Woody Harrelson/Song For Someone.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
dfhkfghn_zps39d83ca6.gif

I love how these singles don't represent the sound of the album at all.

I think the issue is that there is no one song to represent the album. The album is cohesive and better as a story, told from song 1 to the end. And as cohesive as it is, it goes light to dark, straight forward to the experiment, I'm just not sure there's a song that would sum it up.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I don't even see the point of a single at this stage, and especially not Song for Someone.

U2 are not at the point of their career where they are going to get a massive chart hit, especially not the third single from an album that was free. If the purpose of the single is more to get a bit of airplay to promote the tour and sell the tickets, then I really don't think a cliche snoozefest is going to do the job. Get people in the door by getting them excited and their blood pumping. Volcano or Cedarwood Road fit that bill.

But hey, whatever, release another shit song as a single. That seems to have been U2's general approach for a long time now.

Song for Someone is most like the tepid bullshit you'd hear on an "Adult Rock" station, so it doesn't surprise me that it would be the next single. It's easily the least memorable single they'll ever release and one of the worst album tracks they've ever done, but it could get noticed by some listeners.

Wouldn't surprise me if we got yet another single mix in order to make the track less boring.

California is/was their single
The Troubles is/was their single
The Crystal Ballroom is/was their single.
EBW was their single (for NLOTH!!!)
Volcano is/probably based on how things are going...the next next dumb dumb single.
U2 is/are seemingly destined to always be/have been for years...fucking estupido.

California will definitely get released, I think, as the single following SFS and the last one from SOI. Though five singles this time wouldn't shock me, given they may want something new out in Europe when they're touring there.

As individual's, all four seem extremely switched on and self-aware, I just can't fathom how they keep making such ridiculous mistakes with their single choices.

I sometimes wonder if their decision making process is too "inner circle". Maybe their critical friends aren't critical enough.

get the fans to do the decision-making then as no-one is apparently more critical than them it seems :crack:

i love this fecking song - what is wrong with some of you people?!

But hey, whatever, release another shit song as a single. That seems to have been U2's general approach for a long time now.

They must be out of their mind again

:doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh:

Even the song itself knows that people won't like it. "This is a song, a song for someone." Obviously, that is correct. And that someone is certainly not me. :D

get the fans to do the decision-making then as no-one is apparently more critical than them it seems :crack:

i love this fecking song - what is wrong with some of you people?!

I enjoy it too...a lot :)

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

This ranks somewhere between a 6 or 7 for me. There is nothing wrong with it. Call it classic coke U2. Longtime fans here shouldn't be the least surprised that this is a single for the band regardless of how they feel about the song. They made this decision a long time ago and it was featured heavily on their promo tour.
I don't understand why folks here get so worked up. These singles are not for us blue crack junkies. They're for everyone else. And, in cased you missed the memo, the "everyone else" is so fucked up that they can only handle some classic coke U2 or they wouldn't be able to function at all. We, of the blue, are the only ones left in the world that can handle the truly good stuff found in non-single U2 gems. It's been like this for decades now so deal with it if you haven't already.

Is "classic coke U2" the new term for familiar-sounding territory by the band?

Sent from my 831C using U2 Interference mobile app

Back
Top Bottom