Viva Eno! But has he saved the best for U2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
mmm the last part of Death and all his friends

"I don't want a cycle of recycled revenge"

best lyric on the album. Best song on the album. probably the only song I would put on either of the first two albums.

the rest is solid, but absolutely nothign compared to those first two. Eno made it interesting, without him, it would be shite

^ they'll never find that sound by trying to create TUF 2

Yeah, I know.. if they could only bring the "experimental" side of VLV, and the sound or style of A rush of blood, they would do brilliant things, just listen to the song Prospekt's March, it has that old style, but at the same time it sounds very atmospheric, and it's one of ,if not the best of the songs to come out of the sessions

Again, this makes no sense. Do you think the Beatles were completely original in their early years? No, they modeled their style of singing, playing, etc. based on what Carl Perkins, Elvis, Chuck Berry and Little Richard had done before them. McCartney still does throwbacks to these artists in his current music! U2 did the same thing when they were in their infant stages, taking cues from people like Bowie, etc. Every band goes through this process.

All I know is however much I love Bono, Chris Martin's lyrics in a song like Viva La Vida are heads and shoulders above rhyming submarine with gasonline.

Coldplay is the Third Band

The only similarities I found that caught my eyes, were that in Sgt. Pepper's and Achtung Baby there's fictional characters portrayed by members of the band, and the subsequent release of what was supposed to be an EP, "Magical Mystery Tour" and "Zooropa" respectively. The cover art for both of these are also strikingly similar :hmm:

Wow! How different different people hear things!

Cheese? How about the utterly impotent "New York?" How about the failure of "Grace?" How about the joke of "Walk On?" How about the crap version of "Elevation" on the album? (Although the song DID get a lot better live.) How about "Peace on Earth," which just might have upgraded itself to mediocre status if Bono had actually used some emotion when he sang it..... Or the boring "When I look at the world"....

How about the worst vocals in his career throughout???

I love some cheese, but they really pushed it on All That! LOL!

Impotent? New York? Surely not their best song by any stretch of the imagination...but has a little something going for it that nothing off Bomb does. And that is a warm, inviting atmosphere that complements the lyric, and a little bit of that thing called "mystery"- it doesn't preach to you, it just simply depicts a guy having a midlife crisis in the big apple, and leaves it off at that, with no closure or happy ending, just a guy trying to find himself. You wanna talk impotent? How's ABOY or Yahweh for starters? Two songs with flawed, boring hooks and cheesy, clumsy lyrics that don't even rock, not at all. They barely exist.

When I Look At The World has a guitar solo from Edge that defecates all over every half-assed solo he phoned in off Bomb.

Grace isn't a failure, it's one of my favorite tracks. It's soothing, has terrific chord changes, the synth instrumentation is otherwordly, and it ends the album on a heavenly note, without having to condescendingly shout the Lord's name in a squeeky Michael Brady way as if to remind the listener "this is about God, therefore it is inspirational and deep."

Elevation is a funky, lighthearted space-age dance song with perfect production. Not trying to change the world in this song, it's just about having fun, and i can overlook the "mole in a hole" line because at least it is sung to a memorable melody that actually takes off, leads you somewhere, beyond the parameters of predictable chords and hooks, which was Bomb's overall technique.

Peace On Earth? Cheesy? It's an agnostic song that has real pain and anger lying under the surface, which is a surface of Christmas music, a clever choice that plays out in perfect juxtoposition to what is actually being said. A hell of a lot more ballsy than LAPOE's trite hippy slogans and generic protests of "we need some release..gimme love and peace". I don't care how many layers u add on, the song isn't even impotent, it is castrated. It's the kind of song Bono was rallying against with Peace On Earth.

Walk On, while far from being my favorite, at least competently serves it's purpose in restoring hope in humanity, and does so in a sincere fashion, while off Bomb i find nothing sincere in any song, just a washed up band going thru the motions, and ruining any potential good songs they had (Native Son) by shying away from true artistry, and in the end simplifying everything until it becomes the Grammy-pandering album it truly ended up becoming, all while omitting the best, most thought-provoking songs (Fast Cars, Mercy-which, while i don't love, i atleast admire it for it's atmospheric beauty)

There, i think i've said it all now.

I don't mind Coldplay :reject: with their best album in my opinion being AROBTTH. VLV isn't all that good though. Very bland and boring if you ask me. I'd rather listen to Air Supply than listen to VLV :ohmy:

Elevation is a funky, lighthearted space-age dance song with perfect production. Not trying to change the world in this song, it's just about having fun, and i can overlook the "mole in a hole" line because at least it is sung to a memorable melody that actually takes off, leads you somewhere, beyond the parameters of predictable chords and hooks, which was Bomb's overall technique.

This I can't agree with at all. I think the production is completely inappropriate and drains all of the power out of the song. Elevation really is live or nothing for me.

Also, play Elevation on an acoustic guitar sometime. There is nothing interesting or challenging about its chord progression/melody.

Impotent? New York? Surely not their best song by any stretch of the imagination...but has a little something going for it that nothing off Bomb does. And that is a warm, inviting atmosphere that complements the lyric, and a little bit of that thing called "mystery"- it doesn't preach to you, it just simply depicts a guy having a midlife crisis in the big apple, and leaves it off at that, with no closure or happy ending, just a guy trying to find himself. You wanna talk impotent? How's ABOY or Yahweh for starters? Two songs with flawed, boring hooks and cheesy, clumsy lyrics that don't even rock, not at all. They barely exist.

When I Look At The World has a guitar solo from Edge that defecates all over every half-assed solo he phoned in off Bomb.

Grace isn't a failure, it's one of my favorite tracks. It's soothing, has terrific chord changes, the synth instrumentation is otherwordly, and it ends the album on a heavenly note, without having to condescendingly shout the Lord's name in a squeeky Michael Brady way as if to remind the listener "this is about God, therefore it is inspirational and deep."

Peace On Earth? Cheesy? It's an agnostic song that has real pain and anger lying under the surface, which is a surface of Christmas music, a clever choice that plays out in perfect juxtoposition to what is actually being said. A hell of a lot more ballsy than LAPOE's trite hippy slogans and generic protests of "we need some release..gimme love and peace". I don't care how many layers u add on, the song isn't even impotent, it is castrated. It's the kind of song Bono was rallying against with Peace On Earth.

Walk On, while far from being my favorite, at least competently serves it's purpose in restoring hope in humanity, and does so in a sincere fashion, while off Bomb i find nothing sincere in any song, just a washed up band going thru the motions, and ruining any potential good songs they had (Native Son) by shying away from true artistry, and in the end simplifying everything until it becomes the Grammy-pandering album it truly ended up becoming, all while omitting the best, most thought-provoking songs (Fast Cars, Mercy-which, while i don't love, i atleast admire it for it's atmospheric beauty)

There, i think i've said it all now.

Hey, with respect, I don't think I agreed with anything that you said!:lol: You don't like the U2 songs I love, and I think some of the ones you love are failures..... I don't even think New York was good enough to be a B-side! Worst lyric Bono has EVER given us! Worse than any given speech on Africa right before a tired war-horse performance of One..... different strokes for different folks!:wave:

But I gotta say..... are you being ironic when you say Elevation was "perfectly produced???" WOW!

Hey, with respect, I don't think I agreed with anything that you said!:lol: You don't like the U2 songs I love, and I think some of the ones you love are failures..... I don't even think New York was good enough to be a B-side! Worst lyric Bono has EVER given us! Worse than any given speech on Africa right before a tired war-horse performance of One..... different strokes for different folks!:wave:

But I gotta say..... are you being ironic when you say Elevation was "perfectly produced???" WOW!

Not being ironic at all. I think the sounds were balanced very well, you can make out every nuance of every instrument. Especially in the chorus, where those Eno synths hover in the background, providing an airy, weightless vibe, while Edge does those subtle "deedle eedle eee"'s (sorry that's the best way i can describe it) underneath. And that middle 8 i think sounds fucking cool, with those futuristc voices and the way it kicks back into "A MOLE!" So, as far as a pop production goes, i find it to be very effective and well balanced. Definitely transcends the song above average.

As for New York, i don't see how that could be Bono's worst lyric. Can you provide examples of why? Cuz i jsut don't see it with lines like "i lost it all to you and your vices" and "you forget how to sit still. tell yourself you will stay in but it's down to alphaville." "Irish been coming here for years. Feels like they own the place."

I don't think he is. ATYCLB and JT are by far U2's best produced albums. I can't see anything wrong with Elevations production. The song doesn't do anything for me, but it feels natural and fluid. Yes, it's simplistic. Yes, it's a little silly. It sounds like it came about naturaly though. Not pieced together by a team of writers and technicians and a pit crew and a huge production line. I think the point is that compare it and Beautiful Day to Vertigo and All Because of You and it's no contest. And I don't really even like Elevation.

A thread about Coldplay is opened and people here use it again for bashing U2's last two albums. :huh:

This has nothing to do with the new U2 album and should be closed.

I like Coldplay, but their latest music is very much a ripoff of other bands. I liked Viva when it came out and even went to two concerts, which were great, but they will never be U2. I am annoyed when I hear Viva or Violet Hill on the radio today, the songs on their album just haven't aged well and I don't have much desire to go back and listen to them again.

And ATYCLB is a classic U2 album, I stand by that. It's one of the few albums I listen to from start to finish.

Not being ironic at all. I think the sounds were balanced very well, you can make out every nuance of every instrument. Especially in the chorus, where those Eno synths hover in the background, providing an airy, weightless vibe, while Edge does those subtle "deedle eedle eee"'s (sorry that's the best way i can describe it) underneath. And that middle 8 i think sounds fucking cool, with those futuristc voices and the way it kicks back into "A MOLE!" So, as far as a pop production goes, i find it to be very effective and well balanced. Definitely transcends the song above average.

As for New York, i don't see how that could be Bono's worst lyric. Can you provide examples of why? Cuz i jsut don't see it with lines like "i lost it all to you and your vices" and "you forget how to sit still. tell yourself you will stay in but it's down to alphaville." "Irish been coming here for years. Feels like they own the place."

You and I have very different taste! I feel like you just gave ample example of bad lyrics from the song.... This isn't an objective question where one of us will convince the other.... TO ME New York is the worst lyric Bono has ever given us... To you it isn't.

And there's no debate to have as far as Elevation either. I think that whole ALBUM was terribly produced. That's opinion and neither of us will convince the other. I feel like the song got a lot better live, but was just an embarrassment on the album. It was only the excitement of hearing a new U2 album at all that allowed me to enjoy it at first...

And to those complaining that there are tangents in this conversation - welcome to organic human discourse! Lately, I wonder if people want any kind of conversation to exist here at all with all the thread closings and mergings and tangent prosecutions..... come on, lets be human! It's SUPPOSED to be messy!!!!!!! :wave::applaud::lol::ohmy::hyper::love::hmm:

This thread is going to turn for the worse because you won't find anyone who hates Coldplay more than me. Any opportunity to complete rip them to pieces and I will gladly take it, particularly if anyone tries to compare them to U2 in anyway.
The more U2 can get away from sounding like Coldplay the better. Fair enough Eno did some good work on their new album and the production is great, but who cares, they are still bland rubbish. Only my opinion of course, but I can't stand people mentioning Coldplay in the same breath as U2, they have never been and will never be in the same class or anywhere U2's level. Everytime that band is mentioned it is cringing, with their stupid french revolutionary style costumes/uniforms and blank emotionless expressions. They have nowhere near the same amount of creativity or innovation to create musically diverse albums and haven't proved that in any of their work up until now.
End of rant.

A thread about Coldplay is opened and people here use it again for bashing U2's last two albums. :huh:

This has nothing to do with the new U2 album and should be closed.

I like Coldplay, but their latest music is very much a ripoff of other bands. I liked Viva when it came out and even went to two concerts, which were great, but they will never be U2. I am annoyed when I hear Viva or Violet Hill on the radio today, the songs on their album just haven't aged well and I don't have much desire to go back and listen to them again.

And ATYCLB is a classic U2 album, I stand by that. It's one of the few albums I listen to from start to finish.

Whatever. "Nobody cares about your opinion of" (ATYCLB).
(that was just a quote you posted sometime ago to refresh your memory, you're welcome)

the original post was not about coldplay, it was about the brilliant job eno had done and if he was capable of doing it aghain for his "favourite"band.
People need to understand that coldplay was fresh to his ear and experience in the studio. U2 have done some incredible work with the guy and it will be interesting to see if they still connect like they did years ago. If people make this a U2bash threat, let them have their way. Who cares anyway if people like yourself like Wild honey or hate it. It is just discussing stuff, not a matter of life and death and all his friends:wave:

You and I have very different taste! I feel like you just gave ample example of bad lyrics from the song.... This isn't an objective question where one of us will convince the other.... TO ME New York is the worst lyric Bono has ever given us... To you it isn't.

And there's no debate to have as far as Elevation either. I think that whole ALBUM was terribly produced. That's opinion and neither of us will convince the other. I feel like the song got a lot better live, but was just an embarrassment on the album. It was only the excitement of hearing a new U2 album at all that allowed me to enjoy it at first...

And to those complaining that there are tangents in this conversation - welcome to organic human discourse! Lately, I wonder if people want any kind of conversation to exist here at all with all the thread closings and mergings and tangent prosecutions..... come on, lets be human! It's SUPPOSED to be messy!!!!!!! :wave::applaud::lol::ohmy::hyper::love::hmm:

Yea, seriously. What's with all the thread closings? If we're crossing some line i'm sure the moderator will point it out for us.

Just for the record, i do not in any way think New York is Bono's best lyric. I think it's, at best...adequate. I don't find anything really cringworthy, except for maybe the "irish, italians, jews and hispanics" part. But for the most part it just serves its purpose, and serves the song. I'm more into the sound of New York than Bono's contribution anyway.

ATYCLB i think is immaculately produced. It's a mainstream pop album, and a good one at that. Once again, not even close to being my favorite album, but i'll take its soothing, comforting soundscapes any day over the nails-on-a-chalkboard attack of BOMB.

Do not patronise me. Musical coincidences are entirely possible. This is almost as silly as the argument put forth by U2 fans who insist that David Gilmour stole the riff for "Take It Back" from ISHFWILF.
youre not getting what were saying. Coldplay didnt borrow they stole straight out. Take it back is similar to What Im Looking For but its not identical.

YouTube - Coldplay - Life in Technicolor

after the eno intro when coldplay actually starts, the main melody, the main part you hear in your head when you think about it later.

YouTube - Depeche Mode Strangelove with lyrics

the main melody is the same, the exact same.

youre already aware of the Satch song and kraftwerk. I believe they credited Kraftwerk because they absolutely had to and didnt have a choice.

I think that whole ALBUM was terribly produced. That's opinion and neither of us will convince the other.

True, it's an opinion, but I'd say it's one where you are running against 99.99999999999% of this forum. Can I ask which album you think is the best produced?

There are few things this forum as a whole agrees on. One is that U2 shouldn't ever again perform in a Kmart. Best/Worst produced albums would be another.

Best produced albums: Joshua Tree and All That You Can't Leave Behind.
Worst produced albums: Pop and How to Dismantle Your Legacy.

I'd say pretty much everyone here would agree with that.

I actually prefer X & Y over viva la vida, the title track is awful, really terrible. My fave Coldplay album is A Rush Of Blood...
I hope that the new album holds back on the classic U2 sound and if the new single is anything to go by, (which it may not be) it wont.

What on earth is the 'classic' U2 sound? The one they had for a couple of albums in the 80s?

Edge playing 5 delaynotes on his Korg SDD-3000s that ends up sounding like a wall of beauty.

Bono singing his longs out without pitchBS

Adam being Adam

Larry still looking 14 and drumming like a he did on WOWY 1987 live

:wink:

I think 'classic' U2 is just anytime at least 50% of the band have shown up somewhere dressed very poorly.

"Ahh, you see that getup? Terrible. Classic U2."

Just listened to the latest Coldplay record which is an incredible piece of work that fills me up with hope that U2 used to give me. I am very curious if Eno has succeeded with U2 to create something like this. Whether you like coldplay or not and I lost them a bit on the incredibly whinny X&Y, this album KICKS ASS!!!!! I am curious if brain ENO has saved the best for U2 or he used it all up so to say on this record because his production of Viva la vida is absolutely brilliant

Read a comment recently about if U2 would produce utter BS it would still sound better than anything these guys or KOL for instance are capable of making. This pisses me off a bit and doesnt help in discussing the band we ALL love because it is complete crap

I am being honest to myself here but u2 have not produced a masterpiece for a long time and I want it desperately, I REALLY DO!

:wave:

To summarize:
- You hate HTDAAB
- Dislike GOYB
- like Viva La Vida

Damn :doh:. I think you are the problem here :wink: (half kidding). Well I just hope that you are going to really HATE the new album, that's all I have to say about it.

Back
Top Bottom