Adams and Larrys? Have you ever seen a good one?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MooMoo!

New Yorker
Ive seen a few tribute bands in my time, and pictures of others, but I VERY rarely see all 4 members REMOTELY resemble U2.

It goes like this:

Bono will be a carbon copy
Edge, pretty good. Beard, hat, true to his guitar choices etc.
Larry. Erm. Well he'll have short hair.
Adam...by the time we get to Adam theres nothing even remotely there to resemble the actual guy.

Ive seen an Adam with dreadlocks even. I know its not very likely that you're gonna get all 4 actually looking like the band, but some people dont even try you know? Why put in such effort with Bono and Edge if you arnt even gonna bother with the other 2, any further than just learning the songs?

Do you know any good Adams and Larrys? ARE you a good Adam or Larry? Share. :D

Ive seen a few tribute bands in my time, and pictures of others, but I VERY rarely see all 4 members REMOTELY resemble U2.

It goes like this:

Adam...by the time we get to Adam theres nothing even remotely there to resemble the actual guy.

Ive seen an Adam with dreadlocks even. I know its not very likely that you're gonna get all 4 actually looking like the band, but some people dont even try you know? Why put in such effort with Bono and Edge if you arnt even gonna bother with the other 2, any further than just learning the songs?

Do you know any good Adams and Larrys? ARE you a good Adam or Larry? Share. :D

When I saw Elevation Canada... they had the look down. Great band. Singer did Macphisto for the Zoo TV section. They opened with a Popmart sequence and their "Adam" was PopTart approved in dress, play, look and mannerisms.

Great band. Friendly cool folks.

I think it's a bit much to expect a tribute band to be of FOUR look-a-likes. As long as they get the music right, first and formost and extra points if the get the stage clothes and mannerisms down.

As a drummer in a U2 tribute band, I feel the need to reply ;)

At least I try to look like Larry. I took Zoo TV Larry as example, because that's where he has the most items to copy. The military look, the cap etc. It's easy to look like Bono with a hat and sunglasses. As Edge, just wear your nr& shirt and everyone will buy it. But the drummer? No gimmicks to copy...

This is so funny, and so Very, very ture!:applaud:

HELLO MY NAME IS PETER FROM SPAIN. I HAVE A BAND CALLED THE HYPE AND MY DRUMMER LOOKS A LITTLE LARRY, ALSO GOOD PLAYING.

YOU CAN SEE VIDEOS IN OUR MYSPACE

Google

and by the looks of the pictures on your myspace you don't even have a Bono.... what's up with that?

Hi everybody,

I'm an "Edge" in a U2 tribute band.
Of course everybody tries to have the look of the guys.
Me included with cap, beard and Nr.7 shirt (which I seldom wear nowadays) and all the technical madness that goes along with it.:D
But this is just a piece of the puzzle to get this successful.
Our Larry and Adam doesn't really look like them but this came on 2nd place for us. They have the passion and they are fantastic musicians.
This counts more than the look itself.
Our drummer was mad enough to buy the Yamaha silver sparke drumset.

Our singer was like a win in the Lottery.
It was hard enough to find somebody who can sing the U2 stuff proper.
And then he has the look even without sunglasses.
I think in the end its the overall show that counts.
A real show. What People see it's almost as important what they hear.
A good sound guy and good light guy is essential.
We do this since 2 years and still learning gig by gig.

Alex

www.u2-experience.de

Last edited:
I'm a drummer in a U2 tribute band too...If the four members in the band cop the moves like who they are playing it really makes it believable. If they dont look exactly like U2 then moving like U2 brings it to life. In order to play like Larry you need to move like Larry and feel the music the way he does. Getting inside another persons head is challenging enough...but I'm not into getting plastic surgery lol. We dress the part ( bono glasses, #7 shirt, hats) but having all 4 guys looking exactly like U2 is near impossible. Like someone said above playing U2's music correct is the main focus. Personally it bothers me more hearing other drummers putting their own spin on the parts and not playing anything like Larry.
But in reality nobody notices or focuses on the drummer...I usually get " you were just in that band" ? LOL !!!

I've seen a few great Adam and Larry's.

Scott Jones (tribute Adam) is fantastic. He's got the look, the swagger, can play the parts well and has the gear. How many Adam's do you know that have a Reverso signature Warwick, Candy Apple Red Reverso AND Fender Adam Clayton signature gold sparkle Precision bass? And as mentioned - He plays them all great.

Did he get the gold Korean model and get a custom paint job? I'd love to see photos of it if he has them :)

Hi guys...Thanks for the comments above EO. My 2 Adam Clayton Signature Reversos are German Custom-Built. Very expensive. I'm lucky to still be married.

Candy Apple Red version is a little heavier with a slightly shorter Buzzard-Style Headstock. Original Maple version sounds a little better to me with Active MEC PU's.

Hi guys...Thanks for the comments above EO. My 2 Adam Clayton Signature Reversos are German Custom-Built. Very expensive. I'm lucky to still be married.

Candy Apple Red version is a little heavier with a slightly shorter Buzzard-Style Headstock. Original Maple version sounds a little better to me with Active MEC PU's.

You have some drool-worthy bass gear. The 2-Warwick and 1-Fender Clayton models are great.

But lest I forget the Popmart Auerswald copy, relic'd Precision and your Lakland... just to name a few.

PS - Happy Birthday Scott !

Back
Top Bottom