heard somewhere that for a while TOTP didn't allow live music for whatever reason. Only the vocals could be live, if that.

What did Bono use a Tele on during the Joshua Tree tour?

Don't think so. It was the PR5E acoustic (or something really similar) pre JT tour, and his red 335 on the tour. Watch Rattle N Hum and also tour promo videos. eta: I found an exception on the Paris show..it looks to be the Tele, but I don't think that's the most commonly used guitar.

Don't think so. It was the PR5E acoustic (or something really similar) pre JT tour, and his red 335 on the tour. Watch Rattle N Hum and also tour promo videos. eta: I found an exception on the Paris show..it looks to be the Tele, but I don't think that's the most commonly used guitar.
As you edit noted, he did use it. I didn't say every time, I just know he definitely used the Tele at times on that song.

That is not a Fender Telecaster in the Paris 1987 performance of "In God's Country".

What he did play appears to be his custom-made Telecaster-style guitar made by Danvel / Nelson.

Danvel / Nelson being the same maker of the black strat-style guitar that Edge used on "Where The Streets Have No Name" (amongst a few others) on R&H.

Seems Bono did swap guitars around a bit. It doesn't seem that there was just one guitar for a particular song; used for the whole tour; swapped them as he saw fit.

U2 - In God's Country - Paris 1987 (deluxe edition) - YouTube

Back
Top Bottom