Winter (Song) (DISCUSSION ONLY)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
According to the band when on the Zane Lowe show, Winter will probably be on the next album, but it needs to be finished.

So the idea that U2 put all the best songs on NLOTH and the next album will just be leftovers seems to be totally false after listening to Winter

YouTube - U2 Winter

Just from an initial listen, I'm underwhelmed. I can't think of any song on the album that should be replaced by this - they made the right decision. Some people in this thread are comparing it to Mercy. I'm not a big fan of Mercy, either.

What I can agree with are some of the comments that this song fits the tone of the big 8 songs of the album better. But should they have included a rather bland-ish song (inoffensive, as some have said) just for the sake of maintaining the tone of the album? I don't think so.

I enjoyed it. Some of the lyrics are not quite up to snuff (less cringeworthy than some of the stuff in SUC, GOYB or Crazy Tonight, IMO), but the music is beautiful. Yes, the strings at the beginning are slightly reminiscent of Viva la Vida, but that is truly where the similarities end. The major issue I have with it, and this actually goes for much of the album as well, is Bono being mixed so damn loud! I honestly think if the vocals were brought down just a little bit in this song it would sound a lot better. Also, I know others have mentioned this already, but it's really good to hear the Dallas clip pop up in there! I had a feeling it was somehow related to Winter when that clip first came out. Anyways...when a better quality rip comes out I think I shall be adding this to my album playlist.

im confused....is this on itunes as a bonus track. where did it come from?

Oh and isn't that keyboard/riff at the start the same as the guitar riff to mercy? (except Mercy was way more distorted)... Maybe that's why Mercy has not emerged on an album or b-side yet.

Just from an initial listen, I'm underwhelmed. I can't think of any song on the album that should be replaced by this - they made the right decision. Some people in this thread are comparing it to Mercy. I'm not a big fan of Mercy, either.

What I can agree with are some of the comments that this song fits the tone of the big 8 songs of the album better. But should they have included a rather bland-ish song (inoffensive, as some have said) just for the sake of maintaining the tone of the album? I don't think so.

yeah, it's so hard to really make an accurate judgement because the sound quality is so poor. from what i hear, i like it. don't know if i would want it to replace anything on the album though.

yeah, it's so hard to really make an accurate judgement because the sound quality is so poor. from what i hear, i like it. don't know if i would want it to replace anything on the album though.

I'd rather have it on the next album because it means theres at least one great song on it :up:

I don't think I've liked a U2 song this much since Electrical Storm (which was the first time I paid any attention to U2).

Man and things were so calm last night before I went to bed. :crack:

Woke up with it in my email box (thanks dan :wink: )

I like the music.

It does freaking sound like coldplay (the music).

Its nice, but I need a few more listens to let it sink in.

Yeah, I definitely need to hear a better version.

What I noticed with the album songs is that even the ones that didn't grab me right away, I still saw their potential to do so, and sort of filed them away in my brain in the part that's reserved for "probably amazing, but will take a few more listens." So far, every song has lived up to that for me, except WAS, and I'm sure that that one will join the others, eventually. I didn't get that feeling at all from listening to Winter, but I'm not completely discounting it, yet.

That toast part = the new "the air is heavy, heavy as a truck?" :hmm: :wink:

I'd rather have it on the next album because it means theres at least one great song on it :up:

I don't think I've liked a U2 song this much since Electrical Storm (which was the first time I paid any attention to U2).

well, there's still a good chance it could be on the next one. :) :drool:

i love this song especially the chorus its really melodic, but they could try and rearrange the beginning and the ending of the song

Yeah, I definitely need to hear a better version.

What I noticed with the album songs is that even the ones that didn't grab me right away, I still saw their potential to do so, and sort of filed them away in my brain in the part that's reserved for "probably amazing, but will take a few more listens." So far, every song has lived up to that for me, except WAS, and I'm sure that that one will join the others, eventually. I didn't get that feeling at all from listening to Winter, but I'm not completely discounting it, yet.

That toast part = the new "the air is heavy, heavy as a truck?" :hmm: :wink:
I feel the opposite. None of the songs grabbed me right away on the album, I had to get into the layers and the lyrics of the song. But Winter grabbed me right away without even really listening to the song and getting into the lyrics or layers.

If they got rid of the horrid intro, took another vocal take, polished up some things...This would have been a killer single!!!! "Summer sings in me no more"....I would have been :drool: if i was just blind sided by that song on the radio...It just sounds like a song thats meant to be heard on radio...:shrug:

I hope they fix it up and put it on the next album, so great yet so unfinished.

the more i listen to this the more i am liking it ..actually i think it is suppppper awesome :drool: except that colpdlay bit at the beginning is like an insect in my ear:angry:

I feel the opposite. None of the songs grabbed me right away on the album, I had to get into the layers and the lyrics of the song. But Winter grabbed me right away without even really listening to the song and getting into the lyrics or layers.

It's interesting the way people listen to and perceive music differently, isn't it? For me, the first ones to grab me, right from the time of the Walmart clips, actually, were NLOTH and Cedars. Just curious, what do you think of the album tracks now?

I'm sorry to burst into this thread, but I'm gathering no one is continuing to pass it on in the request thread.

Wow, this song is a blast to listen to! Maybe it could use some polishing up, but all in all I think this song has some of the passion that some here believe is missing on NLOTH. Granted, this song isn't much of a sonical departure, so I can see why it was left off, but I think this song would have made NLOTH more full. My vote goes toward placing this song either between Fez-Being Born and WAS or between WAS and Breathe. :up:

I'm sorry to burst into this thread, but I'm gathering no one is continuing to pass it on in the request thread.

Pretty sad considering bonocomet sent it to like over 100 people and none of them can share? :|

I like it better than Mercy, first off.

It's good that it's not on the album. It has huge potential, but it sounds very unfinished.
I hate the strings in the beginning. But the "opera" part in the ends is great. Now rewrite some of the lyrics (butter on toast, wtf?) and we it'll be a true U2 gem. Next album.

I really like Winter, really. However, I can kind of understand why it didn't make the record. Which leads me to another train of thought entirely:

I'd like to hear the other songs that could have been included along with Winter that would have made it fit. Furthermore, I'd like to hear more of what I heard from that cut of video from Here Is What Is. Those songs, even in their raw form in the video, seem to fit more in to the record then Stand Up Comedy or Crazy Tonight, in my opinion.

I wonder what goes in to the decision making process? I wish I could be there - don't we ALL?! They changed the Edge solo in Magnificent even. I was looking forward to hearing the solo I heard in the studio video. :drool:

Back
Top Bottom